Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:25 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well I don't think we have to pick on the "thuggy types". After all, it's their city, too. Downtown's big enough for everybody to share it.
For real?? No town is big enough for thugs - there is no reason for people to be that way -- thugs are vultures preying on others. Can't imagine why "thuggy types" are okay -- the city should belong to those who choose to live in it, care for it and its citizens and not those who violate the civil rights of everyone else.

Last edited by texas7; 10-06-2007 at 08:34 PM..

Old 10-06-2007, 08:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
Quote:
But that's commuter rail, isn't it?
Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA

Not exactly. The *el* lines in Chicago run every 10 to 20 minutes all day (more frequently during rush hours, less frequently during the late evening hours). Different lines run more or less frequently especially on the weekends.

Here's what a really good transportation system that includes elevated rail and buses looks like in Chicago. The one you saw in the video goes from the airport (Midway) to downtown. The blue line goes from Ohare to downtown and out to Forrest Park. The purple and red lines go from Wilmette-Evanston (where I used to live to down town. The pink line is new.

Maps:

CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - System Maps (http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/systemmaps.html - broken link)
CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - Train Schedules (http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html - broken link)

This is a map of the LOOP itself - it goes around the downtown making several stops. Several different *el* lines converge and go around the loop before heading back to their respective parts of the city and suburbs.

Map:
CTA | System Map - Downtown (broken link)

The commuter rail line is land based and not light rail. It also goes out to many of the suburbs.

Metra - Welcome to Metra
Map here:
Metra - Metra System Map

System map for Metrarail
Metra - Metra System Map

As you can see, both the *el* and the metra served Evanston. (There are three Evanston stops on the metra, more on the CTA)

Dorothy

Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,552,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA

Not exactly. The *el* lines in Chicago run every 10 to 20 minutes all day (more frequently during rush hours, less frequently during the late evening hours). Different lines run more or less frequently especially on the weekends.

Here's what a really good transportation system that includes elevated rail and buses looks like in Chicago. The one you saw in the video goes from the airport (Midway) to downtown. The blue line goes from Ohare to downtown and out to Forrest Park. The purple and red lines go from Wilmette-Evanston (where I used to live to down town. The pink line is new.

Maps:

CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - System Maps (http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/systemmaps.html - broken link)
CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - Train Schedules (http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html - broken link)

This is a map of the LOOP itself - it goes around the downtown making several stops. Several different *el* lines converge and go around the loop before heading back to their respective parts of the city and suburbs.

Map:
CTA | System Map - Downtown (broken link)

The commuter rail line is land based and not light rail. It also goes out to many of the suburbs.

Metra - Welcome to Metra
Map here:
Metra - Metra System Map

System map for Metrarail
Metra - Metra System Map

As you can see, both the *el* and the metra served Evanston. (There are three Evanston stops on the metra, more on the CTA)

Dorothy
Ahh, That really brings back memories. I remember it as being cleaner than the SF Bart or NY subway. I remember when I first went to Chicago, it is such a treat to be able to take metrarail straight from the airport to my hotel downtown. I was tired and hungry, the last thing I wanted was to get a car, look at map and find my way around the streets at night.

And the metrarail certainly makes it fun exploring a city. You don't have to park, or try driving and looking at map at the same time. Plus you can concentrate on looking at the surroundings instead of traffic lights, and really take in the city. All the attractions were within easy reach by rail. I remember there was a also little shuttle that takes us around to all the museums in the museums area, but we actually walk to most of them.

That is the kind of rail system what we need in Houston. Our attractions are spread out.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Yes, Houston really does need a major rail line like that of DC or San Francisco. And I'm not talking about light rail. I'm talking about Heavy Rail. That's one thing I wish Dallas did. Put in heavy rail equal to DC. DC's rail system is one of the best in the world and they are steady expanding it. It's clean and it's efficient. I ride it every day now that I live in the DC area. Light rail is wonderful but it does not nearly hold as much as heavy rail would. Seeing how Houston is now closing on 6 million and the MSA is bigger than DC's MSA area, I wish Houston would get on the bandwagon as well.

The problem is Culberson. He is so anti-rail and so depended on oil that it's laughable. Thank God Delay is gone. Now Culberson has to leave for Houston to progress. But you don't know how good heavy rail is until you are out on the town late at night on the weekend. I should know. I experienced it this weekend.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 AM
PhD

21 posts, read 102,758 times
Dallas does have one. It runs from Ft.Worth,to Irving, to Dallas.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:06 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
For real?? No town is big enough for thugs - there is no reason for people to be that way -- thugs are vultures preying on others. Can't imagine why "thuggy types" are okay -- the city should belong to those who choose to live in it, care for it and its citizens and not those who violate the civil rights of everyone else.
That's not fair. I don't think we should jump to certain conclusions based on one's appearance. Unless we see them hurt someone or commit a crime, we need to view them and treat them like every citizen of this city deserves to be treated.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It also goes out to many of the suburbs.
...as a good commuter rail should, lol.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

The problem is Culberson. He is so anti-rail and so depended on oil that it's laughable. Thank God Delay is gone. Now Culberson has to leave for Houston to progress.
Unfortunately for us, Culberson is a real Texan. He's all about oil. I think of him and I see one of those corny executive honchos that wear business suits with cowboy hats and boots, sitting in a corner office with marble flooring and 80's furnishing.

It's time for us to move on.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:43 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
Quote:
That's not fair. I don't think we should jump to certain conclusions based on one's appearance. Unless we see them hurt someone or commit a crime, we need to view them and treat them like every citizen of this city deserves to be treated.
Recently the mayor of Dallas proposed banning the underwear exposing baggy pants from the city .... he said "Its time for the men of this city to step up to the plate and say 'come on fellas, its time to pull your pants up; it's disrespectful and it needs to stop'" I'm certainly not judging anyone by appearance - but a thug is a thug (those with thug behavior) and seriously "thuggy types" should not be tolerated in the city.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Recently the mayor of Dallas proposed banning the underwear exposing baggy pants from the city .... he said "Its time for the men of this city to step up to the plate and say 'come on fellas, its time to pull your pants up; it's disrespectful and it needs to stop'" I'm certainly not judging anyone by appearance - but a thug is a thug (those with thug behavior) and seriously "thuggy types" should not be tolerated in the city.
People just need to leave our kids alone, so I'll say again: Unless we see them hurt someone or commit a crime, we need to view them and treat them like every citizen of this city deserves to be treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston