Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,614 times

Advertisements

I don't know the truth to it. I lived in Minnesota for +17 years and in Houston for 1+ year.
I have met several more extreme obese people in Houston in 1 year than in my 17 years in Minnesota.
These are the people that I personally know, not just a stranger passer by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
I don't know the truth to it. I lived in Minnesota for +17 years and in Houston for 1+ year.
I have met several more extreme obese people in Houston in 1 year than in my 17 years in Minnesota.
These are the people that I personally know, not just a stranger passer by.
You'd think MN people would be pretty fat. It's so cold you stay inside. Inside, on the couch = food. Yet Houston is so hot people stay inside, couch, never push away from the table.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Well lets see, I'm not in an upper income bracket but I am at the gym 4-5 days per week. I don't think I am vain, turns out that although going to the gym isn't my favorite hobby, I like the way I feel healthwise and like what it does to my body appearance when I make it a routine hobby.
But the upper income people can afford the plastic surgeries, spas, designers morw yhan average person can.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
Aside from any evidence that Houstonians are vain or fat ... the fact is that Houston has a stereotyped image that writers and magazines can invoke when they wanna cook up junk articles w/o going to the trouble of gathering real data and analyzing it rationally. Houstonians may or may not be vainer or physically fatter that the rest of America, but America sure seems to be getting lazy and fat intellectually.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Aside from any evidence that Houstonians are vain or fat ... the fact is that Houston has a stereotyped image that writers and magazines can invoke when they wanna cook up junk articles w/o going to the trouble of gathering real data and analyzing it rationally. Houstonians may or may not be vainer or physically fatter that the rest of America, but America sure seems to be getting lazy and fat intellectually.
True!

Magazines have to fill up space to surround their ads. They usually don't hire Pulitzer winners to write that garbage - and never bother to verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: