U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 PM

25 posts, read 93,918 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Falcon Ranch in Katy and am shocked to discover how limited the internet and phone choices are. Right now I bundle all my services with SBC/ATT and pay $7 for basic phone service (we use cell phones for most everything, just need landline for 911, security system), 14.99 for DSL internet, and 24.99 for dish cable. I can transfer the dish, but the phone and internet will not transfer to that area. I can't find prices even close to what i am paying. Comcast is outrageous! They would be a little more reasonable if they offered the triple bundle where I live, but they do not. As it is I would have to pay about $50 a month for internet! And the cheapest phone I can find is 19.99 and while that isn't bad, I don't need all those features. Just a basic landline. What do you all pay? Have any of you figured a way around paying so much for phone and internet who live in Katy? What about netzero or peoplepc? I wonder if they are any good. I don't need blazing fast speed, but I also don't want to spend all day waiting for the internet to catch up. I do everything on line..pay bills, look for jobs, communicate with family, reserach stuff... But I just can't bring myself to pay $50 a month, not including outrageous installation fees! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,235,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehutch79 View Post
I am moving to Falcon Ranch in Katy and am shocked to discover how limited the internet and phone choices are. Right now I bundle all my services with SBC/ATT and pay $7 for basic phone service (we use cell phones for most everything, just need landline for 911, security system), 14.99 for DSL internet, and 24.99 for dish cable. I can transfer the dish, but the phone and internet will not transfer to that area. I can't find prices even close to what i am paying. Comcast is outrageous! They would be a little more reasonable if they offered the triple bundle where I live, but they do not. As it is I would have to pay about $50 a month for internet! And the cheapest phone I can find is 19.99 and while that isn't bad, I don't need all those features. Just a basic landline. What do you all pay? Have any of you figured a way around paying so much for phone and internet who live in Katy? What about netzero or peoplepc? I wonder if they are any good. I don't need blazing fast speed, but I also don't want to spend all day waiting for the internet to catch up. I do everything on line..pay bills, look for jobs, communicate with family, reserach stuff... But I just can't bring myself to pay $50 a month, not including outrageous installation fees! Help!
As I said in my previous post, I pay Comcast $42.95 for my Internet and the Cable is like $59.00 per month. I pay Vonage $30 (some change) per month and it works with my Security system (Brinks). Although they'll try to tell you in the beginning that the system won't communicate with Vonage. With a few phone calls and complaint letters threatning to terminate my service, they got it right. Unfortunately I was paying less with Time Warner bundle package when I lived in the city (cable, Internet, and phone) but Time Warner didn't offer phone service on the Western portions of Katy. Unfortunately, I don't think AT&T nor Comcast will ever be able to get into this area because Consolidated has this market "on lock down"

Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 AM

25 posts, read 93,918 times
thanks for the info ayanna

Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,363,117 times
I use Vonage for my phone (24.95) vs. consolidated(over 60.00)for everything, cosolidated is a rip off for phone service. You have to have a dsl internet connection therefor I had to use consolidated for that. I went with the cheepest rate(24.00) they have and you'll get $12 dollars off for the first 8 mo.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 12,617 times
Smile Are you happy with those services?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I use Vonage for my phone (24.95) vs. consolidated(over 60.00)for everything, cosolidated is a rip off for phone service. You have to have a dsl internet connection therefor I had to use consolidated for that. I went with the cheepest rate(24.00) they have and you'll get $12 dollars off for the first 8 mo.
Hi,
I was just wondering if you were happy with those services? I have internet, phone and security with a company called Entouch. Frankly they are terrible. The phone is expensive and the internet goes down all the time. I was wondering how the phone is with Vonage- does it go down at all? What about the DSL with consolidated- any problems with it? I want to switch but I want to make an informed decision and also save money.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 9,995 times
Default Comcast Cable TV and Internet

DO NOT get comcast no matter what!!!! They are the worse customer service company I've ever dealt with. here's a few examples.
1 initial hookup order done online ...they failed to call for appt, then when I called they said they didn't have service in my area even though I told them that I was watching "Comcast" on my TV in my appartment for free. I moved 6 months later to my new house.
2. failed to show up for installation, so I called and complained then they committed. A tech showed up at 10:15 PM without the proper tools, no flashlight and no ladder. I loaned him my tools, etc. He couldnt find the cable so he ran a new one across my lawn. That was 2 years ago, and it's still on the lawn along with the first cable which was exposed anyway.
3. I just went to the comcast store a week ago to get an HD box. I hooked it up and it doesnt work. After 2 online sessions, they told me to call and schedule an appt. for a tech to come out. Yesterday Comcast called to confirm the appt and I confirmed. I did (the earliest was today), and my wife took the afternoon off work to meet the tech. They didn't show, and when she called they said that the tech called to "confirm" but since we didnt answer the phone they cancelled the appt. The time that they claimed the tech made the call was 13 mins before the appt. We called customer service to complain and quoted their website service policy to "repect the customer's time...etc" and they told us that it didn't apply to existing customers. Well HD still not working...going to cancel all Comcast service...ordered Direct TV and now looking for new internet service...tired of being screwed by Comcast. DO NOT use Comcast...you will be sorry.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,146,893 times
Get a magicjack. $19.95 a YEAR. It costs $39 to buy the device and one year of service. Works just as good as VOIP for me. I had Vonage, and it worked fine. But when I moved I called to cancel and they put me on hold for close to an hour. Never again. I had Comcast phone, and it worked fine, but WAY overpriced. Only thing is you need to leave a computer on 24/7 if you want to use the magicjack all the time.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM

404 posts, read 608,560 times
Magic Jack doesn't work too well sometimes. I have it as well.

If you have a laptop, I'd suggest it as well, but leaving a desktop computer on 24/7 is a very bad idea. You'll definitely run up your electricity bill.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 9,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehutch79 View Post
not sure if you got your issues resolved but I have IP phone through my cell provider (which allows me to use my landline phone at home and I don't have to use a phone company or pay for long distanct calls). This alone saves me about $50 a month because the cost is only $9.99 per month for the IP phone. My security system runs off that as well, and it has a cell back up so never goes out even if the power goes down. As for my tv use Dish Net and they have no problem with me not having a landline. Hope that this gives you some options.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 AM

72 posts, read 76,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgengler View Post
not sure if you got your issues resolved but I have IP phone through my cell provider (which allows me to use my landline phone at home and I don't have to use a phone company or pay for long distanct calls). This alone saves me about $50 a month because the cost is only $9.99 per month for the IP phone. My security system runs off that as well, and it has a cell back up so never goes out even if the power goes down. As for my tv use Dish Net and they have no problem with me not having a landline. Hope that this gives you some options.
what company are you doing this IP phone thing with? never heard of that...do you know if you're able to port your landline number to this IP phone..not sure how this works..thx..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston