Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 123,401 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,
we are ready to update our kitchen. Could you please recommend a good contractor????
I will need new cabinets. Not sure if anything else. I am not sure even where to start. I just know we need upgrades. How much do you think it will cost provided we want a good quality cabinets.
Also, in terms of time frame. How long are we looking at? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 PM

74 posts, read 124,622 times
I'd expect roughly $20k for new cabinets. Hard to tell without knowing the full extent of your kitchen -- how many cabinets, are you changing countertops, moving plumbing, or electricity, etc. There are plenty of kitchen and bath magazines that show remodels. Go to a bookstore and buy them all. Figure out what you want before you even think of getting estimates.

And assume a 10-20% cushion over the estimate for the plumbing surprise, etc. You'll need the money.

I'd research well before you start bringing in contractors. Neighbors can give you good information about local contractors. Check out references, Angie's List, etc. Negotiate the contract carefully. Once your kitchen is demolished, you're at their mercy.

But still expect problems. Everyone (me included) who's ever done a remodel has a horror story. You just have to decide that you're willing to put up with a lot of short term pain for long term gain. I wouldn't attempt this during a major life shift or busy period -- especially since it sounds like you'll be without a kitchen for a while.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Hard to answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_knife View Post
Hey everybody,
we are ready to update our kitchen. Could you please recommend a good contractor????
I will need new cabinets. Not sure if anything else. I am not sure even where to start. I just know we need upgrades. How much do you think it will cost provided we want a good quality cabinets.
Also, in terms of time frame. How long are we looking at? Thanks!

This is not easy to answer, costs are relative. How much money do you have to spend, how do you wnat it to look, and function? I'd say between 15-20K on the low end, and 30-50K on the high end, or about $50-75 a square foot, but even that is subject to answering the first questions. The good news is that it is usually money well spent if you live in a good/desireable area. Talk to a real estate agent, they know more about this. Don't make the mistake of getting the kitchen of your dreams, but live in an area where it is hard to resell and get your money back.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
I can show you some of my posts and can help you. Here is 33 years experience in several City Data links. Much of the text is sections from my published book on design and how to buy cabinets. This may bore the average bear but for you OP take some notes and do your homework. Please take my advice. There are more quacks, clowns and hacks in the cabinet business in Texas then any other state. Yes that's a fact. One of these posts explains the home made site built, garage built, job built cabinets as they call them in Texas then incorrectly rename them "custom cabinets". They are not custom cabinets, they are painted wooden boxes. Just steer clear of this crap. It's a black eye on our industry. And please stay very clear of the Chinese cabinets, usually RTA. They are so infested with formaldehyde, sulfur and lead that it's enough to cause very serious health issues in small children and many cases of asthma in adults. There are several documented deaths from Chinese cabinet exposure. How would ya like to have that written on your grave stone under cause of death?

kitchen remodel process?
POST #3

Anyone with advice on finding new kitchen cabinets? Regrets, anyone??
POST # 2, 3, 6, and 10

Kitchen Cabinets
POST #6

New Home 42" kitchen cabinets advice on color and upgrade
POST#2

Hiring Trades People
POST #8

What are some brands of good kitchen cabinet?
POST #296

Another New Cabinet Quest, help needed
POST#45

And the granddaddy of them all which earned me thousands of REP points on here. It's older but still very relevant.
What are some brands of good kitchen cabinet?
POST #5

Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Lastly to add doubt to the strong temtation to buy Chinese cabinets because you can get an entire new all cherry wood kitchen for $895.00. I have a whole chapter on this subject called "Why are Chinese cabinets so cheap". Here is just a piece.

China steals the trees they use for the production of cabinets as well as all other furniture products. Due to a bureaucratic disaster created in a treaty from back in the 1940s, this allows them to afford to sell their product so cheap. China owns a large forest inside of Russia called Suifenhe which they owned since the 1940s. All the outgoing trains leave Suifenhe with just one valuable commodity.... wood, and lots of it. No machinery is used in harvesting these trees.

6 Chinese peasants each carry a log to the train to ship to a China mill. In the factories they have huge CNC machines that cut out all the componants that make up the various sized cabinet boxes. When one buys a cabinet they come in a box of pieces that the consumer has to assemble at home. These are called RTAs (ready to assemble). This is not a strong box. Cam locks hold the box together. This and the labor paid to Chinese peasants who make these parts is laughable and allows China to sell cabinets so cheap.

Here is why Chinese cabinets are very bad:

1. The 5 ply panel stock is weak and delaminates in under 3 years. Formaldehyde weakens any glue and they use plenty of this dangerous toxin when manufacturing their plywood.
2.The finish almost looks like the cabinets were used. The finish appears dull and thin.
3. They do not use hardening agents in their clear coat. Hardening agents also allow the finish to dry instantly preventing dust to settle on the finish. You could scratch their doors with your finger nail.
4. The drawer guides are stamped a light gauge white metal, not steel and are of such low quality that it is common to see the drawer collapse under just 15 pounds. Any American cabinet company uses Blum or Grass guides and their drawers are rated at 75 to 125 pounds.
5. You will never ever see a warranty on a Chinese cabinet. Little known to the consumer, say you scratch a door 3 months after your new kitchen is installed, with most domestic manufactures you can call up your cabinet supplier and order just the replacement door you need. With Chinese suppliers you have to reorder THE ENTIRE CABINET!! Make sure you ask your supplier about this and if they say you can actually get the part you need without ordering THE ENTIRE CABINET be sure to get that fact in writing! AND IT TAKES 6-9 MONTHS TO GET THAT CABINET!!!!

Another warranty item to consider is that with all the regulatory issues and other nonsense going on with Chinese wood, many of the manufactures are looking to move their operations to other countries, this presents two big warranty problems #1 there is a high probability that the manufacturer will not be around in a year or two when you need the replacement part, and #2 changing wood and manufacturing plants will cause consistency issues with the finish and color, so your Mocha Java Glaze might look more like a Mochafrapuchino Java Glaze when the replacement part comes in!

Do not be tempted by the price. Your families health is at risk.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM

21 posts, read 32,690 times
I just had mine redone. I would recommend my contractor and cabinet maker any day. PM me if you'd like to touch base, and you can even view their work beforehand if you'd prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston