U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM

41 posts, read 71,463 times

Advertisements

Hello. Our family would like to move to either Houston or San Antonio this summer. We've read and heard many great things about both cities, but does anyone have an opinion on one versus the other. Can you recommend some good areas to look in Houston? We want an area with a good high school and a safe, culturally diverse area, with friendly people. We're looking in the 250K to 400K range. We will be working from home, but we'd like to live in an area that has some neighborhood bars, shops, restaurants, etc. (We currently live in a Colorado suburb with no diversity, where the closest bar is a 15-20 minute drive and neighbors pretty much keep to themselves, so we're looking for the opposite kind of situation). Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,056,080 times
I lived in San antonio until two years ago moved to Pecan Grove Richmond
it is about 15 mins from Sugarland. Great area lots of restaurants and bars beautiful houses

Old 06-27-2012, 02:15 PM

142 posts, read 268,880 times
You should visit both first you decide (and drive through the cities don't just hit the tourist hot spots)they are completly different from the way of life to scenery to demographics and they are in different regions of Texas. I've lived in both and if you really like one your probably not gonna like the other. You can get very nice houses in your price range in either city, Houston is a very international city and it functions like one. Your diversity problem in the suburbs will be instantly solved and Houston has something (especially restaurants) for just about every counrty and ethnicity in the world. San Antonio Mainly caters to the Mexican Culture. San Antonio's only "nice" areas that I saw when i was there are north of the city along 1604. In Houston in your price range you can get a nice house in Cypress, Katy, Clear Lake, Sugar Land, League City, Kingwood, the list goes on and on. Houston is on the bay with easy access to Galveston Island, Lots of fishing and water sports. San Antonio is closer to the Hill Country and has some lakes and good areas for hunting and is couple of hours from Mexico and a few hours from the coast. Some people prefer Houston and some prefer San Antonio but it would be a good idea to really get a feel of both.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
I lived in San antonio until two years ago moved to Pecan Grove Richmond
it is about 15 mins from Sugarland. Great area lots of restaurants and bars beautiful houses
Thanks, I'll google it.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
You should visit both first you decide (and drive through the cities don't just hit the tourist hot spots)they are completly different from the way of life to scenery to demographics and they are in different regions of Texas. I've lived in both and if you really like one your probably not gonna like the other. You can get very nice houses in your price range in either city, Houston is a very international city and it functions like one. Your diversity problem in the suburbs will be instantly solved and Houston has something (especially restaurants) for just about every counrty and ethnicity in the world. San Antonio Mainly caters to the Mexican Culture. San Antonio's only "nice" areas that I saw when i was there are north of the city along 1604. In Houston in your price range you can get a nice house in Cypress, Katy, Clear Lake, Sugar Land, League City, Kingwood, the list goes on and on. Houston is on the bay with easy access to Galveston Island, Lots of fishing and water sports. San Antonio is closer to the Hill Country and has some lakes and good areas for hunting and is couple of hours from Mexico and a few hours from the coast. Some people prefer Houston and some prefer San Antonio but it would be a good idea to really get a feel of both.
Just got back from 10 days in San Antonio. Almost bought there and really loved it but they have a serious crime issue so we're really unsure about SA. The crime in SA doesn't seem to be isolated to bad areas as it often is larger cities, (that's the way it is here in Denver). I think we'll try to come back and fly to Houston this time and take a look around. I'll check out the areas you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or