Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
This is a free country. If I want to go Autobahn speeds, so be it. It's a civil right. Don't go down without a fight.
The right to speed is a civil right. Ha, ha, ha, ha! Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

You are either being sarcastic, in which case I applaud you, or you are being serious, in which case I'd suggest you read up on civil rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:33 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
The wusses have the right lane.
Ok, come back to this forum when you or a loved one gets injured (or even worse) by some driving too fast.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
The right to speed is a civil right. Ha, ha, ha, ha! Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

You are either being sarcastic, in which case I applaud you, or you are being serious, in which case I'd suggest you read up on civil rights.
Quote:
1. the personal rights of the individual citizen, in most countries upheld by law, as in the US
Civil rights | Define Civil rights at Dictionary.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Ok, come back to this forum when you or a loved one gets injured (or even worse) by some driving too fast.
Irrelevant comparison. Same can happen if a traffic light is malfunctioning. Gonna ban traffic lights then? A computer is large enough to kill somebody. I can think of a lot of things. It's ok, dude. You tried. I'll give you some credit for that.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Um... in general when I get a ticket, it's because I was actually speeding. Traffic signs aren't just suggestions. If I felt my ticket was unjust or if I was ticketed for something I didn't do, then I would protest. Otherwise I take the slap on my hand, take 2 hours of my time, and am done with it. Now if I was ticketed for 5mph over then I may have a different mindset.
They are in Houston. The majority ignore them.

Quote:
You don't have a right to put me or my family in danger because you want to be like Mario Andretti. Even this free country has laws we must follow for the good of all it's citizens.
Exactly.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Lightbulb Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
They are in Houston. The majority ignore them.

Yes, that must be it.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Civil rights | Define Civil rights at Dictionary.com

Irrelevant comparison. Same can happen if a traffic light is malfunctioning. Gonna ban traffic lights then? A computer is large enough to kill somebody. I can think of a lot of things. It's ok, dude. You tried. I'll give you some credit for that.
No, you are the one that doesn't get. I am done, however, discussing this with you.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Default Ok, another try.. you're trying hard. Now, if you had read my first post closely....

Quote:
No, you are the one that doesn't get. I am done, however, discussing this with you.
Resistance is futile.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 AM

341 posts, read 802,813 times
Quote:
The wusses have the right lane.
I am one, glad to be one. I have a lesser chance getting hurt driving that lane than passing lane. And my car will likely become obsolete with future left-wing Presidents. Just go to youtube and search car crashes, a majority of them are speed-related.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
I am one, glad to be one. I have a lesser chance getting hurt driving that lane than passing lane. And my car will likely become obsolete with future left-wing Presidents. Just go to youtube and search car crashes, a majority of them are speed-related.
The safest, most responsible way to drive is with the pace of the 85th percentile of traffic. If everyone around you is going 80mph, then the safest speed for you to go is 80mph. It is the slow drivers that cause accidents. This is old news, get with the program.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
The 85th thing just applies to a condition where other drivers are driving safe, too. If you are in a pack of cars driving 25mph on interstate 45, or of a fleet of Lamborghinis is averaging 200mph on 610 loop, then an 85th percentile is obviously unsafe. Okay, maybe not so much the 25mph thing, but I doubt any Texas highway was engineered to accommodate 200mph vehicles.

The safest way to drive is to obey, or come close to, traffic signs. The state doesn't put those out there for decoration. And they didn't just pull those limits out of their a**** either. They are set by people with a little more roadside knowledge and engineering experience than most of the people on this forum. Including me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston