U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM
 
1,475 posts, read 2,345,552 times
Reputation: 1241

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Probably these millionaires are millionaires because they worked for it. I would assume the majority still work in the field that made them rich. That is why they still live here. I doubt many millionaires come to Houston to live. Although, there is a lifestly here for the elite as Houston has one of the largest income disparites in the country. That is one of my main main problems with Houston: the small middle class.
I have to disagree with you there. I would argue Houston has one of the largest middle classes in the country. Not because they make so much money, but because of the affordability of Houston. What makes a middle class to me is not income levels but quality of life. Home ownership is very high in Houston. When a family is employed, owns a home, has two cars in the driveway and isn't drowning in debt because of high costs of living, that to me is middle class.

When you look at cities like NY, Boston, Chicago and NY were much lower percentage of people own a home, have two cars and where they are in debt up to their eyeballs, that is where the income disparity is. Trust me, I've lived in all those places.

I would really like to hear your definition of middle class but no such class exists in NY or most of the east cost for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 PM
 
1,475 posts, read 2,345,552 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I have to disagree with you there. I would argue Houston has one of the largest middle classes in the country. Not because they make so much money, but because of the affordability of Houston. What makes a middle class to me is not income levels but quality of life. Home ownership is very high in Houston. When a family is employed, owns a home, has two cars in the driveway and isn't drowning in debt because of high costs of living, that to me is middle class.

When you look at cities like NY, Boston, Chicago and NY were much lower percentage of people own a home, have two cars and where they are in debt up to their eyeballs, that is where the income disparity is. Trust me, I've lived in all those places.

I would really like to hear your definition of middle class but no such class exists in NY or most of the east cost for that matter.
This article pretty much sums up my argument.


Houston, New York Has a Problem - The New York Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,412 posts, read 2,133,481 times
Reputation: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Well dont you think there are so many complainers and disrespectful is due to a various reasons that have to do with the city and not themselves. Im sure there are people who speak negatively about other cities but Houston seems to have the most vocal and opinionated of them all. Perhaps there are some serious reasons for that?

And yes there are a plethora of millionaires who live here. But perhaps the reason why they do so is because the local economy affords them the job or business that made them so wealthy and not because they made their money elsewhere and moved here??

Another argument to counter your point, perhaps alot of the millionaire's realize that they can live like kings here in Houston with unnecessarily large homes in great neighborhoods that is also within city limits (Post Oak, Bellaire, Rice etc.) And if they were to move to New York or Los Angeles then they wouldn't seem so profound, but rather seem a bit lost and a little more average.
Of them all?? So Houston gets it more then all other cities,towns in America??Personally, im annoyed by exaggerated slander thrown towards Houston just because it's the 4th largest city. Everbody has a right to complain, thats understandable. But people always throw in San Francisco,NYC,Chi-town, Boston,LA,D.C. But how many other cities in America are on there level? Houston holds his own and frankly has more to offer for some ppl then the golden boy cities. Houston offers alot more then many other major cities in America. Who is that idiotic to come to a Houston or Dallas or Atlanta expecting a SF or NYC?? I don't go to any city with expectations. Not even ones that are always in the media cuz 9 out of 10 times it's never the same. And guess what alot of ppl don't care to live in those golden boy cities that are always praised. Some ppl hate dense walkable cities and love space.

And how do you speak for a millionaire? You're not even one so where did you come up with that theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
 
561 posts, read 819,499 times
Reputation: 468
I believe that Houston's middle class is probably the largest in the entire country, there is alot that people can do with what, in other parts of the country, is considered a somewhat mediocre salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Of them all?? So Houston gets it more then all other cities,towns in America??Personally, im annoyed by exaggerated slander thrown towards Houston just because it's the 4th largest city. Everbody has a right to complain, thats understandable. But people always throw in San Francisco,NYC,Chi-town, Boston,LA,D.C. But how many other cities in America are on there level? Houston holds his own and frankly has more to offer for some ppl then the golden boy cities. Houston offers alot more then many other major cities in America. Who is that idiotic to come to a Houston or Dallas or Atlanta expecting a SF or NYC?? I don't go to any city with expectations. Not even ones that are always in the media cuz 9 out of 10 times it's never the same. And guess what alot of ppl don't care to live in those golden boy cities that are always praised. Some ppl hate dense walkable cities and love space.

And how do you speak for a millionaire? You're not even one so where did you come up with that theory?
I apologize. Perhaps not of them all but there are a lot people who let their woes be heard. And since there is a lack of a true identity and there seems to also be a inferiority complex within Houston it doesnt seem to have stopped others from piling on (not only on this forum but even with my work and school colleagues)

I dont ever compare Houston to Austin, or Dallas, or Atlanta, or SF, or Denver, or Portland, or Seattle.

But I do compare Houston to Chicago, NYC, and LA. Why? because believe it or not Houston is about to be the third largest city. And HOUSTON SHOULD be compared to them! And I dont know about you but I dont want Houston to seem like the ugly one that seems to be lagging behind them.

You cant dismiss anything by looking at those three cities and saying "How many other cities are on their(grammer) level" Because we have arrived at the upper echelon of American cities and we need to look,act, and think like we belong there.

And by the way.... this is the way that this future millionaire thinks in his personal life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,091,715 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I believe that Houston's middle class is probably the largest in the entire country, there is alot that people can do with what, in other parts of the country, is considered a somewhat mediocre salary.



I apologize. Perhaps not of them all but there are a lot people who let their woes be heard. And since there is a lack of a true identity and there seems to also be a inferiority complex within Houston it doesnt seem to have stopped others from piling on (not only on this forum but even with my work and school colleagues)

I dont ever compare Houston to Austin, or Dallas, or Atlanta, or SF, or Denver, or Portland, or Seattle.

But I do compare Houston to Chicago, NYC, and LA. Why? because believe it or not Houston is about to be the third largest city. And HOUSTON SHOULD be compared to them! And I dont know about you but I dont want Houston to seem like the ugly one that seems to be lagging behind them.

You cant dismiss anything by looking at those three cities and saying "How many other cities are on their(grammer) level" Because we have arrived at the upper echelon of American cities and we need to look,act, and think like we belong there.

And by the way.... this is the way that this future millionaire thinks in his personal life
Ironically, this may be the most telling post of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
 
322 posts, read 608,902 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
Many people feel like they've "had enough" of a new location. Sounds like you've given Houston a good chance to grow on you, and it hasn't. Life is too short to live somewhere you hate. Time to come up with a plan that would make living somewhere else financially feasible.
This is the best response in the thread. OP listen, talk to your spouse and follow your heart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Fresno
110 posts, read 252,473 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
This is the best response in the thread. OP listen, talk to your spouse and follow your heart
Listen to your head! I moved from NYC to Houston in 95 when I was 17, stayed here for 11 years. Had two kids, then bounced to Cali because Houston was too flat, hot, humid, boring...you name it. Now, after 6 years in California, I find myself back here with a J.D., two additional kids, a bigger belly, a larger dog...and a mortgage worth of debt (minus the house). By all means, move to CA...but make sure you take plenty of cash with you, because you're definitely going to need it.

As for me...I'm going to settle in here (again) and spend some of my new-found surplus cash on my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Southeast TX
868 posts, read 1,357,083 times
Reputation: 886
Honestly to the OP..I would leave if I'm not happy. You should like and feel comfortable where you live.

There are times that I dont like being here but all I do is think about how easy it is to live here. I mean I can visit the places that I like but I know for a fact that I cant afford them. I'm from the Beaumont Area...I'm not going back there LOL so this is pretty much my new home. I have visited many places that look wayyyyy better and have better vibes than Houston's but what keeps me here easy Houston is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 AM
 
81 posts, read 274,497 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Honestly to the OP..I would leave if I'm not happy. You should like and feel comfortable where you live.

There are times that I dont like being here but all I do is think about how easy it is to live here. I mean I can visit the places that I like but I know for a fact that I cant afford them. I'm from the Beaumont Area...I'm not going back there LOL so this is pretty much my new home. I have visited many places that look wayyyyy better and have better vibes than Houston's but what keeps me here easy Houston is.
What exactly makes Houston an easy place to live? And which neighborhoods provide this feeling (i.e. proximity to daily errand places, lack of flooding, reasonable traffic, low crime) Where do most lower/middle income people live ~ we are a middle aged couple w/ no kids, not super active but want to be near the farmers markets and bookstores with a decent library nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 AM
 
Location: League City
3,267 posts, read 6,283,443 times
Reputation: 3752
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
What exactly makes Houston an easy place to live? And which neighborhoods provide this feeling (i.e. proximity to daily errand places, lack of flooding, reasonable traffic, low crime) Where do most lower/middle income people live ~ we are a middle aged couple w/ no kids, not super active but want to be near the farmers markets and bookstores with a decent library nearby.
You'll find those things scattered all over the metro. Lots and lots of places meet most or all of your criteria, but Houston is really, really spread out so you can't narrow it down to just a handful of places. I am in a suburb in SE Houston and there are 3 farmers markets nearby that I can think of. 4 libraries that I can think of in Clear Lake/League City area. Barnes and Nobles & 1/2 Price Books. Low traffic. Lower crime relative to the city. GF has 5 minute commute to work. We live in just 1 example of dozens scattered all over the metro area. Generally you want to live somewhat close to where you work to minimize commute times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top