U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 20,103 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Back in London, a Chilean friend of mine introduced me to a restaurant that sold the most gorgeous fried empanadas I've ever tasted: sweet mussels, tender squid and shrimp cooked in a garlicky, tomato sauce and stuffed into deep fried heaven!

Now with Texas' close proximity to South America, I was kinda expecting (hoping) to find an abundance of these babies but Google hasn't done me any favours so far.

Anyone able to help me out with recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,474,402 times
manena's on westheimer. dont have seafood but they are good and cheap

marini's perhaps?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM

954 posts, read 682,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyfeet68 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Back in London, a Chilean friend of mine introduced me to a restaurant that sold the most gorgeous fried empanadas I've ever tasted: sweet mussels, tender squid and shrimp cooked in a garlicky, tomato sauce and stuffed into deep fried heaven!

Now with Texas' close proximity to South America, I was kinda expecting (hoping) to find an abundance of these babies but Google hasn't done me any favours so far.

Anyone able to help me out with recommendations?
I would love to know where to find these as well!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,127,876 times
There's a Peruvian restaurant in League City, but I don't know if they do seafood empanadas. I forgot the name, but its easy to Google.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,378,954 times
Seafood empanadas????????? That is sacrilegious. Beef and potato go into empanadas. Maybe El Paisa on Richmond.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 PM

4,333 posts, read 7,138,587 times
Default Goode Seafood Company....

This restaurant has some, it is not a main course, but rather an appetizer, but good anyway. Way too small though. I could make a meal of them.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 AM

3,161 posts, read 2,229,241 times
try over on Long point/Gessner/Blalock area, there are several Perevian restaurants w/strong seafood menus in that area...

I know of prolly 20+/- SA restaurants in Harris county area that serves empanadas, I know of none that serve what you're askng for.

If you sweet talk the owner over @ Emporio Brazilian Cafe , he could make you some...
Emporio Brazilian Cafe

Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 AM

10,306 posts, read 9,973,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Seafood empanadas????????? That is sacrilegious. Beef and potato go into empanadas. Maybe El Paisa on Richmond.
I've never had that one,
but in Venezuela we make "Empanada de cazon" it is the best empanada that you'll ever had...
BTW, don't ask what's "cazon" until after you ate it. (cazon = shark)

Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 AM

293 posts, read 497,919 times
Hey Dopo, that is if they don't give you Raya (Ray) instead gotta watch out where you buy them
I know Deli's cafe in Cinco does make the real thing....

To the original poster, probably Marini's is your best bet... 2 locations... Cinco Ranch (Mason @ Westheimer Pkwy) or Westchase (Westheimer & Beltway 8)

Usually Chilean/Argentinian empanadas are made of flour and cooked in the oven...

Venezuelan empanadas (my favorites are made of corn and friend...

Hey Dopo, how about a Pabellon empanada at the ferry terminal in Pto. La Cruz!!?? rice, black beans, meet and a fried platain... now that's what you call an empanada!!! I'm hungry now!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM

10,306 posts, read 9,973,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
Hey Dopo, how about a Pabellon empanada at the ferry terminal in Pto. La Cruz!!?? rice, black beans, meet and a fried platain... now that's what you call an empanada!!! I'm hungry now!
I would eat a mud cake in Puerto La Cruz and enjoy it. (Mochima)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston