Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasa View Post
We are not outgoing kind of family. Eat once in a month in a restaurant type of family. We shop in Walmart and at the maximum in JCP. Do you still think losing 12K by not going to Chicago is good idea.
To me, this is a no-brainer. If you are from Baton Rouge, shop at Walmart and JCP, and don't eat out often, then yes, it is worth it to "miss out" on the $12,000 extra bucks which you'll probably end up spending on more taxes and an increased cost of living in Chi Town.

I love Chicago...........one of my favorite cities...........in the summer. The winters might be interesting to you at first, but they will get old. Also, I just don't think the city proper is a very good place to raise a child, but there are some great suburbs.

My vote is for Clear Lake, League City, etc. I think you'll find all you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Galveston is going to be more affordable for a single income family - however, you wouldn't want to live in Galveston so you would probably move inland to maybe Santa Fe or League City. That commute wouldn't be too bad.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
Based on what you said, I would choose the Galveston job. You could live in League City, and you would likely fit in very well there. While I love visiting Chicago, I don't think I would want to live there with a family. TX seems right for you. Good luck deciding!

ETA: don't forget that there is no state income tax in Texas, so take that into account when comparing salaries.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
A hundred years ago my family lived in Galveston. We almost moved back a couple of times. Galveston hasn't changed much since then. If I had a child to send to school now nothing could get me back on the island. As far as living there, we had plenty to entertain us. If you want to buy anything, you will need to make a weekly or monthly trip over the bridge.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 AM

342 posts, read 803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
For all the responsible reasons, League City/G-town is the way to go.

For all the fun reasons, Chi-town.

If you were a single guy(or,married no kids) who hasn't left the Gulf Coast and wanted to experience something new and interesting, Id personally set your house on fire if you didnt choose Chicago. But, here in the real world, you just have to choose Galveston. The better future growth opportunities is what sealed it, IMO.
+1. Without a kid and wife, Chi-town would be ideal as in many big time city. For the sake of your kids schooling, stay around Galveston. If the job gives you opportunity to move up from 70 to 200 in salary, do Chicago, but if you can't really move up, stay around Galveston.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM

419 posts, read 906,948 times
Being in Chicago for years, I still don't usually recommend it for anyone. But in your case, it might be a better choice...for one reason alone. If you get laid off from the new job in Galveston, there may be little work available. Yes, you could move up to Houston, but that's an expense. If you're laid off in Chicago, there's a way better chance of finding a replacement job...something to think about.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasa View Post
I got a job offer from two places. Galveston, TX and Chicago, IL. Galveston pays 63K and Chicago pays 75K. I have a 9 years old kid and my wife is not working currently. I appreciate your inputs. Thanks
As several other forumers have said, live in League City & commute to Galveston for work.

I wouldn't even consider Chicago if you have kids.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
In an expensive COL city like Chicago I don't see how a family with a child could survive on one income less than $100k.

In Houston a family of 3-4 can make it off $50k if mom doesn't want to work. Houston's reasonable enough. One of the much more expensive cities, Chicago, NYC, etc I don't see how people do it.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Are you a big city type or more of a suburbs oriented type? Living in Chicago with kids might not be desirable due to the byzantine school system. The suburbs are decent but I perceive the suburbs of Chicago to be more expensive than the far southern suburbs of Houston(Which put you close enough to commute to Galveston) Do you like the Gulf Coast climate? Ever lived through a Midwestern winter? The one possible benefit to Chicago would be for your kids to experience living in a different part of the country. And if you have family in Baton Rouge, it is easier to get there from Houston than Chicago.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM

76 posts, read 277,259 times
I have lived in Chicago all my life and moved here last year. Money definitely goes further here, the no state income tax is a huge bonus! Love the weather here, especially not having a cold winter. I love what Chicago has to offer but I think Houston has many things to do especially for kids - great school districts also depending on where you live. Several people I met have family in Louisiana and it is easy to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston