Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times

Advertisements

I LOVE it

Obama Administration Announces 20 Million Acre Oil and Gas Lease Sale Offshore Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Atleast he's thinking outside the liberal box to fund Obamacare.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:14 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
the ACA was already funded

He's always been supportive of the O&G industry. Wish he'd try to throw some more bones to renewable energy. The gulf is a growing dead zone. I don't rely on it for seafood anymore anyway. Within 20 years the only purpose it will serve will be a parking lot for oil rigs

Old 07-27-2012, 05:18 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
the ACA was already funded

He's always been supportive of the O&G industry. Wish he'd try to throw some more bones to renewable energy
Lmao! Really, then why did he stop completion of the keystone pipeline?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Not to mention how many dozen solar companies given billions of subsidized dollars still failing. Throw a bone to renewables he has in spades. He has nearly deigned allow O&G companies the right to overpay for government leases offshore, which considering the sorry state of affairs our budget is in, is just common sense.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Well, the oil and gas that would have been pumped through the Keystone would not have been sold in the US so it would not have helped solve our energy problems in the least. It would have run through some very environmentally sensitive areas as well.

Construction jobs are temporary and not all jobs created by the pipeline construction would be new jobs, with many going to existing Keystone employees and contractors.

Keystone XL is a tar sands pipeline to export oil out of the United States | Anthony Swift's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC

Quote:
Canada doesn’t have nearly enough oil to fill existing pipelines going to the United States. However, existing Canadian oil pipelines all go to the Midwest, where the only buyer for their crude is the United States. Keystone XL would divert Canadian oil from refineries in the Midwest to the Gulf Coast where it can be refined and exported. Many of these refineries are in Foriegn Trade Zones where oil may be exported to international buyers without paying U.S. taxes.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Come on people, it's an election year! He's just buying as many votes as possible: the student votes with loan forgivence, the latino votes with immigration laws, the glbt votes, the swingers/undecided with tax extensions and now this. Not saying that I am against all of these policies, nor that I like the republican nominee any more than him, but the rushing of these policies just before an election is just slimey and insulting.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Come on. Give Obama some credit. BTW, interesting article

Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Come on people, it's an election year! He's just buying as many votes as possible: the student votes with loan forgivence, the latino votes with immigration laws, the glbt votes, the swingers/undecided with tax extensions and now this. Not saying that I am against all of these policies, nor that I like the republican nominee any more than him, but the rushing of these policies just before an election is just slimey and insulting.
No kidding. He tried pumping the economy with his 'under the rug' increased job funding to private companies at the beginning of this year. I know this because I work for one of the Southern private companies that qualified for this 'grant'. Basically, he was funding any private company a minimum of million dollars if they proved that they were able to hire new staff with the funds...of course, we had to show proof that we had solid projections of profitability from the new staff hires, as well as proposed projects that would benefit the economy and validate the need for new staff and funding of these projects. This was all engineered by his staff to rally up election worthiness this November hoping to show a rapid increase of job hires and a steady decrease of unemployment...unfortunately, last month, this out of the blue job booster plummeted due to failed grants and projections, furthering the increased unemployment rate back to original numbers. With that said, There should be quite a few more tricks under his sleeve before elections. It won't stop.

Now, here's the scary thing...I hope I don't get an anonymous email about this information, considering it wasn't exactly shared openly to the public in such a manner...I've had quite a few bloody mary's, just finished watching the gorgeous Olympic Ceremony and am feeling pretty good right now

Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
What's the point of making that pipeline go all the way to Houston?
To refine it and then export it?
Because there's a lot of refineries between Canada and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston