Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 14,444 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!

Let me give a quick background of myself. I'm 25 years old, grew up in The Woodlands, went to College in Fort Worth and lived up there from 2005-2010 then moved back to Houston in mid 2010 and have been renting in the Westchase district (Gessner and Westhimer) ever since.

About a year ago my job moved me from the Galleria to the East side (I-10 and Wayside). I am in the market to buy a house and lately the "EaDo" area has peaked my interest. The prices for what you get home wise are low and they offer pretty much everything I want in terms of a home (small yard, garage, no shared walls, close to my office).

I'm not really concerned about my safety on the East side, and I could care less about schools seeing that I used to be a Police Officer and I don't have kids. What I am concerned about is value and peace and quiet. I'm currently looking at some new construction that sit directly behind the new metro rail, really close to the station that will be on York St. Like my backyard would back up to the rail. Does any one have any experiences with the Rail? Is it loud? Will the proximity to the station bring unwanted foot traffic that will drive values down?

My budget is in the $220k-$240k range. And if I'm spending that much on a house I don't want to be hearing the rail all night long.

What are everyone's thoughts on not only that area? but also living that close to the rail.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM

833 posts, read 1,884,895 times
Think you answered your own question about the backing up the rail. If you have concern so are future potential buyers.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 14,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Think you answered your own question about the backing up the rail. If you have concern so are future potential buyers.
Sure. But I guess my question really is, how loud is the rail????

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog34 View Post
Sure. But I guess my question really is, how loud is the rail????
The light rail won't be loud BUT Union Pacific is another story. The train horns are really loud. I've gotten used to it and it no longer bothers me now.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
As far as I know, cars and trucks are louder than a lightrail

Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
The rail moving is about as loud as a cluster of cars whooshing by @ 35 mph, but with no engine/exhaust drone. It does have a toy-train beeper type horn that is loud enough to warn cars not to crash into it. But it's not nearly as loud as a real train. I used to live across the street, 6 lanes from the original line in 2004 and couldn't really hear it. The constant tire whine on the freeways during morning rush hour was always louder, from 1 mile away.

As for buying directly on the line, if it's quiet enough for you I still wouldn't do that until the line is complete. Then snag up a deal after the businesses, property values, etc take that initial hit.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM

117 posts, read 229,655 times
Why complain about train horns? They are there for a purpose, to save lives. I've lived a few hundred feet from a rail line and I never had problems with UP.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM

88 posts, read 191,345 times
I live on the metro rail in downtown, you won't notice it at all. It is very very quiet maybe except when it beeps for people to get off the rail line, but that isn't even loud.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,162 times
Not loud. In fact, scarily quiet.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,509 times
When the light rail trains first began operation, they had to make them louder because they were virtually silent. They're a little louder but it most likely will not bother you unless you live next to a station where they beep telling passengers each stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: