U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Rocky Mountain Xplorer
852 posts, read 524,963 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
In any case, my criticism for Jim remains that he is confusing that Houston's benefit from United with owing United anything by receiving said benefit.
The irony of your handle here is just too much, because that's a convoluted statement if I ever saw one. But the truth is, even with the United hub at IAH I have a hard time seeing a scenario where it supports the route to Frankfurt long-term if it remains a daily service on the A380 ?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
9,992 posts, read 9,036,336 times
Reputation: 5418
99% of Houstonians don't fly to Houston
so why should we give a .......?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,073 posts, read 1,978,921 times
Reputation: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
The irony of your handle here is just too much, because that's a convoluted statement if I ever saw one. But the truth is, even with the United hub at IAH I have a hard time seeing a scenario where it supports the route to Frankfurt long-term if it remains a daily service on the A380 ?

And why not...?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Rocky Mountain Xplorer
852 posts, read 524,963 times
Reputation: 592
Whether it's originating or connecting passengers, I just have trouble seeing IAH having 500 people every day wanting service to Frankfurt ? I mean that's 2 daily 777 flights, right ? Certainly to London, but not Frankfurt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Houston
391 posts, read 410,041 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Houston is the 4th largest city. It was a continental hub before United. If united dumped a whole bunch of gates, someone else would come in and make it their hub. United just happened to be here.
I FULLY agree!! United wants all the credit for anything that happens at IAH. They need to understand the airline they took over was much better and much more liked than United.

Houston has a rockin economy and if United was to close some gates, there would be another airline itching to lease them out. Understand this, IAH does NOT need United. As long as there are airlines out there willing to lease out gates at IAH, then IAH will be just fine.

United is like one of those awful boyfriends that say "if you leave me you will be nothing without me and no one will ever want you again!" LOL
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Houston
391 posts, read 410,041 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Whether it's originating or connecting passengers, I just have trouble seeing IAH having 500 people every day wanting service to Frankfurt ? I mean that's 2 daily 777 flights, right ? Certainly to London, but not Frankfurt.
Most people who jump on Lufthansa do not have a final destination of Frankfurt. Many of these people are connecting to other international destinations so as long as Lufthansa offers superior service they will have the demand DAILY!

For example, if I were flying to Rome (which Houston doesn't offer direct service)... would I want to fly on a 777 to connect out of London -OR- a A380 to connect out of Frankfurt... hmmm, most passengers would jump at the chance to ride on a A380!

P.S. You can forget about our mayor ever saying anything nice about United as long as she is in office
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 AM
 
Location: plano
3,432 posts, read 2,644,711 times
Reputation: 2432
Airlines are effectively a non profit, if one adds up the industry profits for every year in existence it is a loss, much like a non profit. United may be the more recognized brand name than continental but its service reputation is poor from my experience. United was getting some pub on xm radio golf channel radio for damaging the morning show host's golf bag and equipment recently. They charged him $60 to haul his golf stuff and wont refund it because they claim they delivered it, not their fault it was damaged goods. Only in the airline business would someone even try this anti customre service argument. United had a chance to fix his problem but hasnt acted fast enough and clearly wouldnt have if he didnt have a national radio show to talk about their lack of service.

I for one am glad United calls Chicago not Houston home with their reputation for service.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Reputation: 6605
Jim, this is a little overboard.

Parker isn't a politician. She's an accounting wonk. She's also exactly what this city needs right now. Someone with greasier pockets probably would have remembered to kiss United's ass, but I find Mayor Parker's forgetfulness completely un-perturbing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Rocky Mountain Xplorer
852 posts, read 524,963 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Most people who jump on Lufthansa do not have a final destination of Frankfurt. Many of these people are connecting to other international destinations so as long as Lufthansa offers superior service they will have the demand DAILY!

For example, if I were flying to Rome (which Houston doesn't offer direct service)... would I want to fly on a 777 to connect out of London -OR- a A380 to connect out of Frankfurt... hmmm, most passengers would jump at the chance to ride on a A380!

P.S. You can forget about our mayor ever saying anything nice about United as long as she is in office
I understand all of that, that's why I said it applied to "originating or connecting" passengers where connecting meant connecting in Houston or Frankfurt, going and coming.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Rocky Mountain Xplorer
852 posts, read 524,963 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Jim, this is a little overboard.

Parker isn't a politician. She's an accounting wonk. She's also exactly what this city needs right now. Someone with greasier pockets probably would have remembered to kiss United's ass, but I find Mayor Parker's forgetfulness completely un-perturbing.
I appreciate Parker's accounting background, it happens to be my own atleast academically.
But she does need to have a bit more savvy about the commercial aviation business because it's so vital to large urban areas like Houston. A city really needs to be supportive of its hub-carrier, not acrimonious and vindictive. That's stupid, that's bad business. I'm originally from Missouri, and I can tell you that St. Louis has never been the same since it lost TWA. Oh I guess it was already kinda in decline before that, but TWAs departure accelerated the process.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top