Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 14,464 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to relocate in about three weeks and Houston is definitely where I want to live. Just wondering, for those that live there, how do you feel the job market is for someone seeking an Accountant position?

Also, there are numerous openings online, anyone have any suggestions as far as places I might want to check out for Accountant positions to somewhat narrow it down?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:21 PM

340 posts, read 802,905 times
Oil companies are the big driver of accounting positions. Hopefully you have your CPA because while there are openings right now, they want the cream of the crop only it seems. There are some recruiting firms that can help you also, like Lucas Group, Robert Half, Macky & Tanner etc.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
CPA, good school, good GPA and you will have a shot at O&G. Start working with some reputable recruiting agencies. They have a $$$ interest to place you with a fat cat.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 PM

41 posts, read 117,606 times
CPA is a big plus. It will open many doors for you. Oil & gas sometimes is hard to break into specially if you don't have O&G experience. but there are many industries there

You can post your resume on monster, careerbuilder and others, recruiters will contact you. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I was in O&G for 45 years before retiring last year.

Contrary to what other posters have said, having a CPA was not, in my experience, an asset to getting an accounting job with an O&G company.

Having a CPA is an asset if you want a specialized job -- but it's often viewed as a negative otherwise because the thought is that a CPA wont be content in a regular accounting job.

A better approach is to be willing to take less $$$ than you think you deserve just for having an accounting degree and get some experience under your belt first.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM

340 posts, read 802,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I was in O&G for 45 years before retiring last year.

Contrary to what other posters have said, having a CPA was not, in my experience, an asset to getting an accounting job with an O&G company.

Having a CPA is an asset if you want a specialized job -- but it's often viewed as a negative otherwise because the thought is that a CPA wont be content in a regular accounting job.

A better approach is to be willing to take less $$$ than you think you deserve just for having an accounting degree and get some experience under your belt first.
I currently work for an oil and gas company in accounting and have for 8 years. There has been a dramatic shift in the last 4 years or so towards only hiring or promoting people with CPA's for some reason ( I dont have one either). Just looking through our internal openings and external they all want or "prefer" a CPA. One of my previous companies changed their policy while i worked there that you could only become a supervisor or manager if you had a CPA or MBA unless you were already one(grandfathered in).

Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 PM

28 posts, read 60,000 times
Having a CPA license is a big plus obviously. Not sure why someone would say that not having a CPA license is just as fine as having one... obviously you want to set yourself apart as much as you can. Perhaps with 45 years experience you'll be fine, but most of us aren't there, and I personally believe I have risen through the ranks quickly because of my credentials (CPA, MBA, etc) and work ethic of course. Agree with getting a recruiter (Robert Half, etc) because they will help you narrow it down further and will want to set you up quickly with the highest pay possible for their own $$$. PM me if you need a couple recruiters name specifically that I have used in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: