Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,020 times

Advertisements

Well I have a Pearland address and my children are zoned to Alvin...How can I register my oldest son for Jr High in Pearland??? Its because he has gone downward since he's been in Alvin ISD and I'm tired of him not getting the education he needs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
School districts apply for and get waivers from the state all day, every day.
The waivers are currently going away for the most part. They are granting very few. Expect to see portable buildings in overcrowded schools or kids being sent to other campuses.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Camacho View Post
Well I have a Pearland address and my children are zoned to Alvin...How can I register my oldest son for Jr High in Pearland??? Its because he has gone downward since he's been in Alvin ISD and I'm tired of him not getting the education he needs...
As far as I know, you can't. Note that if you do apply and get in, your child will not be eligible for transportation and the Jr Highs he would attend are not close. Berry Miller which is the closest is overcrowded and closed to transfers.

Pearland Independent School District

Quote:
The following campuses/programs are closed to transfers.

Elementary Schools: Carleston, Cockrell, Harris, Lawhon, Magnolia, Silvercrest
Middle Schools: Rogers
Junior Highs: Berry Miller, JH South, JH West
High Schools: Dawson HS, PACE

Programs: Life Skills class is closed to intra-district transfers and non-employee student transfers from outside Pearland ISD. Other Special Programs may close as they fill.

Classes: All Pre-K and Kindergarten classes are closed to non-employee student transfers from outside Pearland ISD
You can try applying, but it is doubtful if you will get in unless you are an employee of PISD, I think.

Pearland Independent School District

Old 05-31-2015, 12:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,655 times
Pearland sucks

Old 05-31-2015, 02:16 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
I must say that I remember having at least 30 kids in my elementary classes many,many years ago and it didn't seem to hurt anyone's education. I'd be very concerned if it got to be 35+, but 30 shouldn't be a problem. If there is a problem, it may be in the quality of the teachers in a class of that size.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I must say that I remember having at least 30 kids in my elementary classes many,many years ago and it didn't seem to hurt anyone's education. I'd be very concerned if it got to be 35+, but 30 shouldn't be a problem. If there is a problem, it may be in the quality of the teachers in a class of that size.
The research on that shows that it does make a difference. Class size is not the issue though in Pearland. It's classroom space.

Class size matters most in grades k-3, but the reduction needs to be to around 18 students per class for the greatest benefit. Reducing class size has little effect without enough classrooms and well-qualified teachers.

Class size matters a lot, research shows - The Washington Post

Quote:
The research is there. Class size matters. Even the finest teachers are limited in what they can do when they have large classes.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:28 PM

17 posts, read 24,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Class size matters most in grades k-3, but the reduction needs to be to around 18 students per class for the greatest benefit. Reducing class size has little effect without enough classrooms and well-qualified teachers.

Well, that's the thing. If you reduce class size you need a lot more staff, and suddenly many of the classrooms will have less-qualified teachers. It's better for those students who still have a good teacher, but not so good for those who go from a good teacher to a poor one.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The research on that shows that it does make a difference. Class size is not the issue though in Pearland. It's classroom space.

Class size matters a lot, research shows - The Washington Post
I guess but I know an awful lot of successful
People who thrived in classroom sizes of 30.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
and 3 miles away from PISD sits several FBISD schools under utilized because of stigmas

and 5 miles North sits HISD who loses kids to PISD daily despite no address change
Do you have any friends working for Pearland ISD? Ask them to do "address busts" for people who are in fact HISD and FBISD residents. Why not do that?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:47 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,504 times
I know a few and the kids are quick to tell you things but apartment rentals is the way to get in legally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston