Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
When you have no kids, wife/girlfriend, no life and bitter about the last city of resident...what else is there to do? lol I guess I would also spend every freaking day trying to convince everyone into my line of thinking.
"HOUSTON IS THE PERFECT CITY!"

Who said Houston is the perfect city? Do you have a link to that? No? OK cool. I do not think Houston is even close to being perfect. But when people lie on here or post BS, I call them on it. It's pretty simply. He stated something that was factually inaccurate. I corrected him. Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think we could solve these questions with a simple survey that has a question such as:

"If there were abundant oil in these four cities/regions, which one would you chose to live in?"

A. Chicago
B. Houston
C. New York City
D. Anywhere in California

Anyone want to wager me that Houston would come in 4th?

I highly doubt it.
Not sure what oil has to do with it, Cali(Silicon Valley, entertainment) New York(Wall street) have their own industries that produce wealth and yet people are still moving from those states(blue) to southern states(red) with less taxes and more pro business.

California's Population Is Moving Out, Census Report Shows | NBC Southern California

Moving firm study: People going south, west - WSJ.com

More people moving to South Florida after declines during the Great Recession - Sun Sentinel

Moving South: New data shows Southern region attracting most newcomers

Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Because for some people its still worth it, maybe not them. And they admitted it, they would love to move back, they just decided that the tax bracket they were put in doesnt give them enough money for the individual and their family.

It boiled down to a financial issue. Which I am not disagreeing with. Thats not my argument at all.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM

101 posts, read 128,019 times
The Census Bureau calculates that in 2011, 58,992 Californians relocated to Texas, a state that is luring California companies.
However, at the same time, 37,387 Texans also relocated to California according to the report.

California's Population Is Moving Out, Census Report Shows | NBC Southern California

Why are these Texans leaving Texas?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM

286 posts, read 555,189 times
Hollwood, more homosexual friendly communties, more lawyer jobs, Cali has 4 of the 5 best engineering universities in the US which create a sector of class of professional jobs that Texas cannot.

Regardless families are moving to Texas, building way more homes here with money from places like Cali.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Why would anyone want to live in West U., when Rice Military is so much cheaper?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Why would anyone want to live in West U., when Rice Military is so much cheaper?
S _ _ O _ _S

(If you went to a good one, it should be an easy puzzle!)

Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
The claim that people in Texas want to be in california is clueless. I retired from a Tx company along with many others from states all over the country as well as many from outside the US. Many of those retiring have the means to live where they want. I personally know of 6 originally from Ca. None retired to Ca. All stayed in Texas for primary residence with second homes in the mountains of Colorado or NM. Their seems to be a crowd that find the climate and perceived hipness of Ca what we all want. They couldn't be further from the truth... Most of my generation view Ca is not worth its high cost and the loss of freedom with the stifling ineffective gov of Ca. Hollywood is viewed as out of touch with reality.

Thanks goodness those who value the Ca lifestyle move back ... its better for both states that they do.

The financial condition of a company, county, state or country are important considerations in the long run... some seem to deny this inconvenient truth.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Here is some info from a thread I did a while ago. These are from 2009 net increases from Metro areas elsewhere to Metro areas in Texas:

Los Angeles:

DFW: 7226
Houston: 4818
San Antonio: 3078
Austin: 2647

San Francisco/San Jose:

Austin: 704
DFW: 519
Houston: 398
San Antonio: 288

San Diego:

DFW: 1035
Houston: 694
Austin: 516
San Antonio: 441

Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
S _ _ O _ _S

(If you went to a good one, it should be an easy puzzle!)
I guess UH was decent. The point is that for some, there are amenities worth paying for. Others will value them differently.

The Rice Military crowd will look around and say, we have direct access to downtown and Uptown, just like you do, plus lots of new construction and since our taxes and prices are lower, we get so much more bang for our buck.

The West U. Crowd will say, yeah, but it ain't West U. Until you live here, with its walkable retail, beautiful environment and independent way of governing itself, you will never understand. We gladly pay a premium for these intangibles and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston