Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM

561 posts, read 967,765 times

Advertisements

By the way, paying over a thousand for a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment in Houston is a bit excessive. You could be living in a much better city for that kind of money. A large reason why people love Houston is its affordability, if you're paying the same as other major cities in the country for the same square footage, your truly missing the point and are receiving the short end of the stick.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,142,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
By the way, paying over a thousand for a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment in Houston is a bit excessive. You could be living in a much better city for that kind of money. A large reason why people love Houston is its affordability, if you're paying the same as other major cities in the country for the same square footage, your truly missing the point and are receiving the short end of the stick.
That may have been the case 5 years ago. Anything over 700 sq. ft. is going to cost you money today.

I challenge you to find an apartment inside the loop for less than $1000 in a desirable area with modern amenities. Most of them go for $1200+ in Downtown, Midtown, Washington, Montrose, Heights, ect...

$1200 is also on the cheap side.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,758,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

Huh? Oh please do tell. I can't wait to hear this. Please post these "much better" cities where I can get a 1 bedroom for 1k a month. I'm all ears. This is going to make my night. Let's have it.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,017,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post
I've mentioned this about the inner loop-- the places people actually want to live anyway-- and get called a troll. It's very white here, almost 100%. It seems most people don't like talking about it.
you wouldnt get called a troll if you didnt make posts about expeditions outside of the loop and feeling in danger because mexicans exist there. mexicans also exist in large numbers inside the loop. other black people as well. they are just most likely poor or not and living in the same mostly white apartments/complexes

but again - look back on your post wanting a diverse area where there are black people out steel drumming. in what crazy world does that happen. or i should say some world that exists outside of a Jamaican post card.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM

492 posts, read 786,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Huh? Oh please do tell. I can't wait to hear this. Please post these "much better" cities where I can get a 1 bedroom for 1k a month. I'm all ears. This is going to make my night. Let's have it.
Manhattan

Studio available for rent

1 bedroom apt for rent

Move in Today... BEATIFUL APT...

2 br Very Clean and Spacious Ap near Centre-Elevator

Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,124,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
That may have been the case 5 years ago. Anything over 700 sq. ft. is going to cost you money today.

I challenge you to find an apartment inside the loop for less than $1000 in a desirable area with modern amenities. Most of them go for $1200+ in Downtown, Midtown, Washington, Montrose, Heights, ect...

Yeah, if you want something Houston-sized-reasonable, this is very true. The amenities and appliances you get, you will have to pay for in rent. However, I personally don't mind having a smaller, older apartment if the location is right. I also don't mind old appliances and fixtures as long as they work and are clean, which is exactly what I found for $725. It doesn't work for families, but it works for me -- I love it! In Boston, my boyfriend and I paid roughly $600 each and we had 2 roommates each, a little ways from downtown.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,758,495 times
Dude, can I ask you a question? Are you black? Please don't be offended by this but you keep posting apartment listings in far out poor black neighborhoods. I hate bringing skin color into this but you keep listing apts in really really black areas. Nothing against that, but I would never live in any of these areas you keep posting and most of them are no where near NY. Since you have not LIVED there like I have, you don't understand this. If you are going to live an hour outside of Manhattan you might as well live in Philly. You can take an amtrak train to Penn station in one hour and 20 minutes. I much rather live in Philly and take the train to Manhattan then live anywhere you keep posting. This is the problem kid. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually trying to help you. I know NY pretty well. I'm not bragging, but I lived there for awhile and explored the city about as well as anyone. I'm just trying to help you out there. If you are black I apologize for making it sound like an area is bad just because it's black. Obviously that is not true. But the "specific" areas you keep mentioning are not good. They just aren't dude.

Do you live in Houston right now?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,556,394 times
I don't see why it's hard to imagine that Midtown would be like this during the summer/spring. I mean people regularly chill at apt. swimming pools anywhere. You have the combination of nice apts/swimming pools and 20 somethings around and liquor then you'll have this scene going on a regular basis. When I would hit up midtown and walk pass these apts. I would hear and see ppl having a good time in the pools all the time. Most of the pools is cut off from the street anyway so unless you're a resident or visiting a friend will you be able to really see what's going on at these pool parties. Which exactly what these are pool parties. Nothing more, nothing less.

And I really haven't seen too many ppl say Inner Loop was diverse, it's very white when it comes to whose living inside the inner loop. I'm not saying it's bad or good that's just a fact. The thing is the inner loop is where everybody goes to play. So when it comes to going to a bar,lounge,club,restaurant,etc. you don't feel out of place. Plenty of times I hit up establishments(non residential) to mix and mingle in the inner loop and it will be mostly blacks and Hispanics. Still if you hit up some clubs in Midtown or Washington ave it will be that purposely subtle segregation towards minorities. But like I stated in the inner loop I never feel out of place cuz it's always some one of color when your mixing and mingling outside of residential area's that is. It's a difference between The Woodlands or Tomball but even then nothing on the level of a Vidor,TX or Jasper,TX.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post

So are we saying that Houston is not as affordable as Houstonians will have outsiders believe?

The demand is there for people to live inside the loop, because there are recent grads and young professionals in Houston that have money to waste on the fancy amenities and "Houston sized" apartments.

But wasn't the great attraction of Houston the fact that you can get all this in a desirable area for a huge discount compared to other major cities?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Hmm lets see.. Chicago is a city I know fairly well so let me post some places about that..

Business center w/ free WI-FI *Coffee Bar *On site laundry facility
And thats with an amazing view!

Not as modern as some of the others, but an amazing location!

DONT MISS!Limited time offer for apts in this wonderfull building!

A little more than $1200 but the added views make up for it..

Best priced 1 Bdr/1Bth Apt! Now!

And this is all in a city with ample public transportation that would, depending on where they work, theoretically relieve people the burdens of owning a car. And these neighborhoods are much more walking friendly, and you have downtown in your backyard, with some places having AMAZING views.

If you want we can compare the prices of Houston highrises and Chicago highrises, you would be surprised at how close the prices actually are, just ask for those and I shall provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston