Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll tell you where that comes from,
credit cards give lots of credit to anybody... keep in mind, that the way they make money is to let people borrow money and then get paid back with interest.

How do they make money with people that are very unlikely to ever pay back?
Chapter 7 bankruptcy = Government pays their debt with our tax dollars

I was talking about low income, not middle income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
These people should see the segregation by income here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I mean, I like living here and all, but just in Oakland alone, West Oakland and South Oakland (along International Blvd.) are diametrically different from Rockridge and the hills, or cities like Orinda and Lafayette just over the mountain. You don't see sizable middle-class communities until you get to some far out suburbs.

And forget about San Francisco and almost all of the Peninsula and Silicon Valley, unless you happen to luck into a foreclosure or an older suburban neighborhood covered in perpetual fog. Even then, it's pricey.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:15 PM

312 posts, read 797,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
These people should see the segregation by income here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I mean, I like living here and all, but just in Oakland alone, West Oakland and South Oakland (along International Blvd.) are diametrically different from Rockridge and the hills, or cities like Orinda and Lafayette just over the mountain. You don't see sizable middle-class communities until you get to some far out suburbs.

And forget about San Francisco and almost all of the Peninsula and Silicon Valley, unless you happen to luck into a foreclosure or an older suburban neighborhood covered in perpetual fog. Even then, it's pricey.
I was born and raised in Oakland (and live in Houston now). Even growing up in the 70s and 80s the income disparity in the Bay Area was quite evident. Income disparity almost always meant racial and ethnic disparity, as most poor and working class people in Oakland were disproportionately Black and Latino. Totally comparable situation to today's Houston, and I see it each and every day.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM

36 posts, read 65,284 times
Why do Houston Conversations on this board always morph into conversations about California?
Two different animals.
One is all hat no cattle, the other too much cattle no hat.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Are you sure you arent seeing the segregation. Because I could have sworn you just described segregation of incomes. Where there are rich people living on one side of the street and average to lower income people living on the other. That is the epitome of segregation.

I believe that Houston is extremely economically segregated, because I can see it while I'm driving around.
Never been those overly optimistic, walk around with a smile plastered to my face and ONLY visit the nice neighborhoods like Rice Village, Uptown, Med Center, Upper Kirby, etc.
I take a drive through Alief, Third ward, Sharpstown, North Houston, Cloverleaf, etc. and you can see the gentrification happening. (I'm not saying I'm better than anyone because of that, Its just irks me that many people turn a blind eye to these neighborhoods and it really annoys me that Houstonians don't talk about both the great neighborhoods and the bad neighborhoods)

Heck driving down 288 you can see that one side is these towering highrises and the med. center one of the nicest areas in all of Houston, and then the other side of the highway is third-ward where people are struggling to make a living and make ends meet. Drive a little further down and you can see some newly built condo's with high gates to keep the locals out.
Uptown and the Galleria area is almost exactly the same, you drive a little further down wesheimer past Chimney Rock and you can see the difference. Again no surprise of the income disparity.

And as more and more suburban kids move into the newly gentrified areas of Houston once they've found a full time job, they tend to look down at the neighborhoods that are considered "rough". When I was discussing some places that a few friends from my high school(Clements) were moving to they would be dejected at the idea of living in anywhere beside the affluent parts of town(Rice Village, Uptown, Med Center, Upper Kirby, etc. ). And I was thinking "hey whats wrong with roughing it up a bit and being a bit humbled, there could be some serious life lessons to be learned by living next door to someone who doesnt have their life be as stable and fortunate as yours". But that argument didn't seem like something that they should trouble their life with.

The income disparity in Houston is quite apparent and although other cities in Chicago and NY have the same problems, we seem to have it blatantly obvious which I guess is good because we aren't trying to hide it like the other cities.
Maybe i'm missing something but this is evident in most major and even smaller cities in America. This is not just Houston this is America. And some places are alot worst then Houston. Go to Natchez, Mississippi and see some outrageous segregation. Birmingham,Detroit, Chicago segregation is much more evident then Houston. Have you ever been to Chicago? It's really unreal in Chicago. Houston is nowhere near on that level of segregation as Chicago. Chicago's southside and westside mostly African American and declining population. Yet outside of that Chicago is this "wonderful" progressive utopia full of mostly white populations and not a drop of black residents. Ever since they tore down the projects in Chicago that were closer to the cities core the black and white population have grown further apart. Where i'm from it's the same dynamic even though a few white residents stayed on our street(because they were there before the population started changing color and refuse to go due to white flight) it was mostly AA's and mexicans stayed on my side of town. Southside and East side. The further north you move to the city the wealthier and whiter it got. This is Longview,East Texas. Also recently when I went to Palo Alto,CA they hide there segregation by creating another city call East Palo Alto full of minorities and lower income areas, even though it's right down the street from each other literally.

And what parts of 3rd ward do you go to? I'm in 3rd Ward every week and it's pretty much like a 2nd home to me since I've moved to Houston. 3rd Ward is a mix of struggling areas and affluent black areas as well. It's not some big hellhole. It has hole in the wall joints and laid back cool clubs and lounges, cafe's. It's some pretty wealthy black people in 3rd Ward. Unlike 5th Ward which for the most part is pretty depressing and in a decline. 3rd Ward is thriving with a social and culture scene that can rival the Heights and Washington. Of course most of Houston's population that isn't black isn't aware of this. Go down to Southmore ave(some bad and some good)Dowling street,Almeda, Scott and you'll see people hanging out having a good time. Trust me i'm from what people call the hood and it's always good and bad(even though I feel this is the same in these "affluent" areas anywhere). But the bad doesn't outweigh the good in 3rd Ward like the Southwest. Then again when your black in this country and you come from a lower income area this nothing new and you see it everywhere in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
They are poor because it is learned behavior. They are taught the culture of poverty. I recommend a book called La Familia Sanchez to those of you who struggle with the concept and an understanding of the world.
Yes, people teach children to be poor. That makes alot of sense, I love how people not from these areas speak in such detail about these areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldgstanglewood View Post
Why do Houston Conversations on this board always morph into conversations about California?
Two different animals.
One is all hat no cattle, the other too much cattle no hat.
You do realize the 2 people that mentioned Cali first were from Cali. Or did you not realize this?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM

36 posts, read 65,284 times
Darling, I don't care who started it in This thread
, it's a general observation.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldgstanglewood View Post
Darling, I don't care who started it in This thread
, it's a general observation.
That's the problem you don't care who started it and that's why you make idiotic observations. Stank you veddy much!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
white flight and magnet programs....simple as that as to why Houston is why it is now

white flight - They lived in South Park, Kashmere Gardens, Galena Park, Hiram Clarke, etc. but ran at the first sign of minorities moving in as businesses left also....HISD catered to them in droves by building schools for them (Sterling, Jones, Scarborough, etc.) only to see them run like roaches to Missouri City, Sugar Land, etc....then they do the same thing in Fort Bend County and now reside in outposts called Manvel

magnet schools - If the best and brightest kids in poorer areas aren't going to the schools in the areas they live in how can they motivate the less academically challenged student? Competition breeds success...none breeds mediocrity...bussing kids from 5th ward to schools in River Oaks where those residents don't give a flip about them is what has created this vacuum...

it seems some blacks did better in segregation as you were hungry to make something of yourself and you had pride where you grew up as we did business with ourselves...integration came they cheated and used hispanics as whites in some areas and blacks who could move away left for whatever reason to become the minority and then cry when their discriminated against in environments that don't want them initially

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
latest card play if you dont give me a tank of money car load of pretty blonds and a mansion in river oaks, , its discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston