Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 PM

489 posts, read 621,148 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Colcat! You have been great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 PM

191 posts, read 772,805 times
CAHomeschoolMom, your cousin might have a hard time finding an apartment in Sugar Land for $700 a month or less. Most of the apartments are over that amount. She might want to expand out her search to include Stafford, Richmond and Rosenberg. If your cousin is already in the Houston area, she might want to stop off at a local supermarket or convenient store/gas station and pick up an apartment rental book or a Greensheet. They are typical in little stands at the entrances of the stores. She might also want to contact an apartment locator service to help in her search.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 PM

Thanks, slnt,

I will pass that on to her. Good info.

I am beginning to wonder if she might be better off renting a guesthouse/ casita from a family. Maybe she could be in a safer, better neighborhood for about the same amount of money that way.

Thanks again!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 AM

191 posts, read 772,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Thanks, slnt,

I will pass that on to her. Good info.

I am beginning to wonder if she might be better off renting a guesthouse/ casita from a family. Maybe she could be in a safer, better neighborhood for about the same amount of money that way.

Thanks again!
You're welcome!

If your cousin is mostly set on Sugar Land, she will probably have an even harder time finding a house with a Casita or Guesthouse. Most of the homes in Sugar Land do not have guest houses/casitas or garage apartments. Perhaps the estate type houses have guesthouses/casitas but, the average Sugar Land house does not. Also, Sugar Land is mostly comprised of tract/custom homes in Master Planned Communities with strict homeowner's deed restrictions. They typically do not want/allow homeowners to rent out any part of their houses whether it is a room, casita/guesthouse. If your cousin is affiliated with a church in the area, she might want to contact the office and see if they have anybody who has a home, room or garage apartment near-by to rent that fits your cousin's budget. Best Wishes to your cousin on landing the job and finding a nice place within her budget!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 AM

More good info? Thank you! I will definitely encourage her to call a church office or two to see if anyone in the congregation might be wanting to rent a room.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:44 AM

39 posts, read 110,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Well, here there is such a thing as a safe and nice apartment. That is a scary commentary on the area. What do just starting out, single people do who cannot yet afford or be tied down to a mortgage? Are you trying to tell me there are no safe, decent apartments in the Sugar Land suburbs??
lol there's no "safe" apartments in the Houston area...period. I've lived at 4 apartments in the Houston area (one of which was in Sugar Land) since I moved out of my parents house (i grew up in Sugar Land ) ranging in prices from mid $700s to low $1000s. NEVER rent in an apartment that's in the $700s and blow. TRUST ME. I lived in one, it was horrible. AND i've done a lot of research on apartments in the whole Houston area.

I've heard about 2-3 car break-ins and 2-3 apartment break-ins during my lease period at ALL the apartment I lived in. The important thing is to do research about the apartment complex you're going to move into and ask them what THEY do about the break-ins. There are MANY apartments that will tell their tenants "sorry, it's not our fault. we're not liable. you're on your own. too bad," but there are a few who take the extra steps to prevent it. I lived in one apartment where they alerted everyone when a break-ins occur, informs every when it occurs, asked everyone to lookout for each other, AND hired extra security guards That was the only apartment I ever renewed my lease at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston