Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
the problem is school zoning. Everything zoned to memorial high is out of reach for a first time buyer. Those zoned to Spring Woods have a while to wait on the transition. Those zoned to northbrook, don't even consider it right now I think.
What about around Wirt/Long Point and west of there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What about around Wirt/Long Point and west of there?
Well between Campbell (or bingle???) and Wirt south of long point is all zoned to memorial, so yeah it's valuable (and prices are according). East of Wirt north of westview is no mans land.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM

23 posts, read 51,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronstew View Post
I live in 77055 right now and the area seems extremely transitional to me, i.e. some not very pleasant areas intermixed with some okay-looking areas. I wouldn't want to live here, personally. We're just renting and moving out soon.
Thank you. Looking into renting at the Oaks of Moritz? on Moritz Dr.... is this an okay area? right now I'm just trying to secure a place that is not too expensive $600-$800 range because I'm going to do a six month lease and move again if i don't like it. I don't have the time or funds to travel back and forth between Washington state and Texas to actually look around. but when I do get settled in houston i can figure out the next move a little better.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscamx View Post
Thank you. Looking into renting at the Oaks of Moritz? on Moritz Dr.... is this an okay area? right now I'm just trying to secure a place that is not too expensive $600-$800 range because I'm going to do a six month lease and move again if i don't like it. I don't have the time or funds to travel back and forth between Washington state and Texas to actually look around. but when I do get settled in houston i can figure out the next move a little better.
Is that for an apartment? I'm glad you mentioned some numbers because I think for the whole general area that's really really low. Unless you want to be in the not so nice parts or straddling it big time.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM

175 posts, read 367,420 times
Yes, I agree with DejaBlue. This area is going to be so-so in terms of quality. For that price range, you're not going to find anything that close-in that's in a good area, or at least what most people consider good (low crime, pleasant surroundings, etc). For example, the market rate for our apartment is $1900. For that kind of price range, I'd be looking either way out in the far out burbs or for a small garage apartment in the Heights, maybe. Are you on your own? That Moritz place looks a little rough to me, but if you're on your own maybe you don't mind that.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM

23 posts, read 51,833 times
yes I'll be on my own for starts, and no i don't mind it...

Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
We moved from 77055 last year.

Good points... close to everything, quiet, and typically a good investment on property value.
Bad points... crime (we were broken into twice during the last year, with security system and dogs), one block is nice and the next block over is real sketchy.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM

94 posts, read 172,367 times
I used to live in a gated apt complex there which was fine and it had great acces to everything on I-10, but outside the complex was extremely sketchy. A few blocks west was gessner which was really bad but not as bad as that main road which runs east/west and has tons of payday lending places and old used car dealerships with Rottweilers guarding the lot at night. The middle class houses there were always littered with Republican yard signs way more so than an economically homogenous neighborhood, so I think the extremly far apart socio-economic groups don't exactly mix. I looked at houses there, but the groups of people outside the neighborhoods at night made me a bit nervous during my drive throughs. One of the streets was blocked off from Gessner with a big metal fence and people would be just standing, hanging out outside the fence around 9:30 at night which is creepy. I'd recommend caution with that area.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Since you want to be near U of H, I'd recommend looking for a 4plex or similar in Heights or Montrose. You should be able to find something at the $800 range.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonProfessional View Post
I used to live in a gated apt complex there which was fine and it had great acces to everything on I-10, but outside the complex was extremely sketchy. A few blocks west was gessner which was really bad but not as bad as that main road which runs east/west and has tons of payday lending places and old used car dealerships with Rottweilers guarding the lot at night. The middle class houses there were always littered with Republican yard signs way more so than an economically homogenous neighborhood, so I think the extremly far apart socio-economic groups don't exactly mix. I looked at houses there, but the groups of people outside the neighborhoods at night made me a bit nervous during my drive throughs. One of the streets was blocked off from Gessner with a big metal fence and people would be just standing, hanging out outside the fence around 9:30 at night which is creepy. I'd recommend caution with that area.
Gessner is not the highlight of this area. You're also probably thinking of Longpoint, which is ugly. THere are sketchy parts alright, but also really nice parts. South of Westview is generally very nice but equally expensive. There are other nice neighborhoods that are less expensive though, just have to do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: