U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,576,563 times

Advertisements

This is some very good information when you look at your education & career paths. I am #4 and 20 years later still a good choice.

The highest paid careers in America today - Bottom Line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,778,525 times
They need to leave kids alone with this bull.

Not EVERYONE can be a doctor. Not EVERYONE can be an engineer. They say time and time again be an engineer it pays, jobs right out of school. Well that's just grand when you don't have a physics mind. I can do biology like no one's business and tried the premed track for YEARS yet chemistry and physics was like trying to read Chinese.

Engineering pays but physics is a deep evil.

You don't want every women to be your nurse. Everyone is going back for nursing and really a lot of the big ******* I know are in nursing. For the money but i KNOW they'll have an awful bedside manner. And I pray if you encounter _____ and at St. Luke's and MD Anderson when you or your loved one is going through cancer that you be okay because these girls are NOT nurse material at all. They passed with flying colors and got jobs but they should not be nurses.

At my clinic, we had phlebotomist get fired because for some reason the woman thought she could treat patients any kind of way. You're sticking a needle in me lady. She thought it was okay to tell people to "Oh be quite and stop being a baby!" and jab after a tiny swipe of the alcohol swab. She's lucky I'm not ghetto because she jabs hard and I could have landed myself in jail clawing my nails and knocking the hell out of her. I complains, other did and she left.

Yes, keep telling people the money statistics and get the worse people in these industries who see $$$$$.

It's helpful then it's not. I hate it when they bash liberal arts majors and tout science. Like everyone should be a science major. Not everyone can do it and that's not a bad thing. Not everyone can be a teacher. You don't want me teaching your kids. Trust me. I have no patience. Teachers could make $150k a year one day and I still won't do it but lots who are like me will and when you're at the school complaining why Kaylen isn't being coddle remember the lists.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,695,962 times
My cousin is trying to be #5, went to Pennsylvaina U law school and cannot find a job. My brother is also an attorney and highly recommends you do not go to law school.

My wife isn't quite #4, she's a bit beneath that but let me tell ya. We didn't get that nice house in Meyerland due to my salary in education!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Those statistics are right on the money for me(#4) and my wife(#1).
And yes you can be anything you can be as far as my concern goes. Get the education, start and improve your career, continue learning through your career, demonstrate you can do whatever you were trained in, end of the story.
Most of the kids should know in school what they want to do and they should be smart about the path they take maximizing their potential careers and income.
And "liberal arts major"? I won't make any coments about that.....

Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,551,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
My cousin is trying to be #5, went to Pennsylvaina U law school and cannot find a job. My brother is also an attorney and highly recommends you do not go to law school.
Yeah, that was my first reaction... some of these are great IF you can find a job. You have all these half-ass law schools out there pumping out degrees while a Penn law grad can't land a job... you know there's an issue there.

These journalists need to look at a real study... like formulate a way to compare lifetime salary compensation with job demand and cost of schooling.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,778,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Those statistics are right on the money for me(#4) and my wife(#1).
And yes you can be anything you can be as far as my concern goes. Get the education, start and improve your career, continue learning through your career, demonstrate you can do whatever you were trained in, end of the story.
Most of the kids should know in school what they want to do and they should be smart about the path they take maximizing their potential careers and income.
And "liberal arts major"? I won't make any coments about that.....
Liberal arts majors teach your kids don't they Ethan?

They're not CEOs who decided to teach in elementary school, petroleum engineers, etc are they?

They're some real dummies aren't they. Poor kids. Being taught by the lowest of the low according to your huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yeah, that was my first reaction... some of these are great IF you can find a job. You have all these half-ass law schools out there pumping out degrees while a Penn law grad can't land a job... you know there's an issue there.

These journalists need to look at a real study... like formulate a way to compare lifetime salary compensation with job demand and cost of schooling.
The problem with law school is everyone wants to do big law. These big firms that promote $150k with signing bonuses can't hiring everyone. So yeah, lots of Penn grads Harvard, Yale, etc can't find a job. The ones who go to schools like that act like they're too good to work for a small firm or the like. But really who can blame them. Going to a nearly $50k a year school is ridiculous so you don't want to work at the McDonald's of firms right out of school. But sometimes you have to swallow your pride and work your way up. Those loans won't get paid for a good while but A. they should have been at the very very top of their classes, B. went somewhere cheaper, C. had some deep connections and D-Z a whole lot of other stuff.

It's part the school and a BIG part the fault of the students. But it's better to blame the institution.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 PM

10,462 posts, read 10,216,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
They need to leave kids alone with this bull.

Not EVERYONE can be a doctor. Not EVERYONE can be an engineer.
Nobody is saying that everybody should be anything
but the reality is that everybody works to make money, and is good to know their options.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,813,920 times
You can name your ticket with a Petroleum Engineering Degree here in Houston. There is a total decline in students and universities like A&M can't fill classes. The average age of petroleum engineers has topped 50 in recent years.

Ronnie

Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Why are you so violently put words in my mouth? Did I make any coments about "Liberal arts majors". I could, but I didn't. So just don't jump to assumptions mate.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Liberal arts majors teach your kids don't they Ethan?

They're not CEOs who decided to teach in elementary school, petroleum engineers, etc are they?

They're some real dummies aren't they. Poor kids. Being taught by the lowest of the low according to your huh?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM

10,462 posts, read 10,216,971 times
I always remember when I took a flight and sat down next to a girl
she told me that she was a pharmacist and I asked her about that career
I was thinking that pharmacists made $30k-$50k, when she told me that they start around $100k my eyes almost popped out.

Hopefully I will be in #6 in a few years after getting my M.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston