U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,980,177 times

Advertisements

What are the densest and most walkable areas of Houston? You know, areas and neighborhoods with pedestrian activity and some necessities and fun things to do in walking distance? I actually visit Houston a few times a year and have fun, but I'd like to know of other places to visit than the usual. Pictures and links are fine too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,314,822 times
Houston Heights neighborhood, mostly in the inner areas. Quite walkable and a good amount to do

Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM

8,566 posts, read 9,645,235 times
Rice University, Med Center, Hermann Park and Houston Zoo. Another couple of blocks to The Museum of Fine Arts.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 PM

841 posts, read 1,863,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
What are the densest and most walkable areas of Houston? You know, areas and neighborhoods with pedestrian activity and some necessities and fun things to do in walking distance? I actually visit Houston a few times a year and have fun, but I'd like to know of other places to visit than the usual. Pictures and links are fine too.

Thanks!
The disadvantage of Houston sprawl is that while there are many nice clusters of entertainment areas here, there is not much connectivity other than by car (though I have found good public transportation connectivity between Rice Village, Montrose, Midtown, the Texas Medical Center, and downtown). In sum, it's still a good setup for us residents but not necessarily for those visitors/tourists who come only with pocket guide of some sort.

But for the very curious and adventurous, we do have many worthwhile spots:

If you simply like "pedestrian" regardless of how prefabricated or gentrified, you'd like

-City Centre (corner of I-10 and Sam Houston Beltway 8 vicinity). It's got a nice public square where people walk around or sit and people-watch. The layout is fun for touristy types. YardHouse actually has some good food for a limited chain. Flora&Muse has some pretty good desserts. Go up to the second floor in the Monnalisa bar...that's a pretty upscale looking bar with an egalitarian vibe.

-Sugar Land Town Square - much like City Centre but more of a traditional "main street" layout. Even more grand public square. I like the way they connected the pedestrian pathway between the Town Square and First Colony's outdoor mall area.

Sugar Land Town Square - nightlife - 2012 - YouTube

-Rice Village - often dismissed as a glorified "strip center" but it is the unique, perpendicular intimate grid arrangement and wide availability of mom-n-pop stuff that make it more so than that. People do walk all over the Rice Village...lots of great stores for everyone...and at night, especially Weds-Saturday nights...Morningside St. is quite a buzzing little bar crawl, with the AWESOME Oh My Go-Gi food truck to boot! You can take your spicy rib cheese fries into the Gingerman Pub (but not your beverages).

HOUSTON - Rice Village 2011 - YouTube

Downtown Houston - Discovery Green Park is a good anchor to doing downtown Houston. Nice walk-arounds and ponds...then head to the nearby Park Shops, then take The Tunnel System to explore. A TON of people watching (albeit in a non-holiday context) with a PLETHORA of places to eat or get dessert. Just an awesome resource to wander around. Later, head to the Sundance Cinema (one of only three in the USA so far...thank Mr. Robert Redford for that one.) It's a sophisticated cinema where seating is reserved and you can take the food. I've been there before and it's great.

If the weather is nice, eating at Bombay Pizza then having a Strawberry Mocha at Minuti Coffee is one of my favorite routines; they're along the Main St. axis. The Main Street outdoor promenade is a very interesting pedestrian resource. Nearby on Travis St., the re-vamped Market Square is kinda nice...you can have some so-so Greek at Nikko's food stand there or go across the street to the much better Treebeard's.

There's the beautiful bayou walks, day or night:

This isn't a packaged touristy downtown like the Gas Lamp or Sundance Square...but if you know how to do it, it's actually a very interesting downtown (I got tired of the Gas Lamp as a San Diego resident, but I never get bored of downtown Houston for some reason).

Contrary to what naysayers say, Houston DOES party downtown. It ain't Times Square or...Gas Lamp in pedestrian density...but who really cares, eh? There's decent, if diverse, life on those sidewalks after dark.

Downtown HOUSTON - July 2, 2011 - YouTube

If you like something funky:

-the Montrose - between Dunlavy and Montrose along Westheimer - definitely lots of great edgy boutiques...and great places to cool down like Brasil, Empire Cafe, Bacchus and Agora Ka. It's a very walkable section. Stores up to the sidewalk and such. There's a lot of stuff there. Half-Price Books carries a TON of stuff. Thank goodness for that bookstore.

-White Oak St.(in the Heights) - This area is still developing as far as shops but the places to eat are there. Tacos-A-GoGo has very good tacos (but avoid the quesadillas). Christian's Tailgate has some of the best burgers. The REAL attraction of White Oak is the concrete walking trail right near Onion Creek Bar (good Italian sodas). That is a pleasure, one of the less-publicized, beautiful things about Houston. It takes you to a GREAT view of downtown, you see joggers, parents strolling their babies...there are a good number of pedestrians there, day or night.

-19th Street (in the Heights) -

-Old Town Spring (Spring, TX about 20 miles north of downtown Houston)
This area is quite a true Mayberry experience. It has really good "country" food and desserts. Very, very pleasant to walk around as a contrast to Houston's more edgy commercial pockets. We like going up there every two months or so.

Old Town Spring - 2012 - YouTube

Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,415,015 times
Nice pics Worldlyman. How long is that white Oak St path? That looks pretty nice. Can you get there from inside the loop or do you have to go to the Heights?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,314,822 times
That is a bike trail in the Heights, not a walking trail. It connects with a few other bike trails and lanes in the city.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM

477 posts, read 559,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
That is a bike trail in the Heights, not a walking trail. It connects with a few other bike trails and lanes in the city.
Officially a "shared-use trail".

http://documents.publicworks.houston...ap_network.pdf

Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,980,177 times
Wow worldlyman, nice pics and extensive post. Those areas look nice!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,189,138 times
Nice project.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 PM

841 posts, read 1,863,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Nice pics Worldlyman. How long is that white Oak St path? That looks pretty nice. Can you get there from inside the loop or do you have to go to the Heights?
Thanks. Easy to get to. You can take I-10 to Montrose/Studemont exit. Take Studemont (becomes Studewood eventually) going north...go left on White Oak. Drive til you get to the Onion Creek or Skate Shop and park near the trail. You're there!

Hard to say as far as length. I wish it were longer but the vibe is very calming yet sort of textured. There is a shopping center near downtown's edges as the trail ends that way. But give it a stroll...

They've added more shops and restaurants since I took those pictures. I really enjoy what's going on up there around White Oak and a little further up at 11th and Studewood. Very funky but intimate. Kind of like those post-World War II 'hoods that they made all sorts of retro-funky, if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston