Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
I don't want to see straight or gay couples kissing out in the yard to be honest.

Again, people are just projecting stuff that is not there 99.9% of the time. If you want to perceive a slight then anyone can do so.

Put up a flag if you want, but as long as you do that, then the people putting up the flag are still the ones that are causing themselves to be separated out from the rest of their neighbors. I don't put a heterosexual flag out front. Because who cares if I am heterosexual? What do I have to be proud of there? Wasn't much of an achievement on my behalf.
there is no such thing as a heterosexual flag. heterosexuals have not had to fight for their right to be heterosexuals therefore a "flag" would be meaningless. the gay colors/gay pride is more than saying "wwwoooooooo i'm gaaaaaaaaay". infuriating people can actually think like that. maybe when we have equal rights and protections we will stop having to define ourselves in the fight for them. but until that point in time you are going to have a lot of gays and lesbians talking about being gays and lesbians

i do kiss my partner goodbye in the mornings and when we get home from work. on occasion this is out of doors. i think it'd be sweet if i ever saw another couple do the same - straight or gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 PM

125 posts, read 198,419 times
I guess we just think differently.

I am in an interracial marriage. I am sure if I felt like it I could muster up some sort of pride in that, but I didn't do it to take credit for it. I don't want a flag or a sticker on my car to relate to others in an interracial marriage. I don't feel any sort of affinity to others that are in similar relationships. I didn't do it for notoriety. I just keep my head down, do my job and try to lead a respectable life. If you would do the same, you might realize that people treat you like they do anyone else, on the merits of your actions. If you want to keep separating yourself, then people will treat you separately.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 PM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
I don't want a flag or a sticker on my car to relate to others in an interracial marriage.
Because interracial marriage is legal?!?

We are the United States...not the become a clone country where everyone thinks the same and acts the same and believes the same. Having pride is good and healthy be it you have a Child on the Honors List...or you are a graduate of UT or TAM....or support the Texans or have a sticker wanting the Oilers back....or have a yard sign supporting Obama....which is next to a yard sign supporting Romney...or states they are pro-life or pro-choice on their car...you are right....no one in Houston "separates" themselves from being all the same....we are all the same....shoot me now folks.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I have no problem at all with people being proud of who they are (gay, mexican or whatever)
The problem is when people think that to be proud of who they are involves hating anybody that is different from them.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
If people hate others then they aren't proud of themselves...thus the hate. Guess we will disagree on this one. We have a crazy city that makes it's ball players run through scripture....what's that about? Why is that acceptable?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 PM

43 posts, read 88,909 times
check out Sienna Plantation in Missouri City. We love it and have gay neighbors and it's very culturally diverse. It feels like a small town but only 30 minutes away from the city.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 AM

125 posts, read 198,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Because interracial marriage is legal?!?

We are the United States...not the become a clone country where everyone thinks the same and acts the same and believes the same. Having pride is good and healthy be it you have a Child on the Honors List...or you are a graduate of UT or TAM....or support the Texans or have a sticker wanting the Oilers back....or have a yard sign supporting Obama....which is next to a yard sign supporting Romney...or states they are pro-life or pro-choice on their car...you are right....no one in Houston "separates" themselves from being all the same....we are all the same....shoot me now folks.
Honor roll is an achievement. The Texans are a choice. Graduating from A&M is an achievement.
Being gay is not an achievement and apparently not a choice from what I have been told.
Doesn't matter that interracial marriage is legal. Being gay in and of itself is legal too. We were talking about a flag in the yard to designate that you are gay.

Again, we are just different and obviously come from different upbringings. I don't want any sort of attention for my lifestyle choices nor do I even care to have others know about what goes on behind closed doors, one way or the other.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
So now is ok to display my KKK flag in my front yard? Will that infuriate people until I get my "equal" rights and protection as well?

I really don't care for gay people, but I respect them as much as every other human being. I never question the why and the how, even knowing there is gross part about being gay. But hey, whatever works for them and it keeps them happy. That's just me and you can't take it away. What bugs me is the continuous flashing, hey I am gay and I am here to stay. Is flamboyant, stupid and immature.

I mean sh*it, I would love to see a KKK parade every year in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
there is no such thing as a heterosexual flag. heterosexuals have not had to fight for their right to be heterosexuals therefore a "flag" would be meaningless. the gay colors/gay pride is more than saying "wwwoooooooo i'm gaaaaaaaaay". infuriating people can actually think like that. maybe when we have equal rights and protections we will stop having to define ourselves in the fight for them. but until that point in time you are going to have a lot of gays and lesbians talking about being gays and lesbians

i do kiss my partner goodbye in the mornings and when we get home from work. on occasion this is out of doors. i think it'd be sweet if i ever saw another couple do the same - straight or gay.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Way off course now...

I think this thread has lost its purpose... there are many more like it if someone needs the 'Gay couples are welcomed in Houston' warm fuzzy, one just needs to use the search feature.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I mean sh*it, I would love to see a KKK parade every year in Houston.
That was exactly my point,
some people are proud of who they are, without hating other people
and some people, such as the one that you mention, claim to be proud of who they are, but most of their pride is just hate against anybody that is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston