Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM

75 posts, read 204,077 times

Advertisements

I'm a new Houston resident and I can already tell you that the roads (pot-holes in particular) in Houston are down-right atrocious. Just making several trips to and from Dallas moving my stuff--it was night and day. Say what you want about Dallas but I took for granted how smooth their roads are (no wonder my tires lasted a long time up there).

Richmond and Westheimer on the westside inside the loop 610 in particular--I cringe when coming across jutting sewer pipes or abnormal cracks that are unavoidable unless you want to wreck into the car next to you. My new tires probably won't last 20k miles in Houston.

Bottom line: love Houston but the roads suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,708,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
I'm a new Houston resident and I can already tell you that the roads (pot-holes in particular) in Houston are down-right atrocious. Just making several trips to and from Dallas moving my stuff--it was night and day. Say what you want about Dallas but I took for granted how smooth their roads are (no wonder my tires lasted a long time up there).

Richmond and Westheimer on the westside inside the loop 610 in particular--I cringe when coming across jutting sewer pipes or abnormal cracks that are unavoidable unless you want to wreck into the car next to you. My new tires probably won't last 20k miles in Houston.

Trust me, most realists on this board already know this.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,018,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4string View Post
Highways were defense spending. In case we were ever invaded, we'd be able to move tanks and such around. Aren't we cutting defense?
it is no longer 1950 America. The way we pay for roads is federal and state gas taxes + grants, bonds, cities shifting money around. The federal gas tax for roads has been around for some 60 years or so. and the current way we pay for roads is obviously not working. throw in a handful of anti-tax under all circumstances people/politicians and you don't see much improvement on the horizon.

roads here are bad. kind of embarrassing when some country roads in the outback are smoother and better made than some of the major roadways here.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM

18,042 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4string View Post
Highways were defense spending. In case we were ever invaded, we'd be able to move tanks and such around. Aren't we cutting defense?
Yes,
because we are spending way too much money building infrastructure in other countries.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,125,075 times
As an aside: City Ordinance (Chapter 40, Article III Section 40-84) states that sidewalk repair is the property owner's responsibility; unless damaged through City operations. Call 3-1-1 to make a report. A service request prompting an investigation of the matter will be issued.

Go figure.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,327,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
One if the reasons why you are seeing more toll roads pop up in Texas and other places is because the gas tax has not been raised in two decades and highway funds are often diverted away to other pet projects that have nothing to do with transportation.
Its worse than that. Gasoline tax is a fixed number of cents per gallon. With MPG soaring over the past few decades, the cents per mile driven on the highways has gone down significantly. An unintended consequence of the higher mpg standards.

I support the idea of toll roads, make those who use new roads pay for them not everyone who fills up with gasoline or diesel.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,557,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post

What I notice is that the nicer the areas are the [vulgar] the roads are. I don't understand this one. You drive on Richmond,Westheimer,Kirby forgot about you're tires. And I'll see construction on the roads and it'll still be [vulgar], like what did they ever fix?? I've drove on better roads in the "bad" areas of Houston. I'm use to bad streets in bad areas not bad streets in good areas.

Last edited by Oildog; 11-16-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM

101 posts, read 127,247 times
Yea, especially those around the Med Center, atrocious. I just simply don't understand.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM

87 posts, read 174,176 times
The city streets are a coh issue I believe(richmond, dairy ashford,etc). What I have been noticing is huge chunks of the highways missing. There's some on 45 and 610 I believe. Those are what really bothers me. Folks that drive the same commute everyday may know where they are and dodge them but others that don't and the speeds traveled over them could cause major accidents/deaths. These are a txdot issue. I've also noticed the nice areas with the crap roads. If I lived in those areas and had nice cars I wouldn't be happy. You would think they would be throwing fits over it.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,504,322 times
You get what you pay for.

And when you pay no taxes, you don't get anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston