Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,888 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Houston area, and we wanted to know which school district is competitive and have excellent curriculum for all students.

It is going to be very different for all of to move to a new area without any family by. We thought that we will start with looking for the school district that meets our standard, then we will look for housing.

Could you please help us with getting some information, so we can start researching. Hearing from parents seems most logical area to find the good school district.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 07:22 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,558 times
What age are your kids -- elementary, middle, or high school?? Where will your job be located or is this flexible? Houston is just so spread out that if you already have a job location, you need to take this into consideration.

There are a couple of web sites that compare public schools:

school matters

great schools

You can google Houston public schools compare and sites will pop up.

There is also a ranking that is published in the Houston Chronicle.

Another factor to think about is size of the high school / school district. Are you used to a small school district or would big be o.k.? Do you prefer that 1 or 2 elementary schools feed to 1 or 2 middle schools and then to 1 high school. Some of the bigger school districts have feeder patterns where kids get separated as they move on.

Are your kids already interested in music, theatre, sports, band? Are they interested in taking AP classes?

Let the message board folks understand your situation better and I think you'll get more informed answers.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,888 times
Thank you for your input!
I have twin 6 year old, which are 1st grades. Also, my brother-in-law's family is consider moving as well, and they have one 6th grade and one 7th grade.

AP courses are very important, and smaller classes would be nice.
We just wanted them to be able to be advanced in all subject areas. They are already GT students, and way ahead of their grades!

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloves4js View Post
Thank you for your input!
I have twin 6 year old, which are 1st grades. Also, my brother-in-law's family is consider moving as well, and they have one 6th grade and one 7th grade.

AP courses are very important, and smaller classes would be nice.
We just wanted them to be able to be advanced in all subject areas. They are already GT students, and way ahead of their grades!

Thanks!
PRIVATE, the AP and GT programs here SUCK, not to mention if you're lucky to get in, it's all based on a "lottery"

Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,558 times
Texas Association for Gifted and Talented:

Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented

I live in Katy and there's a local chapter as well.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Fort Bend ISD

Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
PRIVATE, the AP and GT programs here SUCK, not to mention if you're lucky to get in, it's all based on a "lottery"
That depends on *where* you are talking about in the Houston area. I don't know about HISD, but Pearland ISD is going to an all IB school program which means that the last two years of HS (diploma program) would give you 24 credits in any of the Texas public universities and many private colleges accept the courses for credit as well. My granddaughter is only in kindergarten, but I like the primary component of the IB so far (she's at the only school that has candidate status atm - more will be added each year).

Clear Creek ISD also has to a gifted program in HS that includes testing in to a University of Houston program for junior and senior year.

Sugarland's schools seem to be excellent too.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That depends on *where* you are talking about in the Houston area. I don't know about HISD, but Pearland ISD is going to an all IB school program which means that the last two years of HS (diploma program) would give you 24 credits in any of the Texas public universities and many private colleges accept the courses for credit as well. My granddaughter is only in kindergarten, but I like the primary component of the IB so far (she's at the only school that has candidate status atm - more will be added each year).

Clear Creek ISD also has to a gifted program in HS that includes testing in to a University of Houston program for junior and senior year.

Sugarland's schools seem to be excellent too.
Actually I just listed all the schools that are "official IB" programs on a different thread.

I believe that all the ISD's have a testing requirement and limit the number of children into the GT program. The AP classes don't even start until high school, which is ridiculous to me.

My daughter is in currently enrolled in Awty where she is in the PYP IB program and I plan to keep her there through graduation because I can't deal with the politics of the educational system. I refuse to claw/fight for my daughter to have a good education, it's not fair. I wish that the public schools were what they used to be, but that's just wishful thinking I suppose

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Actually I just listed all the schools that are "official IB" programs on a different thread.

I believe that all the ISD's have a testing requirement and limit the number of children into the GT program. The AP classes don't even start until high school, which is ridiculous to me.

My daughter is in currently enrolled in Awty where she is in the PYP IB program and I plan to keep her there through graduation because I can't deal with the politics of the educational system. I refuse to claw/fight for my daughter to have a good education, it's not fair. I wish that the public schools were what they used to be, but that's just wishful thinking I suppose
Pearland is in the beginning stages. It's not *officially* IB yet, but my granddaughter's elementary is a candidate school. 100% of the teachers at her school have been trained and the curriculum and philosophy are being implemented there. Several other schools in PISD are in the planning phases. One middle school and one jr high will be next, but the problem is coordination between the levels at two different schools. The Pearland HS principal is enthusiastic and wants to get started, but again the HS is in the planning phase.

AWYT looks like an excellent school, btw.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Pearland is in the beginning stages. It's not *officially* IB yet, but my granddaughter's elementary is a candidate school. 100% of the teachers at her school have been trained and the curriculum and philosophy are being implemented there. Several other schools in PISD are in the planning phases. One middle school and one jr high will be next, but the problem is coordination between the levels at two different schools. The Pearland HS principal is enthusiastic and wants to get started, but again the HS is in the planning phase.

AWYT looks like an excellent school, btw.
That's great, I think if Pearland is successful with implementing the IB program it will make a "world" of difference in the education. The only down side is how much money the district will commit. This is what makes the GT programs "suck". They only have enough money to service x number of children which means that many who should be in the program, don't get in because of budget issues. I don't think budget issues should prevent a quality/challenging education to ANY child.

Yes Awty has a great program!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston