Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 03:07 AM

6 posts, read 9,385 times

Advertisements

Hello Texans!

My name is Ashley and I live in Las Vegas. I have a husband , Chris and two boys that are 2 and under! I am working on my PHD in Educational Psychology. I am a former elementary teacher. My husband has his degree in Management and an AA degree in construction management. I'm 26 and be is 31. We are both African-American.

Well, we are getting tired of Las Vegas. We are sick of seeing people with degrees fight over $11 an hour jobs. We are sick of not knowing our neighbors name. We are ready to move to a more family friendly environment. We are looking to move to Houston , as soon as we have jobs. I'm looking for a job as an adjunct professor, and my hubby is looking for anything that pays

What areas (zip codes please) in Houston do you think would be good for us. We aren't rich , but we don't wanna live in the hood. We are a middle class family that loves to spend time with each other doing things. We are looking for a suburb with good schools to send our boys. We also would like a diverse, and welcoming community.

Thanks for the responses!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingoutofhere702 View Post
Hello Texans!

My name is Ashley and I live in Las Vegas. I have a husband , Chris and two boys that are 2 and under! I am working on my PHD in Educational Psychology. I am a former elementary teacher. My husband has his degree in Management and an AA degree in construction management. I'm 26 and be is 31. We are both African-American.

Well, we are getting tired of Las Vegas. We are sick of seeing people with degrees fight over $11 an hour jobs. We are sick of not knowing our neighbors name. We are ready to move to a more family friendly environment. We are looking to move to Houston , as soon as we have jobs. I'm looking for a job as an adjunct professor, and my hubby is looking for anything that pays

What areas (zip codes please) in Houston do you think would be good for us. We aren't rich , but we don't wanna live in the hood. We are a middle class family that loves to spend time with each other doing things. We are looking for a suburb with good schools to send our boys. We also would like a diverse, and welcoming community.

Thanks for the responses!!!!
Houston is so big that it depends where you get jobs to determine which area to recommend. There are suburbs of quality in almost every side of Houston plus some inner areas that are decent too. Let us know when you know where you guys will be working. Cheers!

Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM

162 posts, read 554,124 times
Houston is huge. You cant really say "give me a list of good spots", since you might end up with a list of spots that are literally 2 hours apart from each other.

First off find where you will be working. You dont want to get a house in Magnolia in the NW, and find out you are working in League City in the SE, and have it take you over 2 hours in traffic.
Figure out at least what section youll be working in and go from there. If you are just looking for any job, then you can probably just pick a spot anywhere, and then just look for jobs nearby.

Houston has no zoning so almost every area has pockets of nice houses, and ghetto houses. large busy thru-ways, and small side streets. skyscrapers next to small neighborhood homes.

General qualities like "diverse", and "not rich, but not hood", pretty much describe 80+% of the urban area (outside of some larger "hood" areas, and pockets of affluent areas). Most areas (outside the few hood/rich areas) have some good schools, and some bad schools. So you would have to do research on specific schools. For instance, until recently when a new school was built one of the cities best schools (carnegie vanguard) was located in a area considered bad, surrounded by some of the cities worst (yates, jones, sterling, worthing)

you are gonna have to get a lot more specific with what you want.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:23 AM

18 posts, read 37,505 times
Here's my experience in Houston, maybe it will help:

My partner and I (ff) just bought a house in NW Houston. Cole's Crossing to be exact. We lived in this general area for about 3 years (apartment). We moved from the Austin area after my girlfriend finished grad school. She is a teacher and works for Cy-fair school district, which is a really good, and large, school district. I work off of beltway 8 and 45. I have a ~45 minute commute. 290 is the main highway (it connects Houston to Austin) in NW and it has the worst traffic in Houston, but I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me much anymore.

There is a 2 yr college close by, Lonestar College-Cyfair, that is expanding.

We love our neighborhood. One of our next door neighbors is from San Antonio and teaches high school. They are a mixed race couple (asian/caucasian) and have two CUTE boys, both under 2yrs I believe. Our other neighbor is an older lady from Illinois. She gives us gardening tips and let us take her old birdbath she didn't want anymore.

There are great restaurants within 5 miles of us and some that deliver! Quality, authentic, inventive, locally-owned. Rockwell Tavern & Grill have great burgers and duck fries and a lot of craft beer on tap, it's less than a mile from our house. Houston in general has GREAT food! (Indian, Vietnamese, Mediterranean, Cajun or Creole, food trucks, etc). There's a neat dog-park bar called the "Boneyard" closer to the loop (610 and 10).

There are TONS of subdivision in NW houston, but the most popular are Bridgeland (brand new, high property taxes), Cole's Crossing (trees and one of the best elementary schools, Sampson), Fairfield, Copperfield (older but cute), Town Lake and more that I don't know much about. Prices range. Our neighbor ranges from 170s to 400s. Check out HAR.com.

There's my experience, hope it helps

Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
I would recommend Atascocita, it is a diverse community with a lot of middle class black families and is an easy commute to downtown and all places north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston