Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM

131 posts, read 537,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your tone.

I just found Dallas to be a friendlier place. When I was new in town, I frequented a few bars and restaurants downtown. I quickly found that the downtown social scene was young and vibrant, and the locals embraced me. I was introduced to people, and no one made fun of the prior cities I lived in. People were eager to network and kibitz about work. I feel the same way about Austin. It was easy to meet people in public at Zilker Park events or just walking up 5th Street.

When I moved here, I was harrasssed by a cop within the first week. I mean harrassed to the point where I filed a complaint. I stayed at the Alden, and I had the worst customer service I've ever experienced. A few nights ago, one of my neighbors parked literally two inches from my car. I have no idea how she even got out of her car as there was no room to even squeen in between the cars, much less open the door and get out. She must have exited through the passenger door. It was either a joke, or she was drunk out of her mind. Either way, I had a tough time backing out in the morning. This really seemed like a deliberate attempt to test the new guy in the neighborhood. I had to confront her to ask her not to park like that again. I was at Walgreens the other day, and I could not find any Red Bull. So I asked the cashier if they had any. She said, "The drinks are over there." So, I explained to her that I had already looked over there, and I just wanted to know if they carry Red Bull so I wouldn't waste my time looking for something they don't have. Her response: "If it's not there, I guess we don't have it." The manager was standing right there, so I turned to him to rectify the situation. He said not a word. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky here, but this is a pretty lame string of bad luck if that's the case. Oh, and see my post above about my slumlord who had one AC unit during my viewing of the apartment and then swapped it with an old, smelly AC unit before I moved in. I experienced none of that in Dallas.

Anyway, thanks for chatting about it. It's making me feel better to know you all are out there. Somewhere.
As a fairly new Houstonian, it sounds like you're just whining at this point.

Newsflash - there are people in low paying retail jobs all around the country who aren't all cheers and smiles. There's also the occasional rude cop who just loves to make other people's lives miserable. And I'm sure the girl who parked next to you isn't the only female who has trouble parking...

Or wait... she was "testing the new guy." Right, I'm sure that's exactly what she was thinking.

I think it's time you put on your big boy pants and stopped taking every little thing so personally like it's some big "Houston vs. You" issue. It's not, and the sooner you take a deep breath and realize this, the sooner you'll learn to accept Houston for what it is: a large metro area that feels remarkably like other American metro areas that aren't landlocked.

Houston has its own charm; it's up to you to accept that and live with it, or continue to be paranoid about every little thing that happens in your life.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM

194 posts, read 440,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
there is definitely good coffee here. if you are looking for a starbucks though you won't find it. i have lived here since elementary school (short of being away for university) and have only been asked once what church i go to. i was asked as a teen as i was at some church event of a friend. i 100% dont believe people randomly approach neighbors and ask what church they belong to. if that happened to me i'd know i need to look into a different neighborhood. cannot imagine being asked that question inside the city.

people being open and accommodating depends significantly on where you are. are you a male walking around downtown between lunch break and returning to the office? as a guy, im not going to stop you to try to strike up a conversation. i will in fact completely ignore you short of slamming into your person because i am thinking about how i should have had another soda or what i have to do back in the office

people in my neighborhood are very nice and throughout the year have block parties. that is normal around here. i've also never had a homeless person be even remotely rude to me, including in the downtown area.

if you've been here for a month i wouldnt expect you to have started a significant relationship and have a close knit circle of friends. i wouldn't even be unpacked yet. give it some time and loosen up
Thanks. I'm trying. I just got a harsh dose of reality when I arrived.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
When I moved here, I was harrasssed by a cop within the first week. I mean harrassed to the point where I filed a complaint. I stayed at the Alden, and I had the worst customer service I've ever experienced. A few nights ago, one of my neighbors parked literally two inches from my car. I have no idea how she even got out of her car as there was no room to even squeen in between the cars, much less open the door and get out. She must have exited through the passenger door. It was either a joke, or she was drunk out of her mind. Either way, I had a tough time backing out in the morning. This really seemed like a deliberate attempt to test the new guy in the neighborhood. I had to confront her to ask her not to park like that again. I was at Walgreens the other day, and I could not find any Red Bull. So I asked the cashier if they had any. She said, "The drinks are over there." So, I explained to her that I had already looked over there, and I just wanted to know if they carry Red Bull so I wouldn't waste my time looking for something they don't have. Her response: "If it's not there, I guess we don't have it." The manager was standing right there, so I turned to him to rectify the situation. He said not a word. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky here, but this is a pretty lame string of bad luck if that's the case. Oh, and see my post above about my slumlord who had one AC unit during my viewing of the apartment and then swapped it with an old, smelly AC unit before I moved in. I experienced none of that in Dallas.

I'd say that's a pretty lame string of bad luck.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm typically good natured about jokes, but that particular joke is getting a little old. Thanks for the advice. It seems to me like this town is sorely lacking a middle class.
It wasn't my intention to offend. My apologies.

I would disagree with regard to the bolded portion. I can see how it may seem that way to an attorney who is brand new, works in downtown and lives (if I'm understanding you correctly) near the intersection of Montrose and W. Gray, but I really doubt that you've had enough time or a big enough sampling of Houston to formulate an accurate characterization of this place. Also, if I'm close with regard to your neighborhood, then you're in one of the worst places for vehicle break-ins and burglary.

It's my opinion that you'll very suddenly have an extremely different perspective when you meet a girl here.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post
As a fairly new Houstonian, it sounds like you're just whining at this point.

Newsflash - there are people in low paying retail jobs all around the country who aren't all cheers and smiles. There's also the occasional rude cop who just loves to make other people's lives miserable. And I'm sure the girl who parked next to you isn't the only female who has trouble parking...

Or wait... she was "testing the new guy." Right, I'm sure that's exactly what she was thinking.

I think it's time you put on your big boy pants and stopped taking every little thing so personally like it's some big "Houston vs. You" issue. It's not, and the sooner you take a deep breath and realize this, the sooner you'll learn to accept Houston for what it is: a large metro area that feels remarkably like other American metro areas that aren't landlocked.

Houston has its own charm; it's up to you to accept that and live with it, or continue to be paranoid about every little thing that happens in your life.
I'm not whining. I was responding to a question. Those things happened to me here. They didn't happen to me elsewhere.

And I have reason to believe that my neighbor was testing me. There is a huge parking issue on my block, and I have had other neighbors tell me where I can and cannot park (which is complete BS since it's a public street, but I'm trying not to make waves). This woman is one of the neighbors who has been annoyed by the fact that my car is now on the street. There is no way you could park like that without realizing you're being rude. She literally could not have gotten out through the driver door.

I guess it's whining to expect a landlord not to misrepresent the deal. Perhaps some of my complaints are petty, but corrupt cops? I don't think that's whining at all.

Last edited by JazzOne; 08-13-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It wasn't my intention to offend. My apologies.

I would disagree with regard to the bolded portion. I can see how it may seem that way to an attorney who is brand new, works in downtown and lives (if I'm understanding you correctly) near the intersection of Montrose and W. Gray, but I really doubt that you've had enough time or a big enough sampling of Houston to formulate an accurate characterization of this place. Also, if I'm close with regard to your neighborhood, then you're in one of the worst places for vehicle break-ins and burglary.

It's my opinion that you'll very suddenly have an extremely different perspective when you meet a girl here.
I'm not offended. It's hard to convey tone on a forum. My neighborhood is in NW Houston, outside the 610 loop but inside the beltway. Not digging the vibe there.

Last edited by JazzOne; 08-13-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
I'm not offended. It's hard to convey tone on a forum. My neighborhood is in NW Austin, outside the 610 loop but inside the beltway. Not digging the vibe there.
How long until you know whether the firm will pick up your contract?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Just to prove that I am not here to bash Houston, I want to say something positive.

One of the posters sent me a private message, inviting me to have a beer with him and his friends at a midtown pub. That was very thoughtful, especially since I'm an anonymous entity posting a lot of negativity. Thanks.

Now if I only knew where midtown was.

Last edited by JazzOne; 08-13-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
How long until you know whether the firm will pick up your contract?
I wasn't going to broach the subject until I had been here at least two months. I think waiting another month after that would give me even more leverage. I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from the partners here, but I don't want to jump the gun. I know damn well that I'm easily replaceable.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
As far as Dallas-bashing and Houston-glorifying... uh you will just have to learn to deal with that. I can't help you out there =) In Houston, Houston is mighty, Dallas is wimpy... P.S. don't tell anyone you are from Dallas and people will be really nice to you LOL. I am welcoming and friendly to everyone that lives in Houston. You'd never get a snarl or snear from me that's for sure (although I have to admit I am the KING of Dallas bashing... but I won't hurt your feelings heheh).
Total and pure hypocrisy. Its funny when you do it but you guys cry when people from Dallas do it.

Its a two way street and both cities do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston