Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,127,907 times

Advertisements

philo dough wouldn't know his grammar from his third cousin, let alone have a salient response to a real question. You do realize you spelled you name improperly, right? It's "filo" or "fillo" or "phyllo" not "philo" dough.

Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM

61,029 posts, read 85,838,736 times
lol, guys!!
Now please, back to OP request - please provide some info.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Currently, Katy doesn't offer much in regards to retail, dining and entertainment, when compared to Houston and the inner city area. Most of the restaurants are chains and pretty mediocre. Most of retail here is cookie cutter. But, because of Katy's fast growth, there are a lot of new plans going up that should fill this void in the next year or two.

With that said, I feel that Katy has some of the best neighborhoods in the Houston and surrounding areas. Of course, this is bias since I live here, but I feel that it will be pretty hard to beat what Katy has to offer for suburban living. The master planned communities offer families some of the best amenities available that I have seen. Amazing parks, water parks, hiking trails, and 'city center' themed shopping are what I feel attract most people in my area (Katy). I hate to sound like a marketing billboard, but the landscaping when driving through the Katy suburbs is OUTSTANDING. It's not uncommon to see people out-and-about running or walking with their families, enjoying the scenery, despite the prairie-like terrain that is native to Katy. If you have the chance to drive through Cinco Ranch Blvd, you'll understand what I mean.

Also, for us, it's the quicker access to anything west of us, e.g., Fulshear, Gruene, Austin, and all of those other great Hill Country towns. I lived in the city for quite some time prior to moving to Katy. Both have their negatives and positives, but for us, Katy has a simple and somewhat quiet living environment. We don't feel like we are in the hustle and bustle of the city. For us, this was most important, as we both have stressful jobs, and driving home every day to a peaceful and serene atmosphere really took a load off for us. Our quality of life has really improved since we moved here a year ago.

I love what Houston and the inner loop have to offer, but going into my late 30's, it's no longer compatible with my lifestyle as a place of permanent residence. It's great for a night out on the town though

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,127,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Currently, Katy doesn't offer much in regards to retail, dining and entertainment, when compared to Houston and the inner city area. Most of the restaurants are chains and pretty mediocre. Most of retail here is cookie cutter. But, because of Katy's fast growth, there are a lot of new plans going up that should fill this void in the next year or two.

With that said, I feel that Katy has some of the best neighborhoods in the Houston and surrounding areas. Of course, this is bias since I live here, but I feel that it will be pretty hard to beat what Katy has to offer for suburban living. The master planned communities offer families some of the best amenities available that I have seen. Amazing parks, water parks, hiking trails, and 'city center' themed shopping are what I feel attract most people in my area (Katy). I hate to sound like a marketing billboard, but the landscaping when driving through the Katy suburbs is OUTSTANDING. It's not uncommon to see people out-and-about running or walking with their families, enjoying the scenery, despite the prairie-like terrain that is native to Katy. If you have the chance to drive through Cinco Ranch Blvd, you'll understand what I mean.

Also, for us, it's the quicker access to anything west of us, e.g., Fulshear, Gruene, Austin, and all of those other great Hill Country towns. I lived in the city for quite some time prior to moving to Katy. Both have their negatives and positives, but for us, Katy has a simple and somewhat quiet living environment. We don't feel like we are in the hustle and bustle of the city. For us, this was most important, as we both have stressful jobs, and driving home every day to a peaceful and serene atmosphere really took a load off for us. Our quality of life has really improved since we moved here a year ago.

I love what Houston and the inner loop have to offer, but going into my late 30's, it's no longer compatible with my lifestyle as a place of permanent residence. It's great for a night out on the town though

Now THAT'S a useful response. What I know about Katy can be summed up by saying I goose hunt out there and have eaten at the Kountry Kitchen and Landry's.

Ronnie

Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 PM

766 posts, read 1,244,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post

Please, Katy ain't changing its ways anytime soon. The shopping is always going to comprise of generic chains, same with
the restaurants, meaning its going to suck. Houston is one giant suburb so you can definitely get the quiet tranquil nature in the inner loop and especially inside the beltway.
[ Mod cut: rude ]

Last edited by elnina; 07-27-2012 at 02:55 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Please, Katy ain't changing its ways anytime soon. The shopping is always going to comprise of generic chains, same with the restaurants, meaning its going to suck. Houston is one giant suburb so you can definitely get the quiet tranquil nature in the inner loop and especially inside the beltway.
[Mod cut: rude ]
Houston as a giant suburb is laughable. I mean, I actually laughed at that. If you're referring to the abundance of pocket communities, butted up to dilapidated apartment buildings, tied in between massive retail outlets, vast stretches of highways, and the never ending strips of business plazas gluing these tenacious structures together, then your definition of Houston being a giant suburb is extremely laughable.

[mod cut: referring to edited part of post]

[Mod cut: off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 07-27-2012 at 02:59 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,376,486 times
KT seems to be the next Fort Worth. North + South + Katy-town = (has) 250,000 people and growing!

If that Houston Press article is true and the Barker Dam collapses and washes out the affluent Memorial/Tanglewood/River Oaks areas, everything will be re-centered on the opposite side of the reservoirs here in Katy.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 AM

205 posts, read 245,688 times
Katy?
Must be ready to evacuate at all times. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston