Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:37 AM

14 posts, read 64,515 times

Advertisements

Hate to clue you, but you could be describing any neighborhood in Houston or anywhere for that matter.......you never know what lurks behind your neighbor's front door, republican or democrat.

and....what exactly is a hick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Clear Lake is the part of Houston to be if you want to find the insane whites who look like they have money. However, it is a pretty laid-back place to live if you have the mindset and are neighborly. There is a much larger issue at hand that is causing this creepy behavior, which I haven't figured out yet. But I have always said if life here makes you act this poorly you need to pack up, leave, and don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

The guy who shot up his boss at NASA lived (alone) a couple blocks from us. Our street became a media circus. The diaper-havin' astronaut lived about a mile from us. So did Andrea Yates. Now I'm watching a lady on our street who is supposedly divorced and lives alone, shut-in. Over many years she still doesn't acknowledge anyone and no one knows anything about her. Except for all the sudden there are a dozen malfunctioning motion-spotlights all over her house. When those were put up last week, strange cars are now creeping/parking in our culdesac late at night. The only other thing we know is this lady jogs/walks a lot, and will pass by you at 10pm with her headphones on singing at the top of her lungs in the street. You decide, but I'll refer you to the quote in red above.

Anyway, to your question:
I believe the "nicer" suburbs are strongly Republican, mainly for economic reasons. Most people don't wave the brown-covered end of their stick in your face when it comes to how you live your life down here. If you like that kind of thing, you can find it in the suburbs of Fort Worth.
Another reason I live on the Westside. This is the heartbeat of Houston. I don't like that attitude in that section and the storm surge during hurricanes.

At least you won't find billboards from private citizens moralizing. I found one in the suburbs of Fort Worth IH-35W towards Waco on my way home to Houston. Man DFW is so tacky--you wouldn't find that billboard anywhere around Houston.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
I don't want to give off the wrong impression, so I will say overall I enjoy living in Clear Lake. I think most people would, too. We live there first and foremost because it is the midpoint between our jobs. It is also relatively nice/safe/clean. The shut-in with the blinking spotlights is being watched by the rest of us neighbors. The word is out and we're just trying to look out for ourselves and each other. However, if you want to see the finest upper-class behavior that Clear Lake has to offer, just hit up the grocery stores, gas stations, and fast food joints on Space Center. All in all this is really the exception, not the rule.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,563 times
my uncle in CA killed his boss and commited suicide too. 60+ yo, in technology field, divorced. people taking credit for your work and then threatening to give you the boot at this age is asking for trouble

Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
my uncle in CA killed his boss and commited suicide too. 60+ yo, in technology field, divorced. people taking credit for your work and then threatening to give you the boot at this age is asking for trouble

Yeah, but this guy was an engineer if I'm not mistaken. So if he had the experience, he should have been able to find another job fairly quickly around here if this was the problem. The incentives for experienced engineers are very good right now, as they were several months ago when he decided to act the fool. Yours is a good theory and may partially be true but I'm not entirely buying it. It had to have been something else. Maybe someone here in the know can tell us why things like this happen in Clear Lake.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Personally I like the Clear Lake area better than any part of Houston - and I don't find the residents any crazier than in any other part of town -- those who made the news made it because they were either fairly well off and so it came as a shock to the public that these so-called normal families could deteriorate ... public interest in crimes seems to decline with the income and homes of the accused or the victims.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 PM

156 posts, read 610,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTx View Post
I think you just found one the rednecks.
THAT was funny...although I'm as far from a redneck as you'll find...

Old 10-15-2007, 10:00 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
There really aren't any hicks on the Houston side Clear Lake. There are some with money in Friendswood. In League City there are some without. You see a lot of tattoos and Harleys in Galveston county.
I think the more low income hicks are in Santa Fe/Texas City area. I wonder where they will go once suburbia (of Galveston) swallows Galveston County.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
those who made the news made it because they were either fairly well off and so it came as a shock to the public that these so-called normal families could deteriorate ... public interest in crimes seems to decline with the income and homes of the accused or the victims.

I know what you're saying... it was news hype but if I'm not mistaken there were no families involved except for Andrea Yates'. I guess there was also a murder against a couple of teenagers there when I was in high school. But...

the dentist who ran over her husband?
the astronaut?
the NASA engineer shooter?

I think these were just hyped up news stories about how hard it is to be white and upper middle class. The way some people act out here in public shows it must be pretty tough... either that or they need to lay off the alcohol.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
PhD PhD started this thread

21 posts, read 103,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
not in information technology
In imformation tecnology, are you kidding? Asians are all in it as well as indians. I've went to engineering and technological schools. There's blacks and hispanics init as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston