Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Ya we are so lucky to get to pay higher prices for our electricity for the privilege of being billed by a different entity than who controls all the generation and transmission capacity.
Yea I agree, his comment also left me scratching my head lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Ya we are so lucky to get to pay higher prices for our electricity for the privilege of being billed by a different entity than who controls all the generation and transmission capacity.
Actually I really hate this deregulation since it only fosters fly-by-night companies. There is another thread about a company that lost its license, not answering the phones, and almost everyone is being switched to a provider of last resort. Some lucky people got word about a deadline to switch but were concerned about an early termination fee even in this extraordinary event (unless you were within 2 weeks of the contract expiring).

My mom had a bill credit with National Power Company a few years ago just at the time they went under. Nobody answered the phones and she got switched to high-rate Reliant as a Provider of Last Resort. We looked at the Public Utilities website (exactly like the Health Insurance Exchange under Obamacare™ that Perry refuses to set up) and found Brilliant. Hopefully we don't get to experience the same thing again!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
I've never had one problem with Centerpoint and with gas prices (spot) so low, my gas bill barely hits my radar screen.

Ronnie

Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I've never had one problem with Centerpoint and with gas prices (spot) so low, my gas bill barely hits my radar screen.

Ronnie
This. Times 1000.

Plus my generator is hooked up to NG, so when the next Ike hits, Ima be keeping cool thanks to Centerpoint.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
I wish there were more choices for ACTUAL providers but like others my bill is so low I don't care about it at this time. I do have a gas stove, oven and furnace but it's usually less than 30 bucks a month.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I wish there were more choices for ACTUAL providers but like others my bill is so low I don't care about it at this time. I do have a gas stove, oven and furnace but it's usually less than 30 bucks a month.
Competition is always good. The challenge we would face is the infrastructure. Do you let a 2nd company dig & lay gas pipelines? If not, then it's not really competition, it's what we have with elec--one company owns the wires, and the only competition is who do you pretend to buy juice from.

And as has been proven here in Texas, this leads to higher prices, not lower.

It seems in some areas, and utilities appears to be one, guv regulated monopoly may not be so bad.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
You could by little bottles of propane from the hardware store. :-(

Old 08-24-2018, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 391 times
I truly hate counterpoint. I have a 6 month old baby and my gas was cut off one day before it was schedule to be shut off, now I'm going a weekend with no gas or hot water. This company has no humanity at all.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:54 AM

15,431 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericct0914 View Post
I truly hate counterpoint. I have a 6 month old baby and my gas was cut off one day before it was schedule to be shut off, now I'm going a weekend with no gas or hot water. This company has no humanity at all.
If you don't pay your bill, your gas gets shut off. The notices I've seen all say that shut off occurs on or before the date given, and will be without notice. It's not a matter of humanity, it's a matter of you not paying your bill for a couple of months - gas doesn't get cut off because you were a week late. As a parent, you have a responsibility to do whatever it takes to ensure your baby has its needs covered. Utilities need to be paid before you spend on other stuff.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:02 AM

223 posts, read 261,997 times
Quote:
This. Add to the mix the gaming of price plans to present favorably on power to choose (hmm, rate per kWh is so much lower for 500, 1000, and 2000 kWh than 501, 1001, and 2001....wonder why?) it's clear that the TX dereg plan was a giveaway to the industry rather than a consumer friendly measure.

Our cheap rates are due to being blessed with all the natty we can handle in the PB rather than our half-assed dereg scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: