Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
You would still have to had in Tarrant to Dallas County, and add in FW to Dallas city limits.
Which is why I said when you take both metro areas, they are almost equal and thats true. I think DFW (all 11 counties) was 56/44 Romney/Obama and Greater Houston was around 55/45 Romney/Obama.

Both Dallas and Houston by themselves are left of center and both metro areas are right of center. Overall pretty moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM

961 posts, read 1,038,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Harris County voted 49.4% for Obama and 49.3% for Romney.
Dallas County voted 57.1% for Obama and 41.7% for Romney

Yep, those results totally define a liberal city. It's all about those numbers.
You quote city but list County numbers. Break down the vote WITHIN houston city limits to those WITHIN Dallas city limits. Thee are many suburbs in Harris County that water down the figures.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,466,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No, it just means Houston is over twice the size of Dallas & the vote gets watered down.

Include Tarrant or Collin County then get back at me.

Houston hasn't elected a single Republican mayor since the late 70's...Dallas has had several since then.
This is a weak argument at best. Mayors are traditionally non-partisan in Texas, so the r or d in front of their name is meaningless. Rawlings has been a huge cheerleader for big spending projects in Dalllas. He campaigned heavily for prop 1,2, & 3 in the last election. It's huge bond project and most "traditional" Republicans wouldn't support big bond projects. I voted for all 3 because I support infrastructure spending. The republican mayors in Dallas have also been very successful at getting private money invested for big public projects, and Houston could learn from this.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM

18,049 posts, read 25,111,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
This is a weak argument at best. Mayors are traditionally non-partisan in Texas, so the r or d in front of their name is meaningless. Rawlings has been a huge cheerleader for big spending projects in Dalllas. He campaigned heavily for prop 1,2, & 3 in the last election. It's huge bond project and most "traditional" Republicans wouldn't support big bond projects. I voted for all 3 because I support infrastructure spending. The republican mayors in Dallas have also been very successful at getting private money invested for big public projects, and Houston could learn from this.
How about this argument

Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,466,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How about this argument
I love Houston's mayor, and I think it's great that Houstonians elected her but mayors are non-partisan. Ed Oakley was openly gay and ran against Tom leppert and it was a close race. Oakley may have won if he hadn't run such a negative campaign. I don't think he lost for being gay or a democrat.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,514,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
A lot of posters on here have claimed that Houston is more "liberal" than Dallas. However, if you look at the latest election results you have the following:
Harris County voted 49.4% for Obama and 49.3% for Romney.
Dallas County voted 57.1% for Obama and 41.7% for Romney.

It's clear that Dallas is more liberal than Houston.

By the way, some of you said Austin is not really liberal, well Travis County voted 60.2% to 36.2%. So yes, Austin is the most liberal city in Texas and Houston is about half and half Democrats and Republicans.
You are making the mistake of equating "Obama supporter" with "liberal".

Don't underestimate the amount of people who voted against Romney.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 PM

18,049 posts, read 25,111,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You are making the mistake of equating "Obama supporter" with "liberal".

Don't underestimate the amount of people who voted against Romney.
You are also underestimating the amount of people who voted against Obama

Expectations Fail: 'Obama misinterpreted his mandate' - YouTube

Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,514,549 times
So you think it kind of evened things out, Dopo?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,025,525 times
We know you are talking about the city. But city limits are arbitrary. The City of Dallas is relatively small and is hemmed in by many suburbs. Houston includes some far-out suburban areas like Clear Lake and Kingwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'm talking city not suburbs! I'm just trying to keep Houstonians honest. I keep hearing on the forums how Houston is "so liberal" because they elected a lesbian mayor or something. I'm just trying to keep it real.

The only real liberal city in Texas has and is Austin.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,025,525 times
They say they are nonpartisan officially. But in reality mayoral voting tends to reflect the political trends in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston