Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Anybody who goes on a reality show is a loser.
I'd love to see your reaction if somebody shows up at your house and tells you that you just won a drawing and you are going to be in the next "Pitbull with lipstick family reality show"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The way I read this board is" TWO chicken breasts MARRIED on toasty BUNS JOINED in celebration..." makes me think that you get TWO sandwiches, for you and your partner... no?
I was going to say that you were wrong
until I realized that it makes sense (total of 4 breasts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 AM

83 posts, read 204,439 times
It's a little more expensive there because everything is local. All of the food comes from Texas. All the beer and meat, etc. They really support Houston unlike many places. Also, if you sit on the patio, you'll see cooks come out of the kitchen and pick stuff straight out of their garden. One of my favorite places to eat in town.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4string View Post
It's a little more expensive there because everything is local. All of the food comes from Texas. All the beer and meat, etc.
I'm sorry but that just doesn't make any sense to my feeble brain. Go to any store and you'll see that food from Texas doesn't cost any more than if it was from other parts of the country. If anything it's slightly cheaper, since there isn't as big of a shipping cost involved. It sounds like you're paying extra for ambiance & concepts, which is why a "lesbian" chicken sandwich & lemonade will set you back $20 all-in.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'm sorry but that just doesn't make any sense to my feeble brain. Go to any store and you'll see that food from Texas doesn't cost any more than if it was from other parts of the country. If anything it's slightly cheaper, since there isn't as big of a shipping cost involved. It sounds like you're paying extra for ambiance & concepts, which is why a "lesbian" chicken sandwich & lemonade will set you back $20 all-in.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM

83 posts, read 204,439 times
Sounds like you haven't been there to find out for yourself.

Let me clarify. Small Texas farms like Jolie Vue in Brenham. Small local brewers like Karbach and St. Arnold's from Houston. Higher quality produced on a smaller scale. Compare it to price/quality at other Houston places like Pappas. Beaver's whole menu is very affordable. I'm not sure why that sandwich was so high.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,897 times
Quote:
Go to any store and you'll see that food from Texas doesn't cost any more than if it was from other parts of the country.
My guess would be if they only use locally sourced produce/meat, it probably is also all organic. E.g. free range chicken, grass fed beef, etc.... which is considerably more expensive even if it is local.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4string View Post
Sounds like you haven't been there to find out for yourself.

Let me clarify. Small Texas farms like Jolie Vue in Brenham. Small local brewers like Karbach and St. Arnold's from Houston. Higher quality produced on a smaller scale. Compare it to price/quality at other Houston places like Pappas. Beaver's whole menu is very affordable. I'm not sure why that sandwich was so high.

I haven't been there to find out, but regardless... you may have a point there on small farms. However during certain times of the year, even Wal-Mart sells produce from small local farms. St. Arnolds (most of which has a nasty back-end bite BTW) costs as much as Shiner. Organic/free-range may be an answer. I can also see where tending a personal garden can get expensive. But everything else just sounds like typical Washington Avenue.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
I haven't been there to find out, but regardless... you may have a point there on small farms. However during certain times of the year, even Wal-Mart sells produce from small local farms. St. Arnolds (most of which has a nasty back-end bite BTW) costs as much as Shiner. Organic/free-range may be an answer. I can also see where tending a personal garden can get expensive. But everything else just sounds like typical Washington Avenue.
What farms would these be? I've never really seen much local-sourcing in Houston and I'm curious...

Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
What farms would these be? I've never really seen much local-sourcing in Houston and I'm curious...
Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to know the names and by locally I meant "comes from Texas", which sounds like what this place is touting.

But I have found watermelons & strawberries from Hempstead & Brenham, blueberries (and pumpkins) actually from B&M farm in Silsbee, seen blueberries from another place in Lufkin, citrus and avocados from numerous places in the Rio Grande Valley. I haven't paid much attention to the meats, but the fresh fish & shrimp is mainly the Gulf.

I've taken the grocery shopping duty for the past several months which is pretty boring, and I look at all the labels or big boxes of melons & notice every once in a blue moon Texas produce will be slipped in there for 1-3 weeks and then replaced with something from some other state or country. Texan is definitely the exception, not the rule- but it doesn't cost any more or less and it's nothing special.

Anyway you're limited by season here and I'm curious how that works, too. Rotating menus every two months? I'll bet a Texas apple or cherry could be pretty expensive.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 PM

125 posts, read 203,943 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to know the names and by locally I meant "comes from Texas", which sounds like what this place is touting.
There's a list of local suppliers on Beaver's menu:
http://beavershouston.com/wp-content...-7.11.2012.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston