Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,988,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post
I've mentioned this about the inner loop-- the places people actually want to live anyway-- and get called a troll. It's very white here, almost 100%. It seems most people don't like talking about it.
LOL. It really is. Even the whole gentrified thing is mostly middle to upper white people. It just is what it is.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
LOL. It really is. Even the whole gentrified thing is mostly middle to upper white people. It just is what it is.
And how exactly is that different from the rest of the country?

Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM

101 posts, read 127,980 times
Well white people are just more opened towards sexual activities and trying new things. Still, back to the topic. The picture is real but I think there was some sort of pool party for straight people if all that matters. But I am still pleasantly surprised that you could find most attractive people all cramped in one place at the same time.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,988,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
And how exactly is that different from the rest of the country?
I'm talking about Houston. You always want to compare it to every other place. In the city, in the Loop, it's not as diverse as people make it out to be. It's there but not in spades.

Now, back to Midtown Houston and not Chicago or any other city in the country.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I lived off of Washington (not quite Midtown but similar vibe) for 2 years and that's EXACTLY what it's like - especially in Spring and Summer. It's freaking fantastic if you're in to the sort of thing. Even if you're not, there are tons of parks nearby and plenty of other stuff to do for 20-somethings.

SHORT ANSWER:
This is your typical, Midtown 3-day weekend.
This is true and I doubt that photo was staged. I have some friends that live in Midtown\Washington and it's like that on a lot of weekends at several apartments. In fact, they had to start issuing wrist bands because random people who didn't live there would start showing up at these pools. A lot of them now only issue two wristbands per resident.

And that photo is fairly tame compared to what I used to se at the Amli Aprtments across the street from Front Porch.

Last edited by Mr. Krinkle; 11-25-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 PM

847 posts, read 1,751,081 times
Yep....I lived at cheval apts which is just outside of washington ave...and it was like this every weekend in summer time. We had to go to the lap pool in order to actually swim. And they also had to issue wrist bands cause random people showed up and trashed the place

Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 AM

31 posts, read 52,104 times
I used to live at those apartments - the reason that pool is like that is because it is one of the last remaining apartment complexes in Midtown/Washington that does not require wristbands. Even the Post requires them now. It was usually like that on long weekends or when someone was having a party. There is a 2nd, quieter pool at that complex, too.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM

561 posts, read 972,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
ROTFLMAO! I couldn't help but notice that too.

I kind of disregard mentions of living in the Loop as diverse for 20 somethings. Most of my friends and the people I know who do live down there in an area that's suppose to be hopping with 20 somethings and recent grads looks like an A&M reunion and 89% are of the Caucasian variety. Nothing wrong with that but can we get 20 of everyone.
It seems like that every professional event and gathering I go to in Houston. Seems like alot of the conservative A&M mentality where a non-caucasian person is out of the norm.

Definitely agree with this post!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,264,797 times
You know Texas A&M had to create and staff an office for diversity. This was relatively recent - probably within the last 5 years.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM

561 posts, read 972,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
You know Texas A&M had to create and staff an office for diversity. This was relatively recent - probably within the last 5 years.
Yeah my brother goes there and he's had the same concerns and problems with the lack of diversity. Its not that people aren't friendly there, but there's being friendly and being friends. He says that you will rarely find multicultural groups of friends hanging out with each other. As a side note: I did see some antiracial buttons on some kids backpacks at Sbisa dining hall, which should be a major red-flag to anyone.

Back to the post...

As with any gentrified upscale area there will be a disproportionate representation of caucasians, which reflect college graduation statistics. And with the culture of most Asian households having their kids living at home as much as possible, there will be a larger population in the "upscale" areas as whites than any other race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston