Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
My comment was sarcastic but I am sure you already picked that up. Though I wish I could have gotten something by now as Houston and Texas are touted almost daily as 'the place' where to do business and find jobs. But alas my job search continues and my funds dwindles....
Well, we are outsourcing accounting jobs at a record pace. I'm not sure it will be easy to find anything there. I have a few friends here in Chicago that are on the market for accounting jobs and have been looking for 12 months. One event went back to get their MBA while they waited. Still nothing. I wish you luck. But that is probably one of the weaker industries in Houston to be looking for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM

84 posts, read 192,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Well, we are outsourcing accounting jobs at a record pace. I'm not sure it will be easy to find anything there. I have a few friends here in Chicago that are on the market for accounting jobs and have been looking for 12 months. One event went back to get their MBA while they waited. Still nothing. I wish you luck. But that is probably one of the weaker industries in Houston to be looking for work.
Well I hear the same thing for IT, Engineering etc when it comes to out-sourcing or having experience before getting hired. Yet I know graduates with a Political Science degree find jobs as Behavioral Research Assistants in M.D Anderson center (no real link to their education I might add) almost right out of college making big-money. So it varies but I just wanted to caution people that the hoop-la about Houston/Texas as place where jobs are abundant and almost guaranteed are not totally grounded in reality either. Other states may have it worse but it's not that rosy here either.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
Yet I know graduates with a Political Science degree find jobs as Behavioral Research Assistants in M.D Anderson center (no real link to their education I might add) almost right out of college making big-money.
Unless something has changed rather dramatically within the last few years (which I doubt), I think your friend who told you they were making "big money" as a research assistant at MDACC was pulling your leg. I worked there in research in a higher position than that, and the salary was still quite low for someone with an advanced degree... which is a lot of why I accepted a competing offer elsewhere (different industry.) Only the research people with RN licenses seemed to make acceptable money (were doing the exact same thing, just had the RN license which seemed to be automatically almost $20k more in salary.) So, I left for greener pastures. Maybe that's why they are just getting political science majors... at least my degree, and my colleagues when I was there, were relevant to the job.

But that is a clue - in Houston, the medical and energy industries are king. You might look for opportunities in those industries, if you haven't already.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 AM

84 posts, read 192,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Unless something has changed rather dramatically within the last few years (which I doubt), I think your friend who told you they were making "big money" as a research assistant at MDACC was pulling your leg. I worked there in research in a higher position than that, and the salary was still quite low for someone with an advanced degree... which is a lot of why I accepted a competing offer elsewhere (different industry.) Only the research people with RN licenses seemed to make acceptable money (were doing the exact same thing, just had the RN license which seemed to be automatically almost $20k more in salary.) So, I left for greener pastures. Maybe that's why they are just getting political science majors... at least my degree, and my colleagues when I was there, were relevant to the job.

But that is a clue - in Houston, the medical and energy industries are king. You might look for opportunities in those industries, if you haven't already.
I am sure she is pulling my leg but even with lower pay the benefits must be good and that she has a job with M.D Anderson (must look good on the resume at least). It just feels little disappointing that someone with B.S in Accounting, 3.80 GPA and about 1 year of lower level accounting experience is having so much issues finding a entry level Staff Accountant position with a decent company while that person got hired a week after her graduating semester ended.

Anyways back to my job search while I still have few hours before heading to my job....

Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
I have been in Houston 4 years and am moving to Columbus, Ohio next week. I am completely neutral on Houston. My wife and I had good jobs and made good money but our quality of life was not that great. We learned that money does not equal happiness.

The heat wears on you, at first you think this isn't that bad but you get to the point where going outside is a bad thing. I never see my neighbors because of the heat, everyone drives home parks in their garage and you don't see them again til the morning when they leave again. I also miss the deep rooted communities that more established cities have. In Houston everyone is a move in so the communities do not have deep rooted characteristics and traditions. The final negative is traffic. Nothing is close in Houston and the highways seem to be bumper to bumper all day long.

I do not regret living in Houston for the last four years. It was a good growing experience for my wife and I. However the minute she got a job offer in Columbus, Ohio we jumped at the chance to move. Houston will treat you well financially but before you know it time passes you by and you find that the extra things in life that you have always cherished are no longer part of your life because the city is all work no play. Everyone here is chasing the almighty dollar.
I highly doubt you lived in the city of Houston, much less inside of 610. 2 different worlds

Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamakota View Post
We came from NJ last year and it was the best decision we've ever made. We also like the heat.. a lot! so humidity & hot temps are not too much of the problem for us - much much better than shoveling snow for 3+ months each year (except the last year.. of course :-) ).

Real estate is super cheap and new, gas is cheap, no state income tax, PEOPLE ARE SO MUCH NICER (we are still learning these new ways ;-) ), job prospects & economy are above averages. Yes, there is a high potential for hurricanes & floods, but eventually, anyone living in the states must make a choice: snow storms in the north-east, tornadoes in the mid west, earthquakes in the west and hurricanes here. We can't have it all.. I love Houston. Yes - it's not as hip and interesting as NY or Chiacgo (is rather borking here I'd say..) but it's a good place to live. Let me know if you guys decide to come down! Good luck!
Again, no way you lived in Houston. I highly doubt you lived within 610 or spent much time there. With the exception of the galleria area, I wouldn't live anywhere outside of loop 610 in Houston.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 AM

391 posts, read 922,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Again, no way you lived in Houston. I highly doubt you lived within 610 or spent much time there. With the exception of the galleria area, I wouldn't live anywhere outside of loop 610 in Houston.
Well since he is from New Jersey, I am sure everything here is far cheaper when compared to New Jersey. You can live inside the loop and still think Houston is boring if you don't get out of your house and go out to have fun.

Anyhow, I am glad to see this guy loves Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston