Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
I have concerns when they take their authority and sell it to the highest bidder. So, if some business owner wants his patrons to float in/out of their parking lot that sits on a busy road - - the cop apparently has the right to arbitrarily stop you. Securing a gap, okay - - impeding the traffic flow to give preference to the business owner is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
These guys put their lives on the line every day, I have no beef with them working for some extra pay.
I'm split between this two opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 04:16 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
I think it would much better if they were paid so that they didn't need the extra money in the first place. They have a dangerous job and that ought to merit something in the neighborhood of 90-100k per year. I think they often make less than half that. What cop do you want helping you out--one who has to work two jobs to put their kid through a state/local college and pay a mortgage on a townhouse or one who can afford to rest in the evenings and have a yard to mow? In the meantime, I don't object to cops earning the money they need to support themselves and their families.

The flipside of paying cops more is that they might also have incentive to learn more prior to joining the job. It is indeed a difficult and demanding job--I think that cops trained not only in an overview of criminology but also in sociology and/or psychology would be better suited to the needs of their profession. As it is, they often do hold pretty major misconceptions about the people they encounter and these misconceptions can lead them into a lot of the police brutality situations we see lately. More pay, more education=better trained, better prepared police force, imho.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:17 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
When I go to a place they are working security, I'm much more comfortable in those dark parking lots at night with them there. The venues are going to hire someone and I'd much rather a real officer than a teenage rent a cop.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
When I go to a place they are working security, I'm much more comfortable in those dark parking lots at night with them there. The venues are going to hire someone and I'd much rather a real officer than a teenage rent a cop.
Agree. Supplementing security feels like more of a win-win, if the extra income is needed.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I think it would much better if they were paid so that they didn't need the extra money in the first place. They have a dangerous job and that ought to merit something in the neighborhood of 90-100k per year. I think they often make less than half that. What cop do you want helping you out--one who has to work two jobs to put their kid through a state/local college and pay a mortgage on a townhouse or one who can afford to rest in the evenings and have a yard to mow? In the meantime, I don't object to cops earning the money they need to support themselves and their families.

The flipside of paying cops more is that they might also have incentive to learn more prior to joining the job. It is indeed a difficult and demanding job--I think that cops trained not only in an overview of criminology but also in sociology and/or psychology would be better suited to the needs of their profession. As it is, they often do hold pretty major misconceptions about the people they encounter and these misconceptions can lead them into a lot of the police brutality situations we see lately. More pay, more education=better trained, better prepared police force, imho.
90-100K not a chance. Maybe if they were required to get master's degrees. I wouldn't pay them more than 60K and that's only if they have a bachelor's degree.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
try getting onto the galveston ferry with expired stickers. instant ticket. lol

Old 05-11-2015, 05:21 AM

31 posts, read 32,693 times
Quote:
I have concerns when they take their authority and sell it to the highest bidder. So, if some business owner wants his patrons to float in/out of their parking lot that sits on a busy road - - the cop apparently has the right to arbitrarily stop you. Securing a gap, okay - - impeding the traffic flow to give preference to the business owner is not.
The city grants those permits, and it's not gonna change any time soon. I understand it's frustrating when the street gets blocked off, but if it wasn't like that, it would be nearly impossible for workers to get out of all the parking garages in Houston. Blame it on the incredibly unfriendly Houston drivers, if there wasn't an officer there, workers would dang near have to sleep at the office because they'd be stuck in the parking garage all night.

Sometimes they're doing you a favor as well. I've worked one spot near Greenway Plaza for about 3 years, and I work it with another officer who controls the lights at the intersection. He adjusts the cycle as needed, and gives longer light cycles if traffic starts to back up on one side of the street.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Yes... you need to be at the top of your game to spot an expired safety inspection sticker. Can't just let those hooligans run loose!
What an asinine statement. Yeah, police only work inspection duty. They never get called to home break-ins in progress, or bank robberies, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Cops will never give up those extra jobs. It's relatively easy work for big pay. My favorite is the cops who stand around in some churches, drinking coffee and socializing...laughing all the way to the bank.
Yeah, they laugh and joke until some jerk starts to cause trouble. Maybe a drink too many, or his girl got insulted. Then the fights start and all mayhem ensues. Or the cop on his side job breaks it up and no one knows any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The cops directing traffic at the rodeo this year did an awful job. I hope they didn't get paid much for that sloppy job.
I'm not sure God himself (herself?) could do much better at the rodeo. That's an absolute clusterpluck.

Quote:
This always bugs me. I know some are better than others about being "fair". But sometimes I see major streets being impeded more significantly than the parking garage itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston