Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,032 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving out of Pearland (currently in SCR) within the next couple months. We'd like something older, more established and with a better commute. My husband works near 59 and Kirby and I work in Sugar Land, so we are both driving pretty far to work each day.

We've looked at Meyerland/Maplewood, Lakeside/Walnut Bend and Sugar Land. We do not need anything bigger than 2,000 sqft. We'd like our purchase price to stay around $300-325k. Elementary schools are important. We plan on having children soon and don't like the idea of having to spend $600+ a month to send them to private school, on top of the after school/day care costs. Middle and High schools are not as important as I could see us moving by then.

We love the area, but we crossed out Lakeside/Walnut Bend because the elementary schools are not good from what we understand. We aren't interested in going north towards I10 or further west, it would only make the commute worse than it is now.

We like the areas of Meyerland/Maplewood that are zoned to Kolter (might be a little out of of our budget) and Parker Elementary. Does anyone know anything about Herod or any of the other elementary schools in the area?

Sugar Land is nice, I just worry that it will be too long of a commute for my husband. His work hours are 8:30-5:30, and they are not flexible. Driving to work in the morning I usually notice that 59 North is a parking lot. Anyone here commute around that time from Sugar Land?

Are there any other areas that we are missing that fit our criteria? We are open to any suggestions or comments! Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
What about inside the loop in knollwood, woodside, westridge, or linkwood? To get to sugarland you could take main to the beltway, over and down and he could just travel up Kirby/buffalo speedway/Wesleyan. Granted you'll be getting a 1600-1800 sqft house, but they're still nice. I believe the elementary is twain which I've heard good things about.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
If you're worried about schools then you better stay in the suburbs, unless you can get your kids in the HISD magnet/vangurd programs.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
What about Ashford Forest, Heathwood,Country Village? Right across Wilcrest from Walnut Bend. People are pretty happy with Shadowbriar,crazy about Westbriar Middles, and Westside HS is one of HISDs best. homes move quickly though. Nice middle ground location.

Meyerland to Sugarland is not a drive I'd like to make. Mixed opinions among my peers even about the better schools in that area.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,032 times
Lost - When we drove through, we were a little put off by the run down apartments that seem to be sprinkled throughout the area. I guess that's Houston for you... I'll have to check it out more seriously. Thanks for the input.

14 - I think this is a common misconception by people that don't live in the city...??? I say that without knowing where you live of course. I just hear it a lot from people that live in the suburbs and I hear the opposite from people living in and around Meyerland. Parker/Kolter/Lovett elementary schools are rated very high, they are on par with many elem. schools in Sugar Land.

Easily - Haven't looked there specifically, but will check it out. Like I said, I love that area. The homes are bigger than Meyerland and we know a few coworkers and friends that live in the general area. They all have said great things.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
I considered the same areas when making my move, ended up in Maplewood zoned to Parker. Herod and Kolter are also great options. Johnston MS is a good middle school so if you can zoned there you're set thru middle.

If the bond issue passes, Parker will get a brand new school, which will be great for students and great for home values. Herod just got a new school which looks gorgeous. Herod is particularly good for a g/t student. Parker, obviously strong for the music program, and Kolter for languages, so whatever is your cup of tea.

PM me if you have any particular questions.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
I wouldnt cross out Walnut Bend yet. You dont even have kids yet so kinder is six years min away. Walnut bend elem keeps improving and you could apply to vanguard at another nearby school. Parts of Lakeside are zoned to a vanguard school. Its a great family friendly neighborhood.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
I did the 59 North commute for 2.5 years and I wouldn't recommend it. Also, don't be overly influenced by school ratings if what is really meant is test scores. Those don't mean as much as the supposedly "Exemplary" schools would have you believe.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 PM

71 posts, read 139,734 times
You can still easily do 300k in Ashford Forest, Country Village and other 77077 neighborhoods zoned to the better HISD schools. Decent commute, too. We live in the '77 and are very pleased with the houses and amenities...same quality as 77079, but a hundred thousand cheaper because of school zone, which isn't adding much, seeing as it's TX (take a look online fore national rankings). For your present situation, the south bank of Buffalo Bayou gets you identical houses, mature, stable neighborhoods as '79 for less.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,262 times
I live in Meyerland, very close to Lovett E and Bellaire HS, and often drive to Sugar Land. Commute is not bad, as it is against traffic in the mornings, and at night. You can also take the back way, on S. Braeswood, all the way to the Beltway. The schools seem to have high parental involvement and support, although we don't have personal experience with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston