Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 AM

34 posts, read 60,588 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your feedback. Based on the fact that TSU has been threatened of their accreditation I do not want to spend my time and money there. I wasn't necessarily planning on going to an HBCU but I figured since there happened to be one in the Houston area that I would look into it. If I could I would choose Spelman but I am not pursuing another undergraduate degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, I never said that reputation was absolutely deserved, but there are other HBCUs located mostly/partially in "bad" neighborhoods that you never hear people call ghetto: Spelman, Morehouse, Fisk, Xavier, etc.
TSU is more boughetto than strictly ghetto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
I'm not black but I believe she can get the same experience at UH than at TSU. Purely my opinion but, the students that I see at TSU that frequent UH don't seem to be serious about academics and college in general and are only there because they have nothing better to do as opposed to students at UH who are from working-class families, work part-time or full-time jobs, and are serious about there academic endeavors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The only corporation/entity I can think of that is really high on TSU grads are Alief I.S.D. H.I.S.D. won't even look at a TSU grad's application (this is for teaching, of course).

Deserved or not, it appears that TSU has a poor reputation amongst those who hire. I believe it stems from an incident that happened a few years back involving embezzlement or some form of impropriety. A lot of damage was done.
Lies, lies and more lies. Many successful TSU graduates [My uncle, family friend, and more] out in this world. UH will look better on paper, but it's you're abilities and skills as an individual that's going to get you a job.

I can tell most of you have never truly experienced TSU. And UH can be just as ratchet as TSU. I've been to the parties and frequented the school many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBeauty View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. Based on the fact that TSU has been threatened of their accreditation I do not want to spend my time and money there. I wasn't necessarily planning on going to an HBCU but I figured since there happened to be one in the Houston area that I would look into it. If I could I would choose Spelman but I am not pursuing another undergraduate degree.
The only reason TSU accreditation was under review is because of the administration [most embezzling]; not the academics. TSU is nowhere near losing accreditation .

Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
TSU is more boughetto than strictly ghetto.

Lies, lies and more lies. Many successful TSU graduates [My uncle, family friend, and more] out in this world. UH will look better on paper, but it's you're abilities and skills as an individual that's going to get you a job.

I can tell most of you have never truly experienced TSU. And UH can be just as ratchet as TSU. I've been to the parties and frequented the school many times.

The only reason TSU accreditation was under review is because of the administration [most embezzling]; not the academics. TSU is nowhere near losing accreditation .
If the administration is bad then the school will look bad and TSU does. It's natural for your to be super super super defensive because you're currently a student there but still.

TSU was great back in the day but the administration has ruined it to where just hearing the name leaves a bad taste. It just does.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,551,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
If the administration is bad then the school will look bad and TSU does. It's natural for your to be super super super defensive because you're currently a student there but still.

TSU was great back in the day but the administration has ruined it to where just hearing the name leaves a bad taste. It just does.
Wouldn't he have a right to be super defensive being that he does go to the school? Not to dismiss all the negativity thrown at TSU. However we're on the outside looking in.

Also, I don't understand how someone can rep me and leave me a negative comment. What a childish and coward act whoever that was. I think I got an idea of who it was.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 AM

339 posts, read 798,021 times
UH>TSU. When employers look at resume, they will pick employee from UH over TSU. Just like UT>UH, or Rice>UT, unless your in the medical field then UT>Rice. If I remember correctly, TSU has one of the lowest graduation rate in Texas. If you are accepted at UH, or TSU, go to a place where you can have a better employment opportunity, but if your more comfortable and more happy at TSU, go TSU. I know my employer look at school first, of course if your a Harvard graduate with a history degree, you will be ridiculed for trying to apply at my workplace.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM

766 posts, read 1,245,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
UH>TSU. When employers look at resume, they will pick employee from UH over TSU. Just like UT>UH, or Rice>UT, unless your in the medical field then UT>Rice. If I remember correctly, TSU has one of the lowest graduation rate in Texas. If you are accepted at UH, or TSU, go to a place where you can have a better employment opportunity, but if your more comfortable and more happy at TSU, go TSU. I know my employer look at school first, of course if your a Harvard graduate with a history degree, you will be ridiculed for trying to apply at my workplace.
Mostly true except the Rice>UT part. Rice may have more prestige in the Houston area but UT is generally more well regarded around the state. Rank isn't everything.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

I go to TSU and I value my EXPERIENCED opinion moreso than those who have never attended yet alone step foot on the campus. I'm not saying TSU is this amazing school, but it's not as bad you people are making it. I'd take UH over TSU myself, but seriously lots of your opinions are way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Wouldn't he have a right to be super defensive being that he does go to the school? Not to dismiss all the negativity thrown at TSU. However we're on the outside looking in.

Also, I don't understand how someone can rep me and leave me a negative comment. What a childish and coward act whoever that was. I think I got an idea of who it was.
Yeah, I fail to see the reason why the need to be a coward online as if we're going to hunt them down and beat them. I got a negative comment in my reps too.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Black schools always get looked down upon. Alabama A&M gets it all the time especially when it is compared to UAH, where they had actually had a mass murder. It's sad the way people downplay black schools. It's trifling, pathetic, and lowkey racist if you ask me.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Black schools always get looked down upon. Alabama A&M gets it all the time especially when it is compared to UAH, where they had actually had a mass murder. It's sad the way people downplay black schools. It's trifling, pathetic, and lowkey racist if you ask me.
I didn't want to say it, but you have a point. I wouldn't call it necessairly racist, but ignorant. They hate or dislike what they don't understand or know.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
I think the world still has that ignorance when it comes to school. We have kids from UAH and Auburn who are not so bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: