Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times

Advertisements

In addition to the multiple practical uses for pick-ups mentioned above, think about flooding. I sold my special edition mustang (which sat lower to the ground) after getting caught in multiple flash floods. Once I got caught under an overpass in LaPorte. It flooded so bad an 18 wheeler was stopped waiting for the water to recede, too.

Then I got my F150, and drive right through flash floods.

I still miss that car, which I nicknamed 'the solution to tailgaters.' Luckily it's still in my family, so I got visitation rights. It got horrible gas mileage, too, so gas mileage is not something most Texans consider when purchasing a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
Does the price of gas not matter to these people? I know with my family between work, school and church thats over a 60 miles a day. This city is so spread out i dont see the logic behind these large vehicles. Me Coming from out of state i would have thought people would want smaller cars in this city but its not the case
60 miles a day??? Houston maybe spread out, but that's of your own doing.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
I used to drive small sporty cars. Big trucks and SUVs don't respect a small car on the freeway. I finally bought a 4-banger RAV4 and love it.

In small cars you feel every bump in the road. Not so in my RAV4 and I sit up higher.

I can carry my bicycle in the back cargo area instead of strapped to the back of my small car where it was easy to steal. I also can carry my 15' kayak on top of my SUV. Can't do that on top a small car. My gas mileage is better than the big honkin SUVs.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM

391 posts, read 922,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Its mainly the uneducated folk who live in the suburbs that drives those big ass cars. Not only are you killing your pocketbook paying for gas, you're also excessively contributing to the pollution that's bad for our children's health and the environment.
Vehicles account for a very low percentage of pollution put in the air ESPECIALLY in the Houston area! Our hands down #1 biggest contributor of pollution in Houston are the refineries and factories around the port of Houston. It shouldn't be a big surprise either, this area of Houston always has the highest levels of ozone in the entire metro area.

Cars on the other hand and I am including big rigs, city buses and well basically any form of transportation that utilizes the roads account for around 9% of all pollution put in the air.

What percent of air pollution comes from cars?

So running out to buy a hybrid vehicle in hopes of changing the quality of the air, although a noble thought, isn't going to make an impact on the overall environment. Society as a whole should focus on the #1 contributors because that will make by far the most significant total impact on the environment.

This is problem solving 101. Identify the biggest problem. Fix it so it makes the biggest difference.

So just because someone buys a truck or SUV doesn't mean they aren't environmentally conscience it just means they like driving something bigger than a shoebox and love spending more time and money at the gas pump.

I personally like driving something smaller. It doesn't mean I am environmentally conscience, it just means that I like to be able to easily get in and out of parking garages every single day and like spending money on things besides gasoline.

In the grand scheme of things if you were to put a stop to ALL transportation that uses petroleum products air, water, road and rail, you would only reduce overall pollution by 14%... leave 86% (the big contributors) left to continue oozing pollution.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Its mainly the uneducated folk who live in the suburbs that drives those big ass cars. Not only are you killing your pocketbook paying for gas, you're also excessively contributing to the pollution that's bad for our children's health and the environment.
Cliche statement #547 from a 20 yr old college student (who lives in Austin).

Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM

308 posts, read 638,052 times
Quote:
I was waiting for this post. Another snobby holier than thou elitist that knows better than I do what choice I should make. Thanks so much for your input.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
There's tons of suburbans in Friendswood and Clear Lake. I don't think Clear Lake qualifies as an uneducated suburb.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM

139 posts, read 356,103 times
Quote:
How do you know so much??? Guess I need to have you manage my pocketbook. Wait a minutes...it's my money...oh and i can pay the gas bill. Please pay the note on that IPad of yours while you hang out with your OWS pals.

Take a drive around memorial, west U, Sugar Land, Katy, Clear lake and see how many "uneducated folks" drive trucks and SUVs.

I have no issues parking my truck in my garage or my parking space at work.

Also this may make your head explode...the largest volume Ford truck dealer in the USA is in California!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
I don't get it either as I am happy commuting to work on my skateboard Marty McFly style.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:35 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Because we like Jesus, and Jesus likes big trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston