Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM

6,003 posts, read 3,706,032 times

Advertisements

LA is a great city and I enjoy visiting very much. BUT the one thing I miss when I'm there is decent Tex Mex. To me the Mexican food that I've tried in Cali is just bland. I guess I'm spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
LA is a great city and I enjoy visiting very much. BUT the one thing I miss when I'm there is decent Tex Mex. To me the Mexican food that I've tried in Cali is just bland. I guess I'm spoiled.
Anyone from Houston who has tried all the ethnic food that it offers is spoiled no matter where we end up on this planet. Houston hands down offers some of the best cuisine on the entire planet. It blows much of LA and SF away in that arena!

People here are so surprised when I mention this to them...I get the deer in the headlight stare

Cal Mex is awful!!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
CA Mexican food is not real Mexican food. Tex-mex is Tex-mex. you will find a plethora of authentic mexican food here. gotta get out of the burbs though
Actually some of the most authentic stuff is in the south-eastern burbs... Pasadena and South Houston. I feel like I've stepped in another country inside those restaurants, sometimes with chickens in the roads that lead to them. (At times it is almost unwelcoming to people who don't speak Spanish.)

Also the original Mi Tienda is in the heart of that area, which should almost be a "must go here" place for anyone visiting Houston, on the way to Kemah or Galveston.

I've never explored the east side burbs such as in Galena Park or Channelview, but from what reviews I've read-- same story. Doesn't get much better than this.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,551,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Anyone from Houston who has tried all the ethnic food that it offers is spoiled no matter where we end up on this planet. Houston hands down offers some of the best cuisine on the entire planet. It blows much of LA and SF away in that arena!

People here are so surprised when I mention this to them...I get the deer in the headlight stare

Cal Mex is awful!!!!
Won't lie since I moved to Houston I have gotten spoiled when it comes to GOOD FOOD. Because Houston has a endless list of great food spots.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,083,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
thats bc it is bland lol. plus they try to make some dishes semi healthy but it doesnt really accomplish being healthy or tasty.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 PM

118 posts, read 209,556 times
Tampico Seafood on Airline has good Tex Mex seafood. The Snapper a la plancha with grilled shrimp is really good there.
Laredo Taqueria on Washington Ave has great tacos and beef soup. They have the best barbacoa.
Teotihuacan Mexican cafe on Airline have the best fajitas.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM

174 posts, read 486,051 times
Who can recommend a place with really good menudo? I can make it at home but man does it stink up the house..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,911 times
Tacos La Carreta Asaderos off Richmond has really good menudo..of course, nothing like my Moms . If you want the best I've ever had, it's located in Alvin, but that's pretty far out there, plus they run out of it fairly quickly ...would be lucky to get a bowl after 12.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
What people forget is that "Mexican food" isnt one thing. Mexican food in Texas is different than Mexican food in California, but its still every bit as Mexican.

In California, you get people from different parts of Mexico than in Texas. In California, you get a lot more Mexicans from the states on the Pacific Coast of Mexico (like Sinaloa, Baja, Michoacan, etc.) vs. Texas where you get more people from interior Mexican states (line Nuevo Leon, San Luis Potosi, Coahuilla, etc.). Suffice it to say there are differences in their food. Then when you bring in the local (non-Mexican) cuisine of the California and Texas, they combine differently.

Thats why people who say Texas/California doesnt have "real" Mexican food are ignorant, plain and simple. The are both Mexican, just a different kind of Mexican.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,551,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What people forget is that "Mexican food" isnt one thing. Mexican food in Texas is different than Mexican food in California, but its still every bit as Mexican.

In California, you get people from different parts of Mexico than in Texas. In California, you get a lot more Mexicans from the states on the Pacific Coast of Mexico (like Sinaloa, Baja, Michoacan, etc.) vs. Texas where you get more people from interior Mexican states (line Nuevo Leon, San Luis Potosi, Coahuilla, etc.). Suffice it to say there are differences in their food. Then when you bring in the local (non-Mexican) cuisine of the California and Texas, they combine differently.

Thats why people who say Texas/California doesnt have "real" Mexican food are ignorant, plain and simple. The are both Mexican, just a different kind of Mexican.
Exactly, lack of knowledge on Mexican culture. Most people who say this are more then likely not Mexican but think their so cultured because they own a couple of "authentic" Mariachi music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston