Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM

12 posts, read 19,149 times

Advertisements

We are looking into buying a home in the Cinco Ranch/Green Trails/Nottingham area and it seems hard to find an estimate of home insurance without contacting the companies directly for quotes. Could someone please give me an estimate for full HI on a home with the following description:

Between 350 and 400 K
Between 3000 and 3500 sq/f
Built 1990 to 2005 range
With pool
With fireplace
With Alarm system

From what I can gather it should be around 2000-2500/year - does this seem accurate?

Do you need seperate insurance for having a pool should there be an accident where a child/adult/pet drowns? Even if your pool/yard is fenced?

Also from what I have seen on HAR under the property tax option when viewing a particular home, would taxes (all in) for a house like this run around 8-11 k per year or are these estimates outdated?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 AM

340 posts, read 802,905 times
I just quoted my new construction house and it is 4100sqft, 300k price and the quoted $2510 a year. Additionally, property taxes are by area but you are pretty spot on what I am estimating for my house.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,446 times
HI is about what we pay.

I think taxes are going to be slightly higher, budget closer to 3.6% of the home value.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 19,149 times
Thanks for the details on the insurance trele6 and azinwood. If any others have estimates for similar price homes please contribute. Also there is the pool question RE insurance for accidents.

As for the Tax info I am a bit confused... If you look at these two properties, one is a 410 k home on Kelliwood Oaks Drive and the tax according to HAR is 2.6 %. The other is a home in Cinco north lake and it is 2.48% for a 375k home.

First is here:1635 Kelliwood Oaks Drive, Katy, TX 77450 - HAR.com
Second is here:2223 Royal Adelaide Dr, Katy, TX 77450 - HAR.com

I have seen a few people quote 3.6% tax which is quite a bit more, so what is up with these HAR estimates - are they legit or is the 3.6 pertaining to some newer part of CR? Should I be allowing for another 3-4K in property tax (before homestead exemption) each year or roughly adding 1% to anything I see on HAR?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck123 View Post
Thanks for the details on the insurance trele6 and azinwood. If any others have estimates for similar price homes please contribute. Also there is the pool question RE insurance for accidents.

As for the Tax info I am a bit confused... If you look at these two properties, one is a 410 k home on Kelliwood Oaks Drive and the tax according to HAR is 2.6 %. The other is a home in Cinco north lake and it is 2.48% for a 375k home.

First is here:1635 Kelliwood Oaks Drive, Katy, TX 77450 - HAR.com
Second is here:2223 Royal Adelaide Dr, Katy, TX 77450 - HAR.com

I have seen a few people quote 3.6% tax which is quite a bit more, so what is up with these HAR estimates - are they legit or is the 3.6 pertaining to some newer part of CR? Should I be allowing for another 3-4K in property tax (before homestead exemption) each year or roughly adding 1% to anything I see on HAR?

Thanks!
I am in a newer area and it is 3.6%.. I have found that HAR often times does have incorrect information. If you really want to check and if the home is in Harris county look up the address on www.hcad.org and it will show the rates used for taxes. If in Fort Bend it isnt as easy but you might find something helpful on www.fbcad.org also.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
The taxes quoted on HAR are without the homestead exemption. Different school districts and water district have different exemptions.

The insurance on my 4600 foot house with pool and lots of millwork is $2500 plus flood insurance. We have 1% deductible that includes for storms. A friend who has an insurance agency explained in detail how home insurance works. I buy from a neighbor because his is cheaper. It's not just replacement, it is cleaning up the mess and housing while that is done.

My daughter went to the movie. When she was walking home she commented to my grandson about a fire in their building. Turns out, it was their apartment. The GE dishwasher spontaneously combusted. It was not even on. It was the second same dishwasher to catch on fire that day in NYC. It took 6 months for them to get back into their house. My family home burned, one washed away, another filled up with mud coming down the mountain. Stuff happens. I'll pay a little extra to avoid having to sue like the Senator from Mississippi had to do.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,446 times
Agreed with Trele6. I am also in the new section of CR. If you are in the older section or not in CR your tax rates would be lower. FBCad or hcad are great sites when looking at historic tax rates.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The taxes quoted on HAR are without the homestead exemption. Different school districts and water district have different exemptions.

The insurance on my 4600 foot house with pool and lots of millwork is $2500 plus flood insurance. We have 1% deductible that includes for storms. A friend who has an insurance agency explained in detail how home insurance works. I buy from a neighbor because his is cheaper. It's not just replacement, it is cleaning up the mess and housing while that is done.

My daughter went to the movie. When she was walking home she commented to my grandson about a fire in their building. Turns out, it was their apartment. The GE dishwasher spontaneously combusted. It was not even on. It was the second same dishwasher to catch on fire that day in NYC. It took 6 months for them to get back into their house. My family home burned, one washed away, another filled up with mud coming down the mountain. Stuff happens. I'll pay a little extra to avoid having to sue like the Senator from Mississippi had to do.

No offense, but I wouldnt want to a neighbor of yours.. seems like you have some bad luck.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck123 View Post
Do you need seperate insurance for having a pool should there be an accident where a child/adult/pet drowns? Even if your pool/yard is fenced?
Get an umbrella liability policy.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM

286 posts, read 739,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Get an umbrella liability policy.
This. And keep in mind that your HO policy might be higher because of the pool.

Including Home Insurance Costs When Considering A Backyard Pool - HomeInsurance.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: