Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times

Advertisements

I am in the Gated Portion of Canyon Gate at Park Lakes. Its near Wilson rd and Beltway 8. It is a good group of people living here. Crime is almost non-existent here. Of course it helps that we have a gurded gate, and a patrol car regularly patrols the area. It is also proprtionatley diverse- probablya third white, third black, third Hispanic. Several asian families as well as Indian families. My neighbors are doctors, nurses several flight attendants, a few truck drivers, a few pilots, severak oil & gas employees, a chef, credit analyst for large electric company, an excecutive for large brick company etc. I have not heard any of the other parents having problems with the schools. The seem to be average. I like living here and it is easy access to beltway 8 and only 10 minutes from the airport. I rarely notice airplanes. By the time they are over head when they are they are to high to notice the noise.
I have made a lot of frineds here, and am glad to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,582 times
I'm hoping to get some more up to date opinions of Humble as I will be relocating there in the new year 2015 with a 9th and 7th grader. We are relocating form NY so I'm not sure what to expect with the school systems there. We are doing Common Core here and I know TX doesn't have to do it. Any help would be very much appreciated. We will be living in the Tour 18 community.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:06 PM

189 posts, read 222,475 times
Are you looking at the actual city of Humble or unincorporated Harris County areas?

Old 11-30-2014, 03:50 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,095,979 times
Are set on living in the Tour 18? I only ask because it's zoned for the worst high school in the area. and the other schools it's zoned to are not great either. We don't do Common Core per se, but have our own version of it.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:43 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
So statistically speaking you are 3 times more likely to have a crime committed against you by a Hispanic male then a white male and 6 times more likely to have a crime committed against you by a black male then a white male.
You are assuming that there's no discrimination in our justice system
For one thing, everybody knows that rich people only get slaps in the wrist

Judge Becomes Target of Criticism in "Affluenza" Case | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Quote:
The judge who handed down a sentence of probation and treatment for a wealthy North Texas teen who killed four pedestrians in a drunken driving wreck is facing public outrage and calls for her removal.
Controversy surrounding the sentence has become focused on the defense's strategy which included testimony that 16-year-old Ethan Couch suffered from "affluenza" -- a diagnosis not recognized by the American Psychiatric Association which refers to an upbringing so privileged that a person is unable to discern right from wrong.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 AM

28 posts, read 29,323 times
I've found when whites make up less than 30% of the population of an area, they and their children will likely experience reverse racism. Much worst than what other races experience. There is a cocky, arrogant, uppity attitude that develops that makes whites out to be the enemy. I saw this a lot on the northside in the 90s. At school it was white boy this, white girl that, these white MF's, I hate that white b*tch. When you try and fight one of them they all gang up on you and you have little to no chance of winning. They will then all lie and say you started it and you'll both end up getting punished when you were just trying to defend yourself. You'll experience people cutting you in line and daring you to say something about it, store employees being rude and just a general sense of not being wanted. Yes crime also increase though the crime and even the racism is from a small minority.

Yes there is crime in the predominantly white area. In fact they can be down right rude and vile people to deal with. The difference is they can't yell racism and get people like Quannel X to defend them when people confront their behavior. You should know by now that people have little tolerance for trashy white people and when they try to pull something people are quick to come down hard on them. Not so much with other ethnicities.

I personally like a balance of people. This prevents the cliquish behaviors we often see when one group dominates. The Humble area isn't too bad, but the "northside attitude" I'm going to talk about in a separate thread exist out there.

Last edited by bassman21; 12-01-2014 at 12:41 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,433,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
Humble City is YUMMY! We like Star out in Huffman as well. Not sure how much long ither will be around though. We never see anybody there when we go.
And your prediction was.......... true. Star Cafe closed about 18 months ago. It's being remodeled into an event venue. They just resurfaced the parking lot last week.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:50 PM

672 posts, read 838,228 times
I moved to Atascocita (Timber Forest) 2 years ago from NY. We love it so far (wife, 2 kids under 8). We're renting a house for now but we're planning on building in Atascocita Forest next year. We found an awesome church, made a lot of friends, and our daughter goes to a great school (Vista Academy) so we plan on staying here long term. Easy commute into downtown (I drive to Park and Ride and take the bus). Lots of shopping in the area and the least amount of traffic of all the highways from what I've seen is the 59 (Eastex).

Kingwood is another great area here with amazing schools and tall forest like trees. Also, we're getting a Costco soon in Humble and a new theme park about 20 minutes north which is AWESOME, so we look forward for many more years here to come.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:00 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,433,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
Also, we're getting a Costco soon in Humble .
Wait, wait, wait, back that truck up.

Costco in Humble? Link please?

Old 12-01-2014, 04:47 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,662,468 times
I agree, whats this about a Costco in Humble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston