Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times

Advertisements

If you have a job in Galveston, you'd probably want to commute to League City or somewhere in the Clear Lake area. Better schools and housing options, safer area, more amenities vs Galveston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,395 times
Are the jobs comparable?
Right now both of these jobs are comparable, but growth prospects are more in Galveston, not sure about Chicago.

Where are you from?
I am from Baton Rouge, LA

Do you have any outside issues (family, etc) that would make you lean one way or the other?
Not sure about this question

Is having the most corrupt politicians in the country a minus for you, or are you indifferent (sorry, had to throw that one in!)?
Right now, I am not interested in knowing politics etc. At present I care more about my family and our settlement.

I would like to buy a small home for our little family in near future... till then apartment at around $1000.

My wife is not interested in getting a job. I would like to live in League city, if I decided to take Galveston job.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
If you are from Baton Rouge, then you would know the weather in Galveston. They are dropping to lows in the 20s and 30s next week in Chicago. Lots of people here will still be in tee-shirts.

Like others said, it's more desirable to NOT live in Galveston and commute to work from the mainland.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
For all the responsible reasons, League City/G-town is the way to go.

For all the fun reasons, Chi-town.

If you were a single guy(or,married no kids) who hasn't left the Gulf Coast and wanted to experience something new and interesting, Id personally set your house on fire if you didnt choose Chicago. But, here in the real world, you just have to choose Galveston. The better future growth opportunities is what sealed it, IMO.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
For all the responsible reasons, League City/G-town is the way to go.
This.

I was ready to come in and swoop down about this being a real question, but your last post sealed it.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times
I would say Galveston I love the city if you do not have kids then I would not worry to much schools there suck. You can get a decent size home for $200k to $300k. Now if you want to live out side the city I would suggest very southern end of League City Dickinson or La Marque if you pick Clear Lake or League city traffic is pretty bad during rush hour

Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,395 times
We are not outgoing kind of family. Eat once in a month in a restaurant type of family. We shop in Walmart and at the maximum in JCP. Do you still think losing 12K by not going to Chicago is good idea.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
What do you enjoy as a family? What do you value in life, etc?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
12k is about a 20% chunk of 63k, Id be inclined to take more money and live in Chicago if the job mobility is there. You should look at what you can buy for 220k there and what you get in League city for 190k (estimate using 3x salary for house cost).

Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors: HAR.com

Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
It would be a different comparison if you were talking about Houston vs Chicago as both are cities. Galveston is a small town.

I think it will depend on what you and your wife prefer in terms of life style.

First - weather - Galveston and Houston are tropical - hot and humid. Chicago has seasons - but it is cold in the winter time and does get snow. So your preference may depend on what you are used to in terms of weather. Also, Galveston gets hurricanes, Chicago can get blizzards. You won't have to evacuate from a blizzard, but you will if a hurricane comes to Galveston.

Second - amenities - Chicago even in the suburbs has a lot more to do and you can get into the city for activities on the train (commuter train or *el*). In Chicago, your nine year old will love the Children's Museum (yes there is one in Houston too, but depending on where you live, access in Chicago will be easier). A nine year old will also love the museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, the Botanic Gardens (in Chicago and Glencoe), various children's theater shows, etc., etc. I am sure you can find some things in Houston, but not in Galveston itself. Galveston does have the ocean, but Chicago has Lake Michigan which has excellent beaches (better than Galveston's, imo).

Compare the park districts.

City of Galveston, Texas - Parks
Chicago Park District - Home Page | CPD

Third - schools
Schools in the city of Chicago are iffy, but there are some good elementary schools and there is a magnet program (you do have to apply early for magnet schools). The suburbs of Chicago have excellent public schools. It will depend a lot on where you decide to live.

Galveston is likely to have budget problems since Texas cut school funding. Your child will soon be in middle school. Some of Galvestons middle schools are rated well, but some are rated very poorly.

Galveston Middle Schools - Galveston, TX | GreatSchools

Money - your money will probably go further here than it would in Chicago, but I don't think you would have a hard time making it there on $75,000. Depending on where you live, you may not need a car - gas is expensive, so that can make a difference.

At any rate, the comparison is difficult to make based on the information you gave. Where is the job in Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston