Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,530,463 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess Californians are flocking to Houston from what you all are saying. I wonder if more are going to DFW or Houston? I can't find any statistics on it on the net. I am just curious is all.
Houston has THE lowest cost of living for a major metro you will find. Unfortunately, it comes at the high price of humidity, traffic and other inconveniences. But, overall, there is enough to do there...and the price is usually right at the late night taquerias!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,796,562 times
I guess I am the oddball, I don't consider Houston's weather a down side particularly. We don't have to contend with the sleet and snow.

We used to have Del Taco's. They are still alive & well in Ca? You can still see the old Del Taco buildings scattered around Houston, but now they are Donut shops or something. Its probably better for my waistline that they not return to Houston!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 21,099 times
Default thank you in advance to All

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzntx View Post
I'm not saying that I don't like it here, But there's lots of things I miss.
when you say -things you miss- could you be a little more specific, please.

I am 26 Italian-Mexican woman, and moving to Harris County Houston from Redondo Beach. I do not know anything about houston. I being there once and had a blast. I do know that the people from texas as a whole are great people....

Any feedbacks about Harris County will be appreciated. to be exact the zip code where I am going to moved is 77014.

Thank you!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 AM

38 posts, read 122,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berebeth View Post
when you say -things you miss- could you be a little more specific, please.

I am 26 Italian-Mexican woman, and moving to Harris County Houston from Redondo Beach. I do not know anything about houston. I being there once and had a blast. I do know that the people from texas as a whole are great people....

Any feedbacks about Harris County will be appreciated. to be exact the zip code where I am going to moved is 77014.

Thank you!

Well, maybe I haven't been here long enough to get used to my new surroundings. My husband and I have been here for almost 2 years, and we still haven't made any friends.

I work full time from home as an interpreter, maybe that has a lot to do with it.

I still haven't gotten used to the humidity, I miss the mountains, the beach, the change of seasons. But overall our quality of life is so much better here, than it was in california.

How long did it take you guys or (ya'll) to get used to your new lifes here in Houston?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,577,021 times
Yes, Del Taco is alive and well in California. So are Carl's Jr./Green Burrito.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 AM

38 posts, read 122,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yes, Del Taco is alive and well in California. So are Carl's Jr./Green Burrito.
Stop that!!! you are making me hungry. I having in-and-out withdrawals as it is.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,530,463 times
JZNTX: I moved to Houston from innercity Chicago in 1982. I think it took me about 7 years to give in and acclimate to the mentality in Houston, the sloooow pace of the city and the humidity. I must be a slow learner.
I will say, tho, that I have moved 2 other times to major cities, and it normally takes about a year and a half to make some really good buddies in a new major city. Sometimes longer. Hang in there...Houstonians are nothing if not polite and friendly....and helpful.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM

551 posts, read 2,717,383 times
People are moving to Houston from everywhere, including Ca. For the last few years, a lot of people moved to the Phoenix area, but now Phoenix is overcrowded and overpriced. Houston may be somewhat overcrowded (especially traffic wise), but the cost of living is still very low and the job market is very good for many fields.

Given the current state of the housing market (across the country), I would imagine more people will continue comming!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,764,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
JZNTX: I moved to Houston from innercity Chicago in 1982. I think it took me about 7 years to give in and acclimate to the mentality in Houston, the sloooow pace of the city and the humidity. I must be a slow learner.
I will say, tho, that I have moved 2 other times to major cities, and it normally takes about a year and a half to make some really good buddies in a new major city. Sometimes longer. Hang in there...Houstonians are nothing if not polite and friendly....and helpful.
LOL. As a former New Yorker, I had a hard time getting used to the slooooow pace of life in Chicago. I found it hard to walk around downtown because people strolled so slowly.

It's all in your perspective.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM

16 posts, read 72,761 times
Default You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Californians are flocking to the DFW area, but are they coming in to Houston, too? Why?
I understand many came into San Antonio, but are now leaving to go back to Southern California.
I have not read that Californians were coming in droves to Houston, but thought I better ask those who still live there.
We moved to Spring from Chino Hills and -so far- in our street I've seen at least another 5-6 houses with CA cars in the driveways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston