U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 10,687 times

Advertisements

So I moved to Houston on Monday and ever since ive been here people have been asking me for money. Some of them have nicer clothes then I do...which makes little sense to me. I would hate to say no to someone in need but these people just dont seem needy just lazy. Regardless how do the rest of you guys deal with beggers? What do you do in that situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,809,835 times
Houston doesn't really have that many compared to other large cities. At least there are no more beggars here than anywhere else.

most people who are homeless are way more than just in need, but the point is giving them spare change isn't going to help them. you just keep walking

Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 PM

32,260 posts, read 49,828,099 times
They are in every city. Large or small.
I don't mind to buy someone who claims to be hungry a sandwich or taco, but I am not giving money.
You don't have to say anything, or you can say you don't have cash, just credit card and just keep walking. Most of them are polite and don't talk back or bother.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,221,352 times
Welcome to the big city. It's not like they aren't in every single other of the few largest cities in America.

I usually do not give to beggars. I will give money to guys who play music and very few and far between people who might get lucky that day. I gave a dollar to an asian lady once...even though she was probably raking it from working that street corner for just one day.

Growing up in the city, you learn to shrug most of them off. Don't let them all make you feel guilty when they stare at you with those sad puppy-dog eyes. They know which methods make people feel guilty..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM

105 posts, read 168,074 times
Yeah, I just say "I'm sorry" and move on. I remember once in Detroit a guy asked me for a dollar. I said no. He gave me a good life lesson saying "You Indians are stingy, you need to give more". I had a good laugh.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 PM

114 posts, read 210,279 times
We have approximately 13,000 homeless people in Houston out of 2.2 million people. That's a pretty large amount per capita (by comparison, NY has around 35,000 to 8+ million).

Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,423,017 times
I seem to getting hit up a lot lately when I am in parking lots or pumping gas.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:41 AM

3,367 posts, read 5,284,043 times
You haven't had someone try to squeegee your windshield with a bucket o' dirty water yet?

Not a whole lotta' panhandlers here in La Porte by HWY 146, but I did get approached one morning before 4am while pumping gas (sitting in the truck at that moment, though) by a lady that had the cancer stick going while standing three feet away from the nozzle in action.

That was thoughtful of her to fling the cancer stick away quickly, but I had no cash on me, anyway...jakes on her.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM

3,333 posts, read 7,671,507 times
If they're overly affrontive, I say "Do I LOOK like your Daddy?". One dude downtown had a nice approach so I said "Look. I'll give you $5 and I want to watch you go across the street and buy a sandwich." He took the money, went across the street, went in, came out (no sandwich) and went on his way." He hit me up again a few days later and I said "Hey. Remember when I gave you..... and you didn't?". Walks right past me now.

Best sign I ever saw was "Don't want money. Please give me a donut from Shipley's and some coffee."

To editorialize, I have more respect for panhandlers than I do the covert panhandlers that don't/won't work, get food stamps and buy Twinkies and Ho-Ho's by the dozen at Food Town.

Ronnie

Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 AM

4,468 posts, read 11,120,336 times
Panhandling can bring in a good 30k a year for the professionals. A decent living if you have no pride or morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or