Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 AM

30 posts, read 84,122 times

Advertisements

Hi All....As we (family of 4) continue to research our move to Houston, my husband, who will be working in the Energy Corridor, is starting to question commute times. Keep in mind we are coming from CT and are used to traffic (ie. NYC commuting up to 1.5/hrs). This is something he'd like to avoid once we move ;0) That being said, we have been looking at Katy (Cinco Ranch/Green Trails)...The Woodlands, Sugarland, Cypress when considering a possible buy....HOWEVER, this may be a shorter venture...2-3 years so I am not opposed to renting...that may help bring us in a little closer...(We cannot dish out 600K+ for a home in Memorial but could certainly rent). Schools are a major priority for us...As is being @ kids in a family friendly area. ANY INFO on approx commute times would be a help....He usually leaves the house abt 7am for an hour commute now. We have a 4 and 7yo. They will be entering 3rd and Kinder in the Fall. Any thoughts/help/comments are appreciated as we know NOTHING about Houston! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
I'm still partial to Green Trials for you, commute likely 20 - 30mins in rush hour to clay rd and beltway 8 but I haven't driven it (note beltway 8 is tolled $1.40 to get to clay rd). The good thing is you have more than one alternate route if there's an accident on the I-10 or 8. Forget the Woodlands and Sugerland, there's no reason to extend your commute time just to live in another suburb. Cinco Ranch will be slightly further but if you like the master planned community thing it's very doable.

I don't know much about Cypress other than the 290 is hell anytime of day and its supposed to be under construction soon so it may be best to avoid it.

If your rental budget is still up to $3500 you have some options including west memorial, there are rentals in our neighborhood for that price. As with buying, you may have to compromise size for location but once you live here you love the convenience to everything and won't want to leave. The I-10 feeder roads from the 610 to the beltway and just beyond is shopping central as is Westheimer not to mention the Memorial Mall and City Center and a 24hr Walmart at I-10 and 8.

Just remember, this is Houston, its ugly on the surface but underneath the billboards and strip malls its a great place to live.

p.s. have you been checking Houston map search and Houston real estate map for rentals?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks BDFP....As far as Memorial rentals...3500 is def doable...possibly more if any utilities are incl. What about Memorial schools? Which ones should we try to aim for? Does Memorial have a neighborhood feel? My goal is to rent somewhere where if we do decide to stay we could afford to buy in. We are used to sacrificing size coming from CT...We live in a barely 2000sf home that feeds to great schools but we paid almost 400k 10 years ago....wdyt?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Utilities won't be included assume $250 electric in summer, $100 water, $150 cable/internet/phone, $20 gas in summer more in winter but gas heating is less than summer a/c.

West memorial is very family freindly and there have been alot of discussions of this zip over the last few years, do a forum search on 77079, lots to read. Then check Maps to check the school attendance zones vs the neighborhoods and har.com listings to give you an idea of prices. At $400k it's a stretch but doable west of Kirkwood especially if you're already living here, the mums groups get wind of houses before they go on the market!

Happy researching !

Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,770 times
All of the areas you mentioned are nice. Katy and the Woodlands have great schools and are family friendly but you would be looking at 40-60 minute commutes or more depending on time of day and where exactly in those areas you are.

Definately avoid Cypress or anything else that causes you to have to drive 290. 290 is absolute hell and is to be avoided at all costs. It is a complete parking lot allready and likely to be undergoing construction.

Sugarland can be very nice and would probably be an easier commute than Katy or the Woodlands in my experience.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Utilities won't be included assume $250 electric in summer, $100 water, $150 cable/internet/phone, $20 gas in summer more in winter but gas heating is less than summer a/c.

West memorial is very family freindly and there have been alot of discussions of this zip over the last few years, do a forum search on 77079, lots to read. Then check Maps to check the school attendance zones vs the neighborhoods and har.com listings to give you an idea of prices. At $400k it's a stretch but doable west of Kirkwood especially if you're already living here, the mums groups get wind of houses before they go on the market!

Happy researching !
I'm thinking if she has 42,000k or more to throw around on rent, she'll probably be able to afford to buy in that part of town.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellg414 View Post
Thanks BDFP....As far as Memorial rentals...3500 is def doable...possibly more if any utilities are incl. What about Memorial schools? Which ones should we try to aim for? Does Memorial have a neighborhood feel? My goal is to rent somewhere where if we do decide to stay we could afford to buy in. We are used to sacrificing size coming from CT...We live in a barely 2000sf home that feeds to great schools but we paid almost 400k 10 years ago....wdyt?
400k with 2500 sf to good schools is around what the 77079 is starting at now. Similar to what you have experience dealing with.Plus updates will be needed. But you most likely will make a profit on your sale.

Nottingham or Nottingham Forest you could probably find something to buy in the Low 400s.Very rarely you can find a small house in Wilchester. Great area, amazing 13 mile long park, great community clubs in the area as well, ie. Nottingham Forest Club.

Second choice for me would be Green Trails in Katy.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the info EasilyAmused...
I dont have 42K to throw around BUT I am extremely hesitant to buy due to our experience here in CT. Spent 400K on house...dumped 150 in renovations and NOW lucky to sell at 25K below what we paid...My concern is if this job turns out being 2-3 years and we have to sell....will we take another loss? The hesitation is all from experience. Yes, our monthly income is good and could afford a decent rent or mortgage payment but, due to mrket conditions up here, we will be coming down with very little of a down payment and the added concern of a short term stay (2-3yrs).

Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellg414 View Post
Thanks for the info EasilyAmused...
I dont have 42K to throw around BUT I am extremely hesitant to buy due to our experience here in CT. Spent 400K on house...dumped 150 in renovations and NOW lucky to sell at 25K below what we paid...My concern is if this job turns out being 2-3 years and we have to sell....will we take another loss? The hesitation is all from experience. Yes, our monthly income is good and could afford a decent rent or mortgage payment but, due to mrket conditions up here, we will be coming down with very little of a down payment and the added concern of a short term stay (2-3yrs).
Who knows what the future will bring, but your purchase money would be much safer in Memorial than a true suburb. Selling a house before you even put it officially on the market, for a good profit, is currently occurring in this area. So a 2-3 year habitation currently will lend itself to profit and an easy sale. Again the key term is currently. New tax laws and possible elimination of tax credits could change the ball game on higher end homes... everywhere.

But if you are unsure, definitely rent. And if you rent, do it close to work. No point sitting on traffic for a rental. Har.com is great resource for buying and renting.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
You wont habve that experience in 77079 imo. You will probably turn a good profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston