Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,365 times

Advertisements

Thank-you for the suggestions, I'll look into the areas mentioned above.

We are also looking into John Cooper but Awty is our first preference as they offer the IB program which would be benificial for our high schooler as she is deciding on whether to return home to Australia for college or choose to study in the UK or US. IB will give her choices from any country

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Klein Oak High school has IB.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Thanks crone. I haven't looked into any public schools as my husbands package includes private school fees for our children. I just took a look at the school website and noted how big the school is (big by Australian school sizes), I think our high schooler would find that size of school quite intimidating, largest school she has been at has been approx 1000 students PK-12. Thank-you though for the suggestion.

Could you suggest any other zip codes that I may want to look at that would be a little more south of the Champion area (closer to Awty)that would reduce the commute to school? I took a look at the Heights areas suggested and naturally it seems to be much more expensive there given that it's closer to downtown.

Any areas we should stay away from ?

Thanks so much

Last edited by Melbourne Family; 08-28-2012 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Try north/northwest of the Heights a bit into Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, Shepherd Park. I would stay close to the north freeway (I-45) for easier commuting to The Woodlands.

South of Champions, consider northwest Houston close to the beltway. We live in Woodwind Lakes in NW Houston and have been at Awty for years. We are the same distance from The Woodlands as in the Heights (almost 30 miles), and I have a neighbor who commutes there daily. With quick access to the Beltway (and if you don't mind a toll) it is an easy commute. Other neighborhoods in this area include Laurel Creek and Jersey Village, with JV being across the beltway and (IMO) with somewhat less convenient access.

Champions is lovely but it isn't at all convenient to Awty. I'm up there regularly for kids activities and last year we had horseback riding after school. Yoinks, it would take nearly an hour to get there and I'm not talking about rush hour. There simply isn't a direct route.

With your budget though, you should be able to find something in the Heights and you may prefer being closer to town.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
IMO, you are in a not so good for commuting situation.

Forget Champions. There is no easy way. DH just went Champion forest to Antoine down to Hempstead Highway. It was 45 minutes no matter what.

There is no point in everybody in the family being tied to a freeway 24/7. I'd get as close to the school as I could. DH will just have to spend 3 hours a day on the road. If you want a family life, check out John Cooper.

Welcome to Houston.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston