Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times

Advertisements

Media reporting that the local government will begin aerial spraying over Harris County today in order to "reduce mosquito populations".

What they're not reporting is WHAT it is they'll be spraying over our neighborhoods, lakes, creeks, etc. No mention about what chemicals they're planning on using. Shouldn't we be told? Hello, Houston media?

Northwest Harris County to receive aerial spray to combat West Nile - Community Impact Newspaper

PS...Most of Harris County and Houston's water supply has been converted to surface water. Concerned?

Found these articles regarding the recent sprayings in Dallas. Noticed they setup certain "exclusion" zones where they would not spray, including the area around former president Bush's house in Preston Hollow. If it's safe for everyone, why do that?

Last edited by Mr. Football; 08-22-2012 at 01:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I can't believe that people in Texas let the government do aerial spraying of chemicals.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I can't believe that people in Texas let the government do aerial spraying of chemicals.
It is better than people dying from West Nile. Heck a lot of areas already have the trucks driving around spraying even worse stuff. Have you ever been outside when one of those trucks drives by? It makes you want to gag from all the chemicals. I have a very large detention pond right be behind my house and and a small community lake in front of my house but yet thanks to the efforts I have yet to bit by one single mosquito.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM

392 posts, read 998,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Media reporting that the local government will begin aerial spraying over Harris County today in order to "reduce mosquito populations".

What they're not reporting is WHAT it is they'll be spraying over our neighborhoods, lakes, creeks, etc. No mention about what chemicals they're planning on using. Shouldn't we be told? Hello, Houston media?

Northwest Harris County to receive aerial spray to combat West Nile - Community Impact Newspaper

PS...Most of Harris County and Houston's water supply has been converted to surface water. Concerned?

Found these articles regarding the recent sprayings in Dallas. Noticed they setup certain "exclusion" zones where they would not spray, including the area around former president Bush's house in Preston Hollow. If it's safe for everyone, why do that?
'

I hit up google, took 10 seconds found this article on it Harris County plans aerial mosquito spraying to combat West Nile virus | abc13.com

"The insecticide, Dibrom (EPA-approved), is routinely used for aerial spray operations to combat mosquito-borne disease and will be used during the spray operation in Harris County. Dibrom is considered to be safe for the environment and is applied according to the label instructions. For people concerned about exposure during the aerial spray operation, HCPHES recommends individuals stay indoors while the aerial treatment is being conducted in the affected areas, as a precaution. "

Then I googled Dibrom, and here is the specifics on it (My ass is going to be inside whenever they are putting this stuff out) Here is the link to where I got this What You Need To Know About NALED (Dibrom)

Naled (trade name Dibrom) is an organophosphate with many of the same characteristics and concerns as malathion. Naled can cause cholinesterase inhibition in humans: that is, it can over stimulate the nervous system causing nausea, dizziness, confusion, and at high exposures, can cause respiratory paralysis and death. One of the byproducts of degradation of Naled is dichlorvos, another registered organophosphate. This compound is of toxicological concern.

Researchers at the Cornell University Program on
Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors in New York State review several studies on dichlorvos. In one study, female mice that were fed high doses of dichlorvos over a long period of time had a higher frequency of stomach cancers than untreated mice. High doses of dichlorvos fed over two years caused an increase in the number of male rats that had pancreatic tumors and leukemia. A higher number of leukemia cases were reported in one study among male farmers who used dichlorvos for more than ten days per year, compared to those who had not used dichlorvos. A higher number of childhood brain cancer cases were reported among families that used dichlorvos than among families that did not.

The pesticide
trichlorfon is a common ingredient in the mosquito pesticide dibrom (naled). In one study, trichlorfon was found to cause a "severe reduction" in brain weight (and shape) in test animals exposed. The timing of exposure to the developing offspring appeared to be the key factor in determining neurological damage (known as the "critical brain growth period"). It occurred when the chemical was administered between 40-50 days gestation for the guinea pig, which scientists say, correlates with the brain growth spurt period for the animal.

Russian scientists studied the growth rates of fish called Bream (Abramis brama) after exposure to the dibrom/naled contaminant dichlorvos. The first major effect detected was a significant reduction in the growth rates of the fish. Researchers believe it may be due to the subtle neurotoxin actions of the pesticide and its effects upon the areas of the brain involved in feeding or food search mechanisms.

Naled is characterized as very highly toxic to bees and aquatic invertebrates. It is moderately to highly toxic to fish and slightly toxic to upland game birds and waterfowl. There is potential for chronic risk from Naled to estuarine invertebrates.

Impact of naled (Dibrom 14) on the mosquito vectors of eastern equine encephalitis virus This study reports on analyses of 11 years (1984-94) of mosquito collection data from Cicero and Toad Harbor swamps in relation to applications of naled. Naled applications were successful in achieving short-term reductions in mosquito abundance. However, despite repetitive applications, populations of the primary vector of EEE virus, Cs. melanura, have increased 15-fold at Cicero Swamp. Preventive applications had no noticeable impact on the enzootic amplification of EEE virus, and isolations of virus following preventive applications have resulted in additional spraying. The possibility that applications of naled contributed to increased populations of Cs. melanura discredits the rationale that preventive applications of naled reduce the risk of EEE. For more information, click here

Naled is the most toxic of the mosquito adulticides and is the only mosquito adulticide in class 1, the highest toxicity, with the signal word "Danger".

Naled is the only one that states in its label: inhaling can be FATAL.

Naled is corrosive to the skin and eyes and may cause permanent damage.

Once in the bloodstream, Naled may cross the placenta.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM

124 posts, read 320,317 times
http://dig.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/Prop..._8_22_2012.pdf

Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
'

I hit up google, took 10 seconds found this article on it Harris County plans aerial mosquito spraying to combat West Nile virus | abc13.com

"The insecticide, Dibrom (EPA-approved), is routinely used for aerial spray operations to combat mosquito-borne disease and will be used during the spray operation in Harris County. Dibrom is considered to be safe for the environment and is applied according to the label instructions. For people concerned about exposure during the aerial spray operation, HCPHES recommends individuals stay indoors while the aerial treatment is being conducted in the affected areas, as a precaution. "

Then I googled Dibrom, and here is the specifics on it (My ass is going to be inside whenever they are putting this stuff out) Here is the link to where I got this What You Need To Know About NALED (Dibrom)

Naled (trade name Dibrom) is an organophosphate with many of the same characteristics and concerns as malathion. Naled can cause cholinesterase inhibition in humans: that is, it can over stimulate the nervous system causing nausea, dizziness, confusion, and at high exposures, can cause respiratory paralysis and death. One of the byproducts of degradation of Naled is dichlorvos, another registered organophosphate. This compound is of toxicological concern.

Researchers at the Cornell University Program on
Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors in New York State review several studies on dichlorvos. In one study, female mice that were fed high doses of dichlorvos over a long period of time had a higher frequency of stomach cancers than untreated mice. High doses of dichlorvos fed over two years caused an increase in the number of male rats that had pancreatic tumors and leukemia. A higher number of leukemia cases were reported in one study among male farmers who used dichlorvos for more than ten days per year, compared to those who had not used dichlorvos. A higher number of childhood brain cancer cases were reported among families that used dichlorvos than among families that did not.

The pesticide
trichlorfon is a common ingredient in the mosquito pesticide dibrom (naled). In one study, trichlorfon was found to cause a "severe reduction" in brain weight (and shape) in test animals exposed. The timing of exposure to the developing offspring appeared to be the key factor in determining neurological damage (known as the "critical brain growth period"). It occurred when the chemical was administered between 40-50 days gestation for the guinea pig, which scientists say, correlates with the brain growth spurt period for the animal.

Russian scientists studied the growth rates of fish called Bream (Abramis brama) after exposure to the dibrom/naled contaminant dichlorvos. The first major effect detected was a significant reduction in the growth rates of the fish. Researchers believe it may be due to the subtle neurotoxin actions of the pesticide and its effects upon the areas of the brain involved in feeding or food search mechanisms.

Naled is characterized as very highly toxic to bees and aquatic invertebrates. It is moderately to highly toxic to fish and slightly toxic to upland game birds and waterfowl. There is potential for chronic risk from Naled to estuarine invertebrates.

Impact of naled (Dibrom 14) on the mosquito vectors of eastern equine encephalitis virus This study reports on analyses of 11 years (1984-94) of mosquito collection data from Cicero and Toad Harbor swamps in relation to applications of naled. Naled applications were successful in achieving short-term reductions in mosquito abundance. However, despite repetitive applications, populations of the primary vector of EEE virus, Cs. melanura, have increased 15-fold at Cicero Swamp. Preventive applications had no noticeable impact on the enzootic amplification of EEE virus, and isolations of virus following preventive applications have resulted in additional spraying. The possibility that applications of naled contributed to increased populations of Cs. melanura discredits the rationale that preventive applications of naled reduce the risk of EEE. For more information, click here

Naled is the most toxic of the mosquito adulticides and is the only mosquito adulticide in class 1, the highest toxicity, with the signal word "Danger".

Naled is the only one that states in its label: inhaling can be FATAL.

Naled is corrosive to the skin and eyes and may cause permanent damage.

Once in the bloodstream, Naled may cross the placenta.
So what you are saying is I should not walk up to one of these planes before it takes off and put my mouth on the nozzle and ask them to turn on the sprayer?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

392 posts, read 998,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
So what you are saying is I should not walk up to one of these planes before it takes off and put my mouth on the nozzle and ask them to turn on the sprayer?

Pretty much, or stand outside and let the mist from the spray cool you off.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Please. With all of the other chemicals humans have inadvertently consumed over our lifetimes? It can't be any worse than when people who use half a can of Raid on one roach.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times
Hallelujah. (Cue Handel's Messiah).

Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It can't be any worse than when people who use half a can of Raid on one roach.
They chose to use Raid in their house
I didn't choose to have the government spray my house with chemicals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston