Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times

Advertisements

Maybe Pearland if you wanted to be in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Katy Taylor had a sterling reputation when I lived in KISD. Homes in 77079 in KISD are more affordable than those in SBISD. KISD is just not neighborhood that is you have to drive 5 miles or so from 77079 homes to get to HS and Jr HS in KISD. Also KISD was discussing an IBP located near Memorial and SH 6 right in the heart of 77079 in KISD. This isnt timely to help you but will have a positive impact on 77079 homes in KISD if it truly is put in place down the road.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM

18 posts, read 28,650 times
Based on the responses so far, I think the options are

Live in inner loop and send my boy to a private school. expensive option given my budget will limit me to town homes or apartments or
Live in Sugarland and bear the commute. But can get a really nice home for $500k-550k mark.

Given I dont expect to leave the office before 7 pm, the traffic wont be a killer. Guess in the morning leave at 6 and hit gym before getting to office.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayyil View Post
Based on the responses so far, I think the options are

Live in inner loop and send my boy to a private school. expensive option given my budget will limit me to town homes or apartments or
Live in Sugarland and bear the commute. But can get a really nice home for $500k-550k mark.

Given I dont expect to leave the office before 7 pm, the traffic wont be a killer. Guess in the morning leave at 6 and hit gym before getting to office.
Well your budget won't limit you to apartments or town homes (though no more than 2500 sqft with an actual lot is likely), but yes, if you want tip top schools, private is the option of choice in the inner loop.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM

Kind of inclined towards Sugar Land. Well, I will test it before my family moves over to see if I can survive the daily commute.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 AM

Coming from London, 2,500 sq ft does seem a lot for a family of 3, well 4 further down the line.

My current apartment will be roughly 700sqft!

I have seen many private schools in inner loop. Apart from St John's is it hard to get admission to Year 4 grade given it is not a normal admission year like Year 6 grade?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 AM

175 posts, read 367,534 times
At first the homes will seem massive, then you will get used to it and eventually you'll need that much space, trust me. I think you're making a good choice with Sugar Land. In particular, Commonwealth Elementary seems to be a very good school. The middle and high schools are excellent, as well. Sweetwater Blvd and the area east of 59 is prettier than New Territory, in my opinion, and the house prices are higher. For 500K you could find a very nice house. I would find an estate agent who specializes in that area.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronstew View Post
AI think you're making a good choice with Sugar Land. In particular, Commonwealth Elementary seems to be a very good school. The middle and high schools are excellent, as well. Sweetwater Blvd and the area east of 59 is prettier than New Territory, in my opinion, and the house prices are higher. For 500K you could find a very nice house. I would find an estate agent who specializes in that area.
New Territory is very pretty! The other side of 59 isn't much different, there's just more of it.

Driving the residential streets of First Colony, New Territory, or Sugar Mill north of Hwy 90A, they all have a similar look. Similar-looking brick homes, with oak trees lining the streets.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
I would not do the Sugar Land commute and West Houston commute. Given your and your wife's commute, I would suggest living somewhere along hwy 59. Since you're ok with smaller townhomes or houses, you can find something in afton oaks, west U, Upper Kirby, St George Place, Bellaire, montrose, etc. I'm not sure about the shool situation, but I know some of these areas are zoned to good elementaries such as River Oaks, School at St George. Or buy less house and send to private...not all private schools are as expensive as St johns or kinkaid.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM

43 posts, read 68,939 times
Thayyil, I live in Parkway Villages and had two kids go thru Bush Ele. Can't go wrong there. It is in 77077. The West side of town has just added a new set of hospitals on I-10 and Barker Cypress. The previous person mentioned that its a sellers market. I am a realtor and can attest to that. Multiple offers are the norm these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston