Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM

21 posts, read 109,719 times

Advertisements

New neighbors can't get electric turned on for whatever reason, generator has been running ALL night EVERY night for a week now. Have called the police, an officer came out and called me from his cell phone in front of the new neighbors, used my full name and said they cannot do anything about it, they have small children in the house and the electric is supposed to be turned on the next day...four days later and generator is still running. Where do generators fall in the noise ordinance??? Can't sleep!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 02:08 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,443,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsone View Post
New neighbors can't get electric turned on for whatever reason, generator has been running ALL night EVERY night for a week now. Have called the police, an officer came out and called me from his cell phone in front of the new neighbors, used my full name and said they cannot do anything about it, they have small children in the house and the electric is supposed to be turned on the next day...four days later and generator is still running. Where do generators fall in the noise ordinance??? Can't sleep!!!
That must be awful indeed! I cannot believe that nothing can be done about it.

This might help.

Noise Ordinance

Requirements: A permit must be obtained by users of any loudspeaker, sound amplifier or any other machine or device which produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound outside of a building or other enclosed structure. A copy of the completed application must be filed with the Police Department. Events in City parks require prior reservation from the Parks & Recreation Department.

I think the bolded parts pertain to your situation.

Here is a link to the actual law http://www.noisefree.org/cityord/houston.pdf

Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 AM

23,964 posts, read 15,059,733 times
I can't imagine how they are doing with small children and no electricity.

Those generators drove me nuts for 3 weeks while we were out due to the storm. A least they were keeping the milk and beer cold and running the fan.

Why don't you find out why they can't get power to their house and call the PUC? Over a week and cannot get electricity? What's up with Centerpoint, or whatever they call themselves now?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 AM

TVC15 - I saw that before I called the police but many officers do not know about it from what I've been told. I think I will print it out and show them when I call again.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

Crone - they came to visit me the next night after the police were out, said the people living there before were stealing power and that's why they are having problems getting it turned on...former residents have nothing to do with new residents ability to get power...asked if they bought the house and they said they are renting but they couldn't tell me who they are renting from just some man...sigh

Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM

23,964 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsone View Post
Crone - they came to visit me the next night after the police were out, said the people living there before were stealing power and that's why they are having problems getting it turned on...former residents have nothing to do with new residents ability to get power...asked if they bought the house and they said they are renting but they couldn't tell me who they are renting from just some man...sigh
Don't know the landlord? If most of us had the address, we'd know his name address and phone in 8 seconds.

This does not compute.

Stealing electricity is pretty common. You'd think the electricity providers would know one renter from another, even at the same address.

That generator is probably costing more to run than their light bill would be.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,020,950 times
I couldn't imagine having to pay for the gas on that thing. I bet it's running a full load which will need to be filled every few hours.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,020,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Don't know the landlord? If most of us had the address, we'd know his name address and phone in 8 seconds.

This does not compute.

Stealing electricity is pretty common. You'd think the electricity providers would know one renter from another, even at the same address.

That generator is probably costing more to run than their light bill would be.

Of course it is. It probably goes through at min 6 gals a day.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:08 AM

No, it does not pass the sniff test...the property address and mailing address are the same in HCAD for the owner and no phone listing online. The fuel cost to run the generator is far outweighting what the electricity cost would be, not sure what deposits would be for electric today.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,568,330 times
A lot a younger people will rent houses and use them to grow marijuana and they will steal power right from the pole. I bet the police issued the property owner a citation now it will take a good little while to get the power turned. I also think the power company is going after the property owner with a big fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: