U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,400 times

Advertisements

I, like many others, have a few questions about the area. I will be there all next week working in mostly the southern part of Houston from Missouri City to West Columbia, to Galveston and everything in between. I am flying into Hobby and I am looking for a good area to stay in that is kind of in the middle of all this. Hobby would be a great spot, but from what I have read I should stay far away from it. So where do you think I should call home for a week? I just want a place with quite a few dining options and no crime. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 PM

8,653 posts, read 16,807,821 times
If you need to be near Hobby - hop on the Freeway and head south to Clear Lake. You can exit on Bay Area Blvd. - there is a new la Quinta at Texas Ave. & Bay Area that is fairly nice and near lots of restaurants and close enough to hop back on the freeway quickly and get where you need to be fast.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 PM

2,584 posts, read 7,840,222 times
Try the Houston Texas Lodging, Bed and Breakfast (http://www.lovettinn.com/main.php - broken link)

That would put you in the "middle of things."

There is one exception to the avoidance rule on staying near Hobby, although dining options aren't that great in the area, certainly nothing like the Lovett Inn. But if staying near the airport is a priority this would be my only recommendation

Hidden Oaks Bed and Breakfast - The wedding venue in Houston

Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 PM

4,698 posts, read 11,709,846 times
When I had business in S. Houston I stayed here: Houston, TX Discount Hotel and Budget Travel - Microtel Inn (http://www.microtelinn.com/reservations/locationdetail.asp?facid=994 - broken link) cause its cheap and pretty easy to get places from. Rooms are small but fine for one person who is out a lot.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 AM

8,220 posts, read 27,081,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
If you need to be near Hobby - hop on the Freeway and head south to Clear Lake. You can exit on Bay Area Blvd. - there is a new la Quinta at Texas Ave. & Bay Area that is fairly nice and near lots of restaurants and close enough to hop back on the freeway quickly and get where you need to be fast.

Ditto on that. There are a bunch of hotels down Bay Area Blvd east of 45 all the way down to Space Center Blvd. West of 45 is mainly mall-shopping and my old neighborhood, Heritage Park. But there is a great Mexican restaurant called Barcena's not too far down that way. Several restaurants down Bay Area are generic suburban chains but if you explore in greater detail you'll find a lot of good independently owned places.

PS - they call Microtel "micro" for a reason!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,187,633 times
I really like Downtown, it's an easy way to get to the airport. There are lots of hotels and easy access to the train so you can go to museums, restaurants, etc!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM

8,653 posts, read 16,807,821 times
Unless you absolutely have to - I wouldn't stay anywhere in the Hobby area - not the Hidden Oaks B&B and not the microtel - while the establishments themselves may be nice the immediate area is not a good area to be in.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM

4,698 posts, read 11,709,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Unless you absolutely have to - I wouldn't stay anywhere in the Hobby area - not the Hidden Oaks B&B and not the microtel - while the establishments themselves may be nice the immediate area is not a good area to be in.
The Microtel is across from NASA in a very nice area, not next to Hobby.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,400 times
Thanks for the input. My company was putting me in a room right next to Hobby, but luckily we had a change of plans and I will be staying on the northwest side now. I certainly wasn't looking forward to staying in the Hobby area after what I have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or