Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM

811 posts, read 1,546,672 times

Advertisements

I have wondered that. Dogs can roam for miles if they are lost so maybe they eventually come to a freeway and then they don't stand a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM

538 posts, read 1,355,252 times
They simply don't know how to get to the other side. I've two lately, dead on on-ramps. You can tell they're just trying to find their way across. It breaks my heart.

You can call your local precinct in Harris County. They have a dead animal pick-up number.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,758,495 times
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what responsibility do drivers have here. I don't mean legal per se. I mean are these dogs trying to cross during rush hour traffic? Are they crossing at night? I would like to think I would be able to swerve and not hit the dog or anything on a highway. Hell, I drive around huge parts of tire rubber which I only see in the last minute. I hope to God we don't have people actually trying to hit them. Are they so hard to avoid?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM

538 posts, read 1,355,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what responsibility do drivers have here. I don't mean legal per se. I mean are these dogs trying to cross during rush hour traffic? Are they crossing at night? I would like to think I would be able to swerve and not hit the dog or anything on a highway. Hell, I drive around huge parts of tire rubber which I only see in the last minute. I hope to God we don't have people actually trying to hit them. Are they so hard to avoid?
I used to live in Destin, Florida, and one time we were driving to the airport in Pensacola. We were driving down Highway 98 and out of nowhere, this dog comes running from the grassy area near our side of the freeway. We clipped him/her and she turned around and ran back where she came from.

We didn't even have time to react, it happened so quickly. I would hope that's the case with the animals on the freeway. I can't imagine anyone intentionally hitting a large animal. I had a small animal flung into my rear quarter panel, when someone else hit it, and it caused me $2k worth of damage.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,758,495 times
Decapitated dog found at

I saw a local TV program about this awhile back.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM

259 posts, read 508,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
They simply don't know how to get to the other side. I've two lately, dead on on-ramps. You can tell they're just trying to find their way across. It breaks my heart.

You can call your local precinct in Harris County. They have a dead animal pick-up number.

I think you may be correct. Most of the places I have lived have the traditional incline/decline on-ramp Interstate system where the Interstates are separate entities from the non Interstate streets.

I have noticed in Texas especially Houston that the Interstates are more of the feeder/frontage road setups that run in the middle and have businesses and streets on either side. I guess it's easier for roaming dogs to get confused and eventually struck.

Edit to add: My neighborhood is actually nice and quiet with well taken care of lawns and nice "we been here for awhile" neighbors...The undesirable areas are far enough away for my comfort...but not far enough away for roaming dogs to come through from time to time.

Now the next question is why are there so many roaming dogs in Houston...especially North. I live not too far from the area where the Katrina "refugees" are located. "They" seem to have a different outlook of pet ownership than the average pet owner. It's sorta like I'll keep them around until I don't want them and then let them go type of pet ownership. And those dogs are usually mistreated.

Last edited by still_waiting; 08-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,579,566 times
This is a cultural problem that will only get worse.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM

2,943 posts, read 4,963,482 times
I've seen plenty. I saw a crushed armadillo. The thing looked like someone took a chainsaw to it. But the worst was dodging a German Shepherd. HUGE. Not from bloating but a really full grown one

Houston drivers just don't care. And people think they can walk and bike with these drivers. I don't think it's people tossing dogs but loose dogs crossing the street, a driver hitting them and then people not calling someone.

People do dodge blown out tires but no one can avoid a dog on the road? People have to be either going so fast they don't see them and it's night time or just not caring and thinking the dog will move and then they don't. Hitting a dog like that is akin to a person. Yes, it's a dog but it's still a living thing and a domesticated one at that that's probably smarter than the driver. It's not a rodent like a skunk or armadillo.

Who do you call to pick up dogs like that?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM

18 posts, read 50,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i dont have stray animal problems in my neighborhood. pitbulls are not necessary aggressive, but like any dog you dont want some strange one approaching you.

houston has a good sized population of scummy people who dont understand the concept of a pet. there is a ring of pitbull fights and animal mutilators that have not all been caught. when they kill the animals they dump their bodies along the road it looks like. there is also a population of dumb redneck truck owners that think the back of a truck is a safe place to put an animal. ive seen a dog fly out the back of a truck on 59. needless to say it died a horrific death. horrible people
That's interesting. I've also noticed there are a hell of a lot of animal shelters in Houston doing their best but all trying to offload dogs for next to nothing. And then there are guys selling pups by the side of the road. How is this socially acceptable?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,941,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I've seen plenty. I saw a crushed armadillo. The thing looked like someone took a chainsaw to it. But the worst was dodging a German Shepherd. HUGE. Not from bloating but a really full grown one

Houston drivers just don't care. And people think they can walk and bike with these drivers. I don't think it's people tossing dogs but loose dogs crossing the street, a driver hitting them and then people not calling someone.

People do dodge blown out tires but no one can avoid a dog on the road? People have to be either going so fast they don't see them and it's night time or just not caring and thinking the dog will move and then they don't. Hitting a dog like that is akin to a person. Yes, it's a dog but it's still a living thing and a domesticated one at that that's probably smarter than the driver. It's not a rodent like a skunk or armadillo.

Who do you call to pick up dogs like that?
I've never seen a person hit a dog without first trying to avoid it. At the least it damages your car and most people are atleast worried about that. I'd be sick to my stomach if I hit an animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston